Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EP Status Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2000, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

EP Status Questions

I am about to fly the last 10K miles needed for EP status and have a couple of questions:

1. I will make EP before the end of Aug, how long do I retain the status? Till the end of 2001?

2. If this is the case, will I get one set of VIP2 upgrades for this year (2000) and another for next(2001)?

Thanks for any answers anyone can give.

Madra
Old Aug 4, 2000, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
It's my understanding (I also expect to make EXP this year, so I've checked, but maybe someone who's already there will correct me) that:

1. All AA status runs from when it's earned through the end of the following program (not calendar) year. Any status earned now runs through Feb. 28, 2002.

2. You get one set of VIP2 upgrades when you qualify. To get another set next year, qualify again next year.

Congratulations! If I make it, it will be in the last half of December...
Old Aug 4, 2000, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply Efrem! Though I would have preferred better news on the VIP2 front. :-) I was hoping that they'd send a welcome kit & accessories for this year, then another when the time comes to post them out in 2001.

Hope you make it yourself before the end of the year. Making it by August is pretty heavy going, especially as every one of my 100K miles will have been in economy. Hence the heightened appreciation for those VIP2's.

Madra
Old Aug 4, 2000, 9:54 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Efrem,

Actually you should get a second set with your 2001 materials. And these coupons are simply amazing.
Old Aug 4, 2000, 9:56 pm

I qualified last year for the first time in September.

Got welcome kit within 4 weeks of new card, luggage tags and 4 VIP II's that expired in 5 months.

Then like everyone else in February I got renewal kit with just an updated handbook and 4 more VIP's that expired in a year.

I expect nothing when I requalify this year in October untill the mass mailing in February.
Old Aug 5, 2000, 3:53 am

Programs: OWEm (lifetime OWSapph x2), lifetime *G
I qualified for EXP in June and got the kit in July. Included were four VIP2 certs that expire July 31, 2001, yes they are valid for 12 months.

Meanwhile, I am surprised to freakflyer's and 747's posting mentioning additional VIP2s sent out in February. Sounds like fun!
Old Aug 5, 2000, 2:43 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
This is true for me too ! American has been real good to us EP's . Last year I qualifyed in Sept. and received my VIP's and again in Feb. when the program started. I have 15k to go and I will have hit the 100k mark again this year for an expected 4 more certs by Sept. and again in Feb. All on economy.

------------------
MRKEY
Old Aug 5, 2000, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
Hey, MRKEY, hate to be the bearer of bad news but it only works like that the first time you qualify. Since you've already gotten your VIP2s this year, in February, you won't get them again until next February. I sure wish it was the other way, but don't count on AA handing out 8 systemwides every year... :-(
Old Aug 6, 2000, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks to all for the correction to my misunderstanding about the VIP2's. Now I'm even more certain to make a last-minute mileage run if that's what it takes!

As for getting the extra four certificates in your first year only: does anyone know what happens if you make EXP one year, fall back to "mere" PLT the next, then reach EXP again? Do you get the extras the second time too?
Old Aug 6, 2000, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
The bottom line is you get the VIP2s when you reach EXP from PLT, at whatever point that happens during the year. But when you're re-qualifying as EXP from year-to-year, you only get them each February when the program year starts anew.
Old Aug 7, 2000, 12:34 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
jAAck and Efrem That does make sense about re-qualifing for EP and getting the 4 VIP's in Feb. Let me pose anoter question. I'll have my 100k by the end of Sept. again this year. I really hate to accumulate another 40-50k qualifing miles before the end of the year just to have them start at '0' in Jan 2001. I know I get the bonus miles and all that and million mile qualifing miles, but are ther other stratgies (other than other airlines) for miles earned after 100k or should I just be grateful?

------------------
MRKEY
Old Aug 7, 2000, 3:57 am

jaack...glad your're back! You other guys, congrats, see you ont 'the desk'..you'll get lots of perks besides the VIP2's..you'll never want to be plat again..right jaack?

[This message has been edited by RDURES1 (edited 08-07-2000).]
Old Aug 7, 2000, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mrkey,

I was in an analogous situation with AA and Delta a few years back. I had made PLT, had no shot at EXP (it was just by points then and I fly mostly discount coach) and could hit DL Gold Medallion (their PLT equivalent) by putting my year-end flights there. I did, since I thought I'd be flying DL the following year, but in retrospect it was sort of a waste. Didn't lose any miles, since DL doubled them too, but they got spread over two programs.

It would be nice if they had threshold bonuses for people who go over the minimum for a level but aren't hitting another level, but those pretty much went the way of the dodo bird across the industry. As things are, I'd just stick with AA. If you really fly a lot with them, you might make it onto their internal "super-EXP" list with lots of undocumented goodies. There was an article on this (about all airlines, not just AA) in the Wall Street Journal early this year.
Old Aug 7, 2000, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for your answers (& more) on this topic!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.