Wiki Posts
Search

AA Seating?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2000, 8:15 pm
ALW
Original Poster

AA Seating?

I was looking at the seating maps and specs (for MD80, F100, 763, 738) on aa.com (not interactive) and they seem a bit confusing.

For instance, is the 763 really still 31-32" (and the 738 32") in economy? Surely that's _before_ the removal of two rows!? The MD80 is 33-35" and the F100 is 35", which sound like post-removal pitches.

It seems strange (or maybe it isn't) that the 763 would have the best pitch in J (40") but the worst in Y (31-32").

And one of the segments I looked at (SFO-ORD) was listed as a 763 with two classes. But they don't show a two-class layout. Do they fly with First Class empty in that case? Or do some lucky J folks get to fly in First Class seats on a domestic run? AC had two different two-class layouts, domestic and overseas, but I don't see a two-class 767 on AA's site.

Are the 738's front-cabin seats really that much wider (21") than most? 738 has widest seats and shortest pitch, 763 has almost-narrowest but best pitch? Are these differences noticeable?

Thanks!
andrew

Old Aug 2, 2000, 8:44 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
Andrew...

The large bodies (767, 777) and the newer 738s will be reconfigured later in the year. They are doing the domestic, smaller part of the fleet first.

When AA flys a 3-class aircraft and only offeres two types of service (first and coach) the business section is sold as coach. However, all business seats are blocked for premium members until 2 hours before departure.

The 738s are a pretty new machine in AA and yes, the seats are a little wider, but the pitch is not really that bad.
Old Aug 3, 2000, 7:08 am
ALW
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick explanation. If Business Class seats are reserved for those with status, and sold as coach, does that mean a "First" class ticket gets you those monster seats? (Like CP's 767s, where unlike AC they only had one configuration for all flights)? It (First) costs the same on a two-class 763 flight SFO-ORD or an MD-80 SFO-DFW. [err, as part of an SFO-xxx-YYZ itinerary, that is!]

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 08-03-2000).]
Old Aug 3, 2000, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Andrew...

If you have a First Class ticket for a flight on an AA 763 from SFO to ORD, for example, and the flight only offers First Class and Coach service (as I believe is still the case in that market), then you will be seated in the "premium" First Class compartment with the really great seats. I've been there a couple of times between ORD and SFO and it's really nice. Hope you can experience it - good luck!
Old Aug 3, 2000, 11:42 am

Unfortunately when a 767 is being used as a first/coach configuaration, the ratio of first class seats to coach is very small compared to something like a 757. This hurts upgrade chances.

I'm having a try at getting into "monster seat" class for an upcoming ORD-SFO flight, but I'm currently booked for row 9 of "coach"

When are the 767's getting fully flat seats? Not that you need a bed to travel from ORD to SFO, but I've never tried them and this would be a nice taste.

Old Aug 4, 2000, 1:55 am

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
I must agree with abdawson1. On the 767 on a trans-con, there is usually only 1 seat in first that is the inventory for upgrades. Therefore, the Exec Plat usually gets it. If there isn't one on the flight, the Platinum fighting begins
Old Aug 4, 2000, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
Interesting, I've never had much problem getting the upgrade on these flights, often getting them at my 100-hr window or sometime prior to the airport. I've always assumed that lots of folks don't want to burn the upgrades for P class if they're getting a J seat anyway. I would guess, though, that it's a little more competitive from ORD. The flights I have good luck with are between MIA-JFK, MIA-SFO, and DFW-SFO.
Old Aug 4, 2000, 11:44 am

Actually, I was referring to getting an upgrade to First Class on a Non-Transcon 767 flight. That's when of the 200 odd seats only 14 of them are first class.

Upgrading from Coach to Business on a 3 class trans con has never been a problem for me either.

Is it possible to get into first class using upgrades, when a business class is available?
Old Aug 4, 2000, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
abdawson1, that's what i'm talking about, too. I've found that it's pretty easy, at least for EXPs, to get into the front cabin on 3 class a/c with 2 class service. Many people who could upgrade choose not to because they're sitting in a Biz seat anyway, just with regular Y service. Even MIA-SFO, which has some 767-300 service but operates only as 2-class, isn't usually too bad. I've even seen a few empty F seats on this route from time to time. Me, I'll always a take the F seat over the J seat if I can get it!

As for your other question, unfortunately there aren't any double upgrades on AA. If you're in revenue Biz you can upgrade to F with miles, but not with stickers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.