Wiki Posts
Search

AA won't pay for hotel when stuck overnight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2000, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HH, & IHG Dia; Bonvoy Titan
AA won't pay for hotel when stuck overnight

Last night in Pittsburgh, I was surprised to be told that AA would not pay for a hotel to stay in because my flight was cancelled due to weather. The counter agent rather insolently told me that no airlines ever pay for a hotel due to a weather-related cancellation.

As you probably realize, that is not true. I It has been my experience that Southwest and Delta always, and TWA sometimes, do pay for such stays. TWA can be sneaky: I was once in a line where the agent was handing out vouchers to the people at the front of the line, then ran out of vouchers and told subsequent people that TWA does not pay for hotels. Did he think we were not paying attention?!

Was this a counter agent error or AA policy?
Old Jul 29, 2000, 5:43 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
This is a tough one - I have seen it go both ways, although I have to say, for the most part the airlines do NOT provide hotel vouchers for WEATHER delays, only MECHANICAL.

Sorry.
Old Jul 29, 2000, 5:55 pm

As far as I know airlines don't provide hotel/meal vouchers due to weather delays/cancellations as it's not their fault for hte delay or cancellation.. however in the case of mechanical problems, they will provide vouchers.. I know for a fact taht United will not provide hotel/meal vouchers due toe weather/ATC delays/cancellations..
Old Jul 29, 2000, 8:56 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
I must also agree.

"Acts of God" do not require the airline to compensate you for a hotel, etc. Only when it is their fault for the delay that they are required to give out the vouchers.
Old Jul 29, 2000, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
A couple of years ago, on a UA flight to ORD from LAS, we had to land at Omaha to refuel as ORD had been closed for several hours due to severe thunderstorms. When we finally got to ORD six hours late, UA offered all continuing pax 50% off hotel coupons for those with missed flights. ORD was a zoo that night, and since we had missed the last connecting flight on any airline back to YYZ, we had no choice but to stay in Chicago. All the airport hotels were completely booked and the downtown hotels we checked by phone were also full, so we wound up sleeping at the airport. But at least UA did offer some kind of hotel coupon, even though we couldn't use them. I think its totally at the airlines' discretion whether or not the want to offer some kind of "compensation" for weather related delays.
bj-21.
Old Jul 29, 2000, 11:46 pm

Most airlines don't pay for the hotels due to weather-related delays. I know for sure UA and AA don't, but do on occasion, especially around the holidays. Also, if you are a gold, platinum, executive platinum, full-fare first class, or international (Europe), then AA will pay for your room no matter what, but you must tell the agent as most of the people in the same line will just get their distress letters.
Old Jul 30, 2000, 4:59 pm

Most airlines will not pay for the hotel during weather problems although many have been generous in my experience. American paid for my hotel once due to weather and Cathay Pacific put me up at the Hyatt Bali on an award ticket.

Old Jul 30, 2000, 5:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
Yes, there is no obligation for airlines to pay for hotel stays due to wx related problems. So, it can go both ways. Just this past Friday, AA paid for overnight hotel at the DFW Hyatt, gave phone cards, and amenity kids to the pax of a particular delayed flight.
Old Jul 30, 2000, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
I think it depends on a combination of factors. Several years ago, I was stuck in 'Dalllas on my way to Palm Springs. The 6 pm flight was postponed an hour every hour. At one point flights were leaving and they took the plane that would have been our continuing flight and used it elsewhere. At about 11 pm. they boarded us, but couldn't get the luggage on fast enough for the crew to still fly, So we deplained and they put us up at the Hyatt - and we all had to figure out ourselves how to get to Palm Springs the next day. They got a nasty letter from me, and their answer at first was to blame weather and giving me a minimal voucher. I wrote again pointing out that the delay was weather, but the cancellation was a human decision because flights were leaving and our plane was one of them. They wrote back apologizing and I got some miles in addition. So, you really have to know all the details. They can say it is weather, but the full story may not be.

------------------
DtG
Old Jul 30, 2000, 9:41 pm

Here's my experience with UA and AA

UA: Not unless you're 1K...and if you are, they'll pay for it.

AA: If you're Gold or above, PLUS you're a member of the Admirals Club...then they'll pay. Otherwise, good luck.
Old Jul 31, 2000, 5:41 am

You have been forewarned. AA will not pay for your hotel. If you think a hotel is important, fly another airline. This company will continue to disappoint. When you run into trouble, they will not help. You are on your own. It is very important to understand this. Through your experience, we have learned. Don't let the door hit you on the way out twice.
Old Jul 31, 2000, 6:52 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Another reason not to fly AA. Most of the time when an airlines comps you anything, it is due to the goodness of the agent and not the rules. I find DL works very well with me and AA could not care. Although, my only experience with AA is out of JFK and I do have to argue with TSA for food certs. Usually I go to DL when my TSA flight is delayed and they handle the food cert for me and charge TSA. My problems with AA at JFK have resulted in agents refusing to speak English to me.
Old Jul 31, 2000, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Never yet been stranded overnight by AA but I was on a CO flight in '92 when DEN was shut down due to weather (this was in June) and I missed my flight to DCA. All CO did was provide a list of hotels which would provide a specially-negotiated rate. Not the best but not the worse treatment.
Old Jul 31, 2000, 11:31 am

Based on my experiences @ DFW, AA provides to those stuck overnight due to weather hotel vouchers and an amenity kit to Admiral's Club members, Gold, Platinum, Exec Platinum, etc. UPON REQUEST. "Little people" -- those without membership or status -- are directed to the chairs around the gates.
Old Jul 31, 2000, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Another important point on getting the voucher and the hotel room booking is to proceed to the Admiral's Club. The line will be significantly shorter there. If you don't want to wait, and you are a Platinum or an Executive Platinum, you can book your own hotel and send the bill to the airline. I have always been reimbursed as long as the cost is reasonable (a motel-type property).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.