Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The FA's making up their own rules when they tell you...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, MHC, Amex Plat
The FA's making up their own rules when they tell you...

I'm curious what kind of experiences others have had with "new" rules FA's have made up to control our lives while on board. For example, on a recent LAX-HNL F class it is now apparently AA policy that the FA cannot give you an extra mini of alcohol. Evidently, this policy change wasn't made public until after I boarded.

If you could share your response and class of service, I'm sure it will make for some interesting reading.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Not even worth going into. It's nothing new. Esp since AA until very recently never gave FA's new on board service training in 10 years until recently and no inflight supervisor, it's been hit or miss for quite some time now. They made it up as they went along.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's possible this is in the FA manuals, but not routinely enforced. After the Delta baby slapping incident, I wouldn't be surprised if FA's are being more careful.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

When was there ever a "rule" that it was allowed? It's always been YMMV.

Last edited by dayone; Feb 18, 2013 at 10:51 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Georgemia
I'm curious what kind of experiences others have had with "new" rules FA's have made up to control our lives while on board. For example, on a recent LAX-HNL F class it is now apparently AA policy that the FA cannot give you an extra mini of alcohol. Evidently, this policy change wasn't made public until after I boarded.

If you could share your response and class of service, I'm sure it will make for some interesting reading.
I recently had the opposite experience. My request for a Bloody Mary was met with the FA handing me an unopened can of the mix, two minis and a glass full of ice. Why did she have no interest in mixing it for me? Well in her own words, "I want you to make it just the way you like it".

Five hours later, at the end of the flight, my empty glass was still sitting there. Apparently she wanted me to return it to the galley too.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
The Eagle FA's are quite generous (seems minis always come in even #'s).Even going so far as to include some guy across the aisle who thanked me.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG AMB, Marriott GLD
I've been told on several occasions by Eagle flight attendants to disconnect my headphones from my iPad or iPhone. I hate it.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pssteve
The Eagle FA's are quite generous (seems minis always come in even #'s).Even going so far as to include some guy across the aisle who thanked me.
Last week the FA said "All I have of the Jack Daniels Black is 4" so I'll put them aside for you". ^ Doesn't get much better than that.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Georgemia
I'm sure it will make for some interesting reading.
I would guess that a discussion of who was, and wasn't given extra alcohol will not make for interesting reading. But I'm always willing to be proven wrong

Cheers.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL
I was told that it was illegal to use Flightaware to track the flight I was on using GoGo.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by S314KY
I've been told on several occasions by Eagle flight attendants to disconnect my headphones from my iPad or iPhone. I hate it.
Is this during takeoff and landing, at random, other?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG AMB, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by richarddd
Is this during takeoff and landing, at random, other?
takeoff and landing. i think it ticks me off because the underlying assumption is that my phone or ipad was on and that i was listening to music.

which i was.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sukn
I recently had the opposite experience. My request for a Bloody Mary was met with the FA handing me an unopened can of the mix, two minis and a glass full of ice. Why did she have no interest in mixing it for me? Well in her own words, "I want you to make it just the way you like it".
Different strokes, I guess. I like it when FAs do that, and for exactly the reason your FA said.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by S314KY
takeoff and landing. i think it ticks me off because the underlying assumption is that my phone or ipad was on and that i was listening to music.

which i was.
You're upset because they were enforcing the rule against having electronic devices on during takeoff and landing??

I haven't seen the request to unplug, but it's not unusual to see FAs (on many airlines) tell people to take off their headphones during takeoff and landing.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by richarddd
You're upset because they were enforcing the rule against having electronic devices on during takeoff and landing??

I haven't seen the request to unplug, but it's not unusual to see FAs (on many airlines) tell people to take off their headphones during takeoff and landing.
It's a safety issue, since most airline accidents happen during take off or landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.