Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculous AA Platinum Desk Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:56 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by Mark_T
As far as I know, the waiver still only permits changes, not cancellations so the staff on the phone line were entirely correct to simply apply the normal rules for a cancellation of a non-refundable ticket.

If the flight had actually been cancelled by the time the OP got to the airport then it would of course been correct to offer the refund at that point.
IMHO this was the way the policy was enforced. In my case my outbound on Thursday was fine but my return from BDL on Saturday was within the policy. At 6am Thursday morning I called to cancel and was told the penalty would apply because my return had not cancelled yet but I could change my trip dates. After a small amount of arguing the agent agreed to make an exception for me. I told the woman that it would be nice if I could get home to make my next trip scheduled for Tuesday Am.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Until we hear back from the OP whether or not the denial was prior to the advisory then it is difficult to know whether it was bad service. However, the advice I would give for this type of situation would be first to check this page: http://aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/travelAlerts.jsp. If you are affected by a weather advisory, having the AA policy to hand to quote to an agent if necessary can help the process.

FWIW, the NE weather advisory appears to allow changes of flights with a one-time waiver of change fee (original inventory required), but it does not specifically say that cancellations for fee-free refunds are allowable.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Which [JohnAx: a phone number that puts the Platinum caller at the top of the general-res queue] is what AA calls the platinum desk. From http://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/d...ePlatinum3.jsp

AAdvantage Platinum members have a dedicated Service Desk to provide personal service ...snip...
So which is it? Priority access to a General Res agent, or a "dedicated Service Desk"? The two choices seem mutually exclusive.

Perhaps it's like the RTW Desk, which exists only during the day and evening?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JohnAx
So which is it? Priority access to a General Res agent, or a "dedicated Service Desk"? The two choices seem mutually exclusive.
We seem to have this debate a lot these days

It is definitely the former, but AA elect to call that a 'Desk'.

The only reason some of us point out the difference is to allow appropriate setting of expectations, i.e. the AAgent you speak to has no extra training or abilities over a general reservation AAgent so there should be no expectation of different treatment.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dickinson
Which is why post #3 asked the OP when he made the calls.
Which if you look at the times of posting , you could have seem was being written at the same time I wrote mine
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So, until OP follows up from his 3:53 AM post, this is a useless thread. The answer is that the fare rules are the fare rules in effect at the time he spoke with AA. Those are the tariff & rules + weather waiver if one was in effect. That answers OP's question.

As to the whole "desk" think that's marketing hype to make people feel as though there special, just like the shiny plastic card. They visualize some luxury location with well-dressed and empowered customer service people who report directly to the CEO.

In fact, your status bumps you to the head of the queue and theoretically gets you a more senior and better-trained agent, except in massive IRROPS.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Mark_T
We seem to have this debate a lot these days

It is definitely the former, but AA elect to call that a 'Desk'.
At some point in the past, AA routed PLT calls to the international agents even on domestic flight calls. I'm fairly sure that's no longer the case.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by wireless_999
I have a pregnant wife and needed to be back. I couldn't risk coming home Sunday or even Monday and no one will know until today. Too many unknowns so I needed to cancel.
So if you really need to be back, why not just pay the $150? Or you only need to be back if they waive it?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
Some of these responses are amusing. The POINT is that I had to go to the airport and they gave me a full refund. Obviously this was how AA handles it and wasn't an exception just because I went to the airport.

So my COMPLAINT is why couldn't the PLT desk do this over the phone and not in person?

Anyway AA today gave me a $75 e-voucher because they knew this wasn't handled correctly. Maybe some of the people responding should have read my statement more carefully.

The weather policy was in place when I called but no one on the phone mentioned snow emergency, this is what the agent said to me at the airport.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
At some point in the past, AA routed PLT calls to the international agents even on domestic flight calls. I'm fairly sure that's no longer the case.
Even "properly" routed international agent calls go to domestic agents if the workload is too high.

With the winter storm the past few days my Explorer award calls have ended up with domestic agents, many of which admitted they had never seen an itinerary that complex.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:04 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Some of these responses are amusing. The POINT is that I had to go to the airport and they gave me a full refund. Obviously this was how AA handles it and wasn't an exception just because I went to the airport.

So my COMPLAINT is why couldn't the PLT desk do this over the phone and not in person?

Anyway AA today gave me a $75 e-voucher because they knew this wasn't handled correctly. Maybe some of the people responding should have read my statement more carefully.

The weather policy was in place when I called but no one on the phone mentioned snow emergency, this is what the agent said to me at the airport.
Your flight was probably cancelled by the time you got to the airport--hence the refund.
One of the most important things which I've learned from my readings of FT, "if you don't like the response you've gotten from a phone agent, call back...the next agent may give you a more favorable response."
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
Thanks

Originally Posted by nrr
Your flight was probably cancelled by the time you got to the airport--hence the refund.
One of the most important things which I've learned from my readings of FT, "if you don't like the response you've gotten from a phone agent, call back...the next agent may give you a more favorable response."
Thanks for the response. I was hoping it would be but actually it did leave only 5 minutes late to my surprise.

The issue was my return and the agent said no one can know about Saturdays return so with the "snow emergency" she said I could get a full refund.

Yes I called 3 times but same answer, so I just drove to the airport.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:52 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the response. I was hoping it would be but actually it did leave only 5 minutes late to my surprise.

The issue was my return and the agent said no one can know about Saturdays return so with the "snow emergency" she said I could get a full refund.

Yes I called 3 times but same answer, so I just drove to the airport.
In the "general thread" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eb-8-10-a.html having to do with NE disruptions, in a few spots, I raised the same objections you did, AA's travel policy allows for outbound disruptions, but not for returns. The exp agent I spoke with did waive the $150 and credit me for a future flight. [I was schedule to fly JFK-LAS on 2/8/13 and depart LAS on 2/10/13 and return to JFK on 2/11/13 (I needed to be back in NY on that Monday)--in the past, these big snow events, tied airports up for days]
PS: On Friday, amidst lots of cancellations, AA's web site then, and NOW, is still showing "Yes" for "original inventory"...that, to me, is like rubbing salt on an open wound.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:14 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Not To Worry...

The Platinum desk at US Airways is excellent! You'll come to like them once the merger goes through (-:
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Just to clarify, does the OP feel their experience was just bad or ridiculous?
Neither. OP feels their experience was "ridicoulus".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.