Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Epic CS Failure @ LAX - AE pilot only employee who offered help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Epic CS Failure @ LAX - AE pilot only employee who offered help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
To be honest - seems like a roundabout routing to get from DCA to SLC in the first place. While my sympathy goes to the unfortunate pax, this just seems completely backwards. Why not route via DFW or ORD direct to SLC (surely LAX is not the only hub that connects to SLC?) - or better still - from two cities that have very little association with AA - why not go with DL?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by scnzzz
To be honest - seems like a roundabout routing to get from DCA to SLC in the first place. While my sympathy goes to the unfortunate pax, this just seems completely backwards. Why not route via DFW or ORD direct to SLC (surely LAX is not the only hub that connects to SLC?)
I think if you re-read the OP you'll see that they were originally routed DCA-ORD-SLC. Due to wx, ORD-SLC diverted to Grand Junction. The next day, and for inexplicable reasons, the flight continued to LAX, not SLC as originally planned.

Originally Posted by scnzzz
- or better still - from two cities that have very little association with AA - why not go with DL?
Again, re-reading the OP, it looks like they were traveling on gov't fares. AA probably has the city pair contract for DCA-SLC.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA 1 MM, SPG PLAT
Angry I was on the SLC side of this mess - baggage still missing!

I was on 3756 - the SLC to LAX leg on 2/2. Nice easy flight home after a ski week. Mrs. LAX&JFK and 2 kids waited in SLC from about 1 PM until they cxl'ed at around 730 PM. EXP desk rebooked 4 of us on 3791 but by then the fog was thicker than pea soup. So then they cxl'ed 3791 and rebooked us at 6 AM. Both flights were grounded in Grand Junction. 3756 had gone "illegal" because FA had worked too many hours. 3791 was weather delay.

Are they giving us comp to book a hotel or get food? Nope. Weather delay. But excuse me says I, when I talked to EXP desk about 6 hours ago, they said the delay was for equipment change at ORD. Oh no says GA, it's weather. I've got 2 kids, 6 and 8 and a wife who hates AA so we're off to Grand America for the night because after 7 hours in airport, I'm done. At least the hotel was great. 229 for a room. 25 each way for a cab and we're back the next morning.

6 AM got moved to 7:30 during the night so we got an extra hour of sleep. 730 got moved to 915, then 1015, then 1115, then 1215, then cxl'ed. BTW- AA CS desk staffed by 3 people, 1 of whom was handling priority access line while 2 did battle with the unruly crowd from 2 cxl'ed flights plus the normal morning flight. complete zoo.

I was so tired of AA craziness that I just walked (ran actually) to WN CS desk. 4 tix home on 9 AM direct at 177 per head and we're done. Not really. As of now, 2 bags are still in SLC and 3 are sitting in LA. After food at SLC and hotel plus 4 WN tix, minus the AA refunds, I'm out about 600 bucks. I actually don't even care but really need my bags 36 hours later!

All in all, here's my learning: never fly AA to SLC. only fly WN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.