Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Rebooking American Airlines flight with Choice Essential Cancellation Credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

I recently cancelled a flight booked on American Airlines web site where i had chosen the "Choice Essential" option allowing for changes with no change fee.

How does one go about using the credit from this cancelled flight for future travel? I do not see a spot to enter the confirmation code from the canceled flight in the payment section as I would see when doing the same thing on a Southwest Airlines flight.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:13 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As your question is specific to AA's booking choices and web booking engine, let's seek the help of the readers of the AA forum. I'll move this there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BeeeJay
I recently cancelled a flight booked on American Airlines web site where i had chosen the "Choice Essential" option allowing for changes with no change fee.

How does one go about using the credit from this cancelled flight for future travel? I do not see a spot to enter the confirmation code from the canceled flight in the payment section as I would see when doing the same thing on a Southwest Airlines flight.
Put your new desired itinerary on hold. Then look up the ticket number (not 6 character record locator, but the long ticket number) from your cancelled ticket, so hopefully you've saved that email. If you haven't, AA may be able to find that ticket number but I'm not sure. Then call AA and tell the agent you'd like to book a new ticket using remaining value from the cancelled ticket. The agent will ask for your old ticket number and the record locator for the new itinerary you have on hold - and you should be good to go. Unfortunately I'm not aware of a way to do this without calling, as I suppose you can on WN. Good news is they don't charge a phone booking fee when you do this. Alternatively you can just call AA and tell them you want to book a new reservation using your cancelled ticket and have the agent look up and book flights for you, but that takes a lot longer and gets aggravating.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
With choice essential, does the new ticket have to be in the same name as the original passenger?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.