Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help finding [economical] destination [for SWU use]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM, CO Gold, Delta Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, PC Gold, HZ Pres Cir
Help finding [economical] destination [for SWU use]

I have a specific problem every year at this time. I find I have 4 evips unused, so we always try to take a 5-6 day trip over a weekend to use them. The problem is, we never know where to go, as we can go anywhere.

So does anyone know an easy way to find a good value fare where the origination point is known (DFW), dates are known, carrier (american) is known, but the destination is limitless? Searching for every city I can think of to find a value fare is so difficult. They used to have a search where the end point could be "beach destinations" etc, but that seems to have disappeared.

So what I mean by value fare, is a coach class international ticket in the sub 1k range, but is enough miles to be worth using a VIP. So its kind of like finding a mileage run, but without all the hops, and we'd actually be staying somewhere.

TIA
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yup. I would search AA.com, or a similar site, for places you want to go and find one that meets your criteria. Of course, you'll want to look at ExpertFlyer to see if the upgrade inventory (C), is available for the SWUs.

Cheers.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by nsane1
Searching for every city I can think of to find a value fare is so difficult.
It shouldn't be. Use ITA Matrix, and put a comma-separated list of airport codes in the Destination box.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM, CO Gold, Delta Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, PC Gold, HZ Pres Cir
Originally Posted by _kurt
It shouldn't be. Use ITA Matrix, and put a comma-separated list of airport codes in the Destination box.
You da man! Exactly what I needed thanks!!!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum

So does anyone know an easy way to find a good value fare where the origination point is known (DFW), dates are known, carrier (american) is known, but the destination is limitless?
TIA
I think the easiest way is Google Travel : http://google.com/flights. Looks like they may have tweaked it a little in the last day or so, but you can still get around what they changed.

Put in the origin, and dates, and put anything in the destination. I used MIA.
For the airline, select Oneworld. You'll be able to change it to American later.
Then, two icons should appear below the destination. Click the one on the left, the map icon.

You can then move around anywhere on the map in the world, and zoom in and out to get more cities to show pricing for your dates.

[The map and graph icons used to show up even if you didn't put in a destination in]
Old Jan 31, 2013, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank you solosf. Was able to book Vienna for $1k. It took me about 15 minutes to find and book. Humorously, when I went around google flights to book on aa.com directly those same flights came up at $1300. SO you saved me hours, and $$ thanks!!! My whole team at work used this method to find cheap fun flights as well. THANKS!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by solosf
I think the easiest way is Google Travel : http://google.com/flights
As well as its companion https://google.com/flights/explorer, which is geared exactly for solving this type of "problem" (it's beta, so make sure to give them feedback).
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
this is awesome! I keep track of interesting fares to destinations I frequent, and this will be awesome in shorting the amount of time I spend searching for a good deal for vacations.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Thank you solosf. Was able to book Vienna for $1k. It took me about 15 minutes to find and book. Humorously, when I went around google flights to book on aa.com directly those same flights came up at $1300. SO you saved me hours, and $$ thanks!!! My whole team at work used this method to find cheap fun flights as well. THANKS!
How are you getting to Vienna on AA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.