Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequency of 50% bonus AA miles sales

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Frequency of 50% bonus AA miles sales

Hi everyone. I am new to AAdvantage, having used BA for a number of years as my oneworld carrier for miles accumulation. At the end of 2012 there was a 50% bonus sale on AAdvantage miles, which for me was worth picking up because of attractive conversation rates on US-Asia flights.

Currently, there is a 15,000 bonus offered on purchase of 40,000 miles, equaling 38% bonus. I am tempted to pick this up because it would give me enough for another US-Asia in F. However I wonder, are 50% (or better) bonus offers on AAdvantage miles purchases are offered frequently? I will probably use the miles in the summer to book end of the year travel, so I have some time.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
It's really hard to predict when sales will occur. They make the timing unpredictable so (1) people won't wait for a sale if they are intending to make a purchase in the near future and (2) people will jump on a sale, once announced, since they have no way of knowing when the next one will come along.

Just Marketing 101. Buy-or-die.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: Skymiles (silver)
AA ran a nearly identical promotion in January 2012 for the month. I bought up 40K + 15K bonus miles which helped with an award itinerary. Haven't seen it since until now. Otherwise I've just seen the 20% AAdvantage promotion a few times if you own an AA Citi card.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
The "big" sales have been at the end of the year for the last few years. They also always up the purchase limit from 40 to 60k at the end of the year.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Last year there was an excellent promotion which I took part in: Get 50% extra bonus miles and also get a 15% discount on the purchase value of the miles.

If I remember correctly I purchased the 40k miles for around $ 935 + Taxes.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
I highly suggest that people judge the quality of the promotions by calculating the effective cents per mile (CPM) after the bonuses have been factored in.

Right now the retail price of the miles is 3 cents. However, it is subject to change depending on what direction the winds are blowing. Note that my cynicism comes from being a member of Delta and seeing all the marketing tricks the SkyMiles team has pulled in the past few years.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I think I'll pass on this one then and see what happens toward the end of the year.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:16 am

...And it's back.

For A Limited Time Only: Earn Up To 30,000 Bonus Miles, A 50% Mileage Bonus
As we move towards the new American, and continue to modernize and innovate, we would like to share the excitement of our new look, with you - our valued customer. Now, through February 28, 2013, you can earn up to 30,000 bonus miles when you buy AAdvantage® miles.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by nall
...And it's back.

As we move towards the new American, and continue to modernize and innovate, we would like to share the excitement of our new look, with you - our valued customer. Now, through February 28, 2013, you can earn up to 30,000 bonus miles when you buy AAdvantage® miles.
Selling miles frequently in promtions is a sign that AA will merge with US soon
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by nall
...And it's back.

Where did you get that from?

Last edited by edy4eva; Feb 1, 2013 at 12:56 am Reason: Saw it on the purchase miles page.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Where did you get that from?
https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...AAMktPgUS40909
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
No interest in AA miles.

I would rather buy UA miles at 2.5 CPM if I have to buy some miles out right.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2013-a.html
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:26 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by FlyingtoFlyAway
Hi everyone. I am new to AAdvantage, having used BA for a number of years as my oneworld carrier for miles accumulation. At the end of 2012 there was a 50% bonus sale on AAdvantage miles, which for me was worth picking up because of attractive conversation rates on US-Asia flights.

Currently, there is a 15,000 bonus offered on purchase of 40,000 miles, equaling 38% bonus. I am tempted to pick this up because it would give me enough for another US-Asia in F. However I wonder, are 50% (or better) bonus offers on AAdvantage miles purchases are offered frequently? I will probably use the miles in the summer to book end of the year travel, so I have some time.
Historically the 50% Bonus has been on offer in late November/December, however if there is a merger with US anything could happen. IMHO If you need the miles for a ticket buy now.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:20 am

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
How long does it take the bonus miles to post? Is it 5 days like in the T&C?

This could be an issue when placing an award on hold..
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by shocky
How long does it take the bonus miles to post? Is it 5 days like in the T&C?

This could be an issue when placing an award on hold..
I bought some miles yesterday and the bonus posted about 24 hours later!

(Some previous bonuses have taken much longer.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.