Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Anthony Bourdain b@!#$ about American Airlines

I like Anthony Bourdain. But really?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...ws-travel.html
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bumpme

Is somebody going to respond to VX's twitter to point out that they don't exactly fly to GCM (or anywhere nearby)?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Seems like he was joking around and blowing off some steam; no big deal.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It's worth noting that his gripes were essentially about not keeping the passengers informed in a timely manner.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Why do we care what he says?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
Why do we care what he says?
You all realize he constantly complains about everything no matter what. That's the basis of his TV career.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
Maybe he had no reservations?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
The Virgin response was hilarious:

@VAAintheUSA: We feel your pain @Bourdain. The combo of a dropped deuce & AA service gives flying a bad name. Come w/ us next time!
Even funnier that they don't fly to GCM
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
... he does like the attention.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by swag
It's worth noting that his gripes were essentially about not keeping the passengers informed in a timely manner.
I've never seen an airline that actually does. It's beyond me why the GA can't just walk back and ask maintenance how long it will be, and then make an announcement "A seat is broken. It'll be 1-2 hours before we board, but we won't be cancelling the flight."
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:46 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by norf9
I've never seen an airline that actually does. It's beyond me why the GA can't just walk back and ask maintenance how long it will be, and then make an announcement "A seat is broken. It'll be 1-2 hours before we board, but we won't be cancelling the flight."
I'm very much in agreement with the general lack of information from GAs. This is probably my single biggest gripe with AA staff.

But what you suggest is not always as simple as it sounds. On one delay I was talking with a very good GA about this. she indicated that, quite often, the maintenance folks don't know how long something will take until they diagnose, or how long it will take to get the part. Now, one can argue (and possibly validly) about whether the maintenance folks should have a better idea, but they're not customer-facing, so they don't need to

So, sometimes the lack of information from the GA is simply because they can't get the good dope from elsewhere. Probably not the case most of the time, though...

Cheers.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by brp
I'm very much in agreement with the general lack of information from GAs. This is probably my single biggest gripe with AA staff.

But what you suggest is not always as simple as it sounds. On one delay I was talking with a very good GA about this. she indicated that, quite often, the maintenance folks don't know how long something will take until they diagnose, or how long it will take to get the part. Now, one can argue (and possibly validly) about whether the maintenance folks should have a better idea, but they're not customer-facing, so they don't need to

So, sometimes the lack of information from the GA is simply because they can't get the good dope from elsewhere. Probably not the case most of the time, though...

Cheers.
Generally my experience has been that GAs try to keep paxs advised even if to tell them that they have not been given any timeframe but will make an announcement as information is provided to the gate. However, my biggest gripe would be those relatively few times when I see maintenance going onboard, boarding time has come and gone yet no announcement. By then I usually go up to the podium and ask so I can get a jump on potential rerouting before other paxs do.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, they can always say that the seat is broken, they're waiting for a part and don't know how long it will take to get it and/or the maintenance staff is diagnosing the problem but they may not be able to tell us how long it will take to fix. Just tell us something! (That isn't a lie...)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, they can always say that the seat is broken, they're waiting for a part and don't know how long it will take to get it and/or the maintenance staff is diagnosing the problem but they may not be able to tell us how long it will take to fix. Just tell us something! (That isn't a lie...)
See, this is what I'm talking about. I fully understand that they can't know everything. But the worst possible thing a GA can say is "Maintenance is on the plane" and just leave it at that. They know exactly why the crew was called, so at least tell us that. If it's something like a possible engine issue and there's another flight leaving 1 hour later I can just hop on that and be perfectly fine. If it's a loose seat cushion I'll tough it out.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:31 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by norf9
See, this is what I'm talking about. I fully understand that they can't know everything. But the worst possible thing a GA can say is "Maintenance is on the plane" and just leave it at that. They know exactly why the crew was called, so at least tell us that. If it's something like a possible engine issue and there's another flight leaving 1 hour later I can just hop on that and be perfectly fine. If it's a loose seat cushion I'll tough it out.
Exactly. While they may not know the duration of the issues (for reasons cited above) they do know (or should know if they care to find out ) the what. Tell us the what so we have some indication of what's going. "Maintenance is dealing with an issue" is not enough.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.