Community
Wiki Posts
Search

business class seat width on 777

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:10 am
Original Poster

business class seat width on 777

I booked round trip to boston/london on AA in business class. The flight was on a BA 777.

I book business on AA because I like the seat width. Alas the business class seats are very narrow. Lots of leg room, but no shoulder or hip room ( I think the width is 20 inches). The layout is 8 across alternating front back orientation. You can see a picture here http://www.airreview.com/BA/Fleet.htm under BA club world business class

When I booked I expected AA business class, which, in past flights , is identical to AA first class.. wide seats

Anyone else find these new seats uncomfortable.. Any tips on how to avoid them on the Bos/Lon trip, other than to avoid BA?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
If you fly BA from North America on a 777 or 747 you will get the Club World seat in J. Personally I find the seat quite narrow too but it is excellent for sleeping on. If you can get upper deck seats on a 747 and go for a Window then you have a little more wriggle room.

The A318s from JFK to LCY have Club World London City seats which are different to the normal Club World Seats and I believe there may be a few 767s flying from select North American cities that have the old Club World product on them (still lie flat, but different design).
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by georgepds
Any tips on how to avoid them on the Bos/Lon trip, other than to avoid BA?
If you want AA seats, fly AA-operated aircraft. For U.S. origination or destination flights, DOT regs require sales channels to identify the operating carrier of every flight if it is different from the marketing carrier.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you want AA seats, fly AA-operated aircraft. For U.S. origination or destination flights, DOT regs require sales channels to identify the operating carrier of every flight if it is different from the marketing carrier.
That isn't going to be easy on BOS/LHR once the AA direct flight flight goes away.

Going to have to route through JFK I guess.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:13 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
You must be kidding . . .

What were you expecting? That AA asked BA to substitute one of their (BA) seats because you prefered their (AA) seats?

You must really be kidding . . .
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by NPF

What were you expecting? That AA asked BA to substitute one of their (BA) seats because you prefered their (AA) seats?

The same thought occurred to me. GMTA.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by NPF

Huh? OP asked how to avoid narrow business class seats in the future. That seems like a totally reasonable question; no outrage required.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
no outrage required.
How DARE you say that on FT?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
wait, so AA seats are only found on AA planes ? Why are we just now finding this out ? I assumed my seat in F next week on a CRJ-700 was going to be AA's Flagship Suite...No ? I will need to speak to a manager about this...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Welcome to codeshares.

Sometimes the result is better, sometimes worse. Frequently, it's a matter of personal opinion.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked round trip to boston/london on AA in business class. The flight was on a BA 777. I book business on AA because I like the seat width.
Just to be clear, as others have pointed out, you didn't actually "book business on AA." You booked an AA codshare flight operated by BA. So it had an AA flight number but a BA aircraft. By regulation, this had to be clear when you made the reservation, and it probably was. Unless you used, say, a corporate travel agent over the phone, and the agent neglected to tell you. Then you'd have to take it up with the agent.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:20 pm

I booked round trip to boston/london on AA in business class. The flight was on a BA 777.
I assume you mean you booked a codeshare flight, operated by BA. As has been said, this was likely made clear when the flight was booked.

When I booked I expected AA business class, which, in past flights , is identical to AA first class.. wide seats
Are you saying AA business is 'identical' to AA first? I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

Anyone else find these new seats uncomfortable.. Any tips on how to avoid them on the Bos/Lon trip, other than to avoid BA?
Of course opinions vary, but most people here prefer the BA seats to what AA currently has. My advice on how to avoid the BA seats would be to not fly BA.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=will2288;20019890...Are you saying AA business is 'identical' to AA first? I'm not sure what you are trying to say here...[/QUOTE]

In the past, that's been my experience on AA planes on the boston/london route

--G
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

In the past, that's been my experience on AA planes on the boston/london route

--G
By this I mean both seats and service were the same in business and first class

--G
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:24 pm

By this I mean both seats and service were the same in business and first class
Are you comparing first class on a 757 with business on a 777? First and business on a 777 have very different seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.