Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Clarification: no more Priority Access for non-elite Credit Card Holders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT

My wife is a non-elite with the Citibank Aadvantage card. AMR just sent an email, advising that such customers have been getting Priority Access by mistake, system will be corrected, revert to Group 1 after the first of the year. As a LT Gold, it is nice to see AMR maintaining SOME differentiation from credit card holders.

Dear xxxx,

As a valued Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmember, we want you to have the best travel experience possible. We would like to call your attention to a recent clarification in how we display one of the features of your card.

Priority Boarding with Group 1 Privileges1 is one of the valued travel benefits of your card which enables you to board the plane at the beginning of the general boarding process. Since the launch of the new
Citi® / AAdvantage® card, the American Airlines boarding pass has incorrectly displayed this benefit as PriorityAAccessSM*,which includes access to dedicated check-in and security lanes, in addition to priority boarding.

Going forward, for tickets booked or changed after November 14, 2012, the cardmember boarding passes will display Group 1 to designate this priority boarding benefit. We also hope you are able to continue to enjoy the other benefits of your Citi® / AAdvantage® card.

Thank you for flying with us, and we hope to see you soon

Last edited by diver858; Dec 21, 2012 at 7:48 pm
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:47 pm

Just got the same email.

No status for me. Just got the card. I guess it's back in line with the rabble!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:18 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I'm glad they are finally fixing this bug; boarding has been getting out of control, particularly on flights when instead of separately calling Plats, they just call PriorityAAccess. Sometimes it seems like the majority of passengers then try to board.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
My wife is a non-elite with the Citibank Aadvantage card. AMR just sent an email, advising that such customers have been getting Priority Access by mistake, system will be corrected, revert to Group 1 after the first of the year. As a LT Gold, it is nice to see AMR maintaining SOME differentiation from credit card holders.

Dear xxxx,

As a valued Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmember, we want you to have the best travel experience possible. We would like to call your attention to a recent clarification in how we display one of the features of your card.

Priority Boarding with Group 1 Privileges1 is one of the valued travel benefits of your card which enables you to board the plane at the beginning of the general boarding process. Since the launch of the new
Citi® / AAdvantage® card, the American Airlines boarding pass has incorrectly displayed this benefit as PriorityAAccessSM*,which includes access to dedicated check-in and security lanes, in addition to priority boarding.

Going forward, for tickets booked or changed after November 14, 2012, the cardmember boarding passes will display Group 1 to designate this priority boarding benefit. We also hope you are able to continue to enjoy the other benefits of your Citi® / AAdvantage® card.

Thank you for flying with us, and we hope to see you soon
I think that only applies to all the card holders except World Elite MasterCard that will still have the Priority Access and a couple of other perks, right?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
Any other Citi/AAdvantage cardholders get this email?

Dear Clay_C.

Priority Boarding with Group 1 Privileges is one of the valued travel benefits of your card which enables you to board the plane at the beginning of the general boarding process. Since the launch of the new
Citi® / AAdvantage® card, the American Airlines boarding pass has incorrectly displayed this benefit as PriorityAAccess,which includes access to dedicated check-in and security lanes, in addition to priority boarding.

Thank you for flying with us, and we hope to see you soon!
At the end of the day, this is no big deal for me. A lot of my AA travel is through MCI where the dedicated security lane business is not applicable (and there is only ever one check-in lane for that matter) AND I am often on regional jets which always seem to board PriorityAAccess and Group 1 together anyway! I did find the "incorrectly displayed" wording as a bit odd though...more like they gave me something I wasn't meant to have and now they are taking it back.

I should add that even being downgraded to Group 1, I am throughly satisfied that I am more than getting my money's worth for the higher annual fee on this card with the free checked bag and bonus miles on purchased tickets.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ah, yes, they are extending "enhancements" to credit cards now. Of course, if Priority Access is a defined benefit, some of us could call it "bait and switch"; if it is not, they had some programming errors they are now taking care of.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Ah, yes, they are extending "enhancements" to credit cards now. Of course, if Priority Access is a defined benefit, some of us could call it "bait and switch"; if it is not, they had some programming errors they are now taking care of.
I just reviewed the printed literature I still have sitting around here from when they changed the card benefits and raised the annual fee back in early April (yeah, I should probably tidy up). Here they call the benefit "Priority Boarding". One one hard, they did not promise PriorityAAccess. On the other hand, "Priority Boarding" certainly sounds more like PriorityAAccess to me than Group 1. Oh well, I guess I should have savored the one time it did get me through security at ORD a minute or two faster.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:46 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Thread merged with existing discussion on the same topic/email. Thanks! /Moderator
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
Thread merged with existing discussion on the same topic/email. Thanks! /Moderator
I tried to find someone else discussing this topic, obviously just didn't look hard enough! I greatly appreciate the diligent way this forum is moderated.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
This is great news. Clearly, AA is moving in a direction that actually values their elites and high-revenue customers...quite the opposite from UA.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
This is great news. Clearly, AA is moving in a direction that actually values their elites and high-revenue customers...quite the opposite from UA.
- I agree that this is much needed differentiation. About 2 months ago I was clearing security line in Toronto. There was a line dedicated to F and something like "Priority Access" that had fewer people. While I was heading there I was stopped by a Canadian Security officer who said that "Priory AAccess" should go to the common line "because everyone traveling on American Airlines has Priority Access". I have argued successfully that I am traveling in F and, therefore, could use priority line. The Canadian lady actually took my boarding pass to show other less fortunate AA customers she directed to the general line. That was simply to prove her point...
Anyway, there is little value in Priority AAccess if half of the plane has AA Citibank credit cards in their pockets.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
I always wondered about this "benefit", as I have (non-status) coworkers with the AA card that were getting Priority AAccess.

However, wouldn't any non GLD/PLT/EXP still gain Priority AAccess via TSA Pre-Check if they were Global Entry qualified?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jlin011
However, wouldn't any non GLD/PLT/EXP still gain Priority AAccess via TSA Pre-Check if they were Global Entry qualified?
Nope, you don't actually get Priority AAccess, however in airports using security lines where precheck is merged with the elite line (such as DFW) you are allowed to go into the elite line if you have precheck but don't have priority aaccess.

I'm glad they are finally doing something to help out the GLD members. At this point half the plane seems to board with priority aaccess, and I don't think I've ever heard the agent call GLD boarding separately.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by norf9
I don't think I've ever heard the agent call GLD boarding separately.
I have seen this happen once that I can remember.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by norf9
Nope, you don't actually get Priority AAccess, however in airports using security lines where precheck is merged with the elite line (such as DFW) you are allowed to go into the elite line if you have precheck but don't have priority aaccess.

I'm glad they are finally doing something to help out the GLD members. At this point half the plane seems to board with priority aaccess, and I don't think I've ever heard the agent call GLD boarding separately.
I don't think they are supposed to - per http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/boarding.jsp, there is OW Ruby listed with Priority Access. GLD is not listed separately.

Glad that they are fixing this. Before I became EXP, I was on several flights where they called Priority Access after FC/EXP, causing a stampede. This should be good for both PLT and GLD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.