Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another flight, another full First class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Another flight, another full First class

Just venting. This is the ~10th flight in a row now where I have not been able to get an upgrade. Oversold flight. 1 spot in 1st available, 2exps waiting for it, 4 plats ahead of me, 10+ plat/gold behind me.

Absurd.

Is anyone matching AA status to switch? I would love to go to Delta or pretty much anyone at this point. AA really sucks now. I think we are ripe to be snatched up.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
What route was this?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by gnode
I would love to go to Delta or pretty much anyone at this point. AA really sucks now.
So go; no one forces you to fly AA!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Its also a function of flights being cut, which is occuring at most airlines. I fly DL occassionally out of NYC and the board is rolling away with upgrade requests no different than AA. Its a sign of the times.

I fly usually non prime times (Saturday night, T/W and Sunday AMs) and its a rare for me to have an empty seat next to me.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:37 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just venting. This is the ~10th flight in a row now where I have not been able to get an upgrade. Oversold flight. 1 spot in 1st available, 2exps waiting for it, 4 plats ahead of me, 10+ plat/gold behind me.

Absurd.

Is anyone matching AA status to switch? I would love to go to Delta or pretty much anyone at this point. AA really sucks now. I think we are ripe to be snatched up.
http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/statusmatch
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:38 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Also, a lot more people are paying for F now that AA has started selling instant upgrade fares for not that much more than the coach fare + the cost of the 500 mi upgrade certs. I believe DL has been doing this for some time now... I believe the posters over on the DL board refer to it as "FCM" (first class monetization)?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver

Absurd.

Where/when are you flying? Generally speaking, EXP upgrades clear. There are routes and times where they are difficult. While it is incrementally more difficult now, that has always been the case.

The idea though that it is better - on average - at DL or UA is simply wrong though.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
OK, so I know that "it depends on many factors" but I am going to say that in three years as an EXP I probably had 2-3 flights that I didn't get upgraded on per year. I just re-qualified as EXP and I have had a total of 4 mainline flights since I got my lovely status back after 10 months in the back of the bus, and only one of them cleared (MIA-ORD), the rest (PHX-MIA, MIA-PTY, PTY-MIA) did not clear - these bookings were done 1+ month in advance.
Let's hope for better luck on my last 8 flights this year
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
I'm 100% for the past two years. Of course, I don't fly elite heavy routes. Still, I'm happy with my odds.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sts603
Where/when are you flying? Generally speaking, EXP upgrades clear. There are routes and times where they are difficult. While it is incrementally more difficult now, that has always been the case.

The idea though that it is better - on average - at DL or UA is simply wrong though.
sts, I generally agree with you but my actual recent experience shows otherwise and the trend is getting worse.

Out of last 10 flights on both AA (as EXP), and DL (as Plat):
AA: 6 of 10 upgrades cleared
Notables missed: STL/ORD ????
DL: 8 of 10 upgrades cleared (would have been 9/10 if agent followed official DL policy - neither here nor there)

Just last night was #1 on the list 1 avail at check in (according to agent). Arrived at gate, #2 on list, 0 available.

OP, I hear and share your frustration. The two things I value, reliability and upgrades are both way down this year.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

This is sea to dfw.

Called delta and they will match me for 3 months while i earn there.

After done with my current booked flights, I am jumping ship. Called the platinum desk to let them know and they did not care at all. Pathetic customer service. Didnt even ask why.

Cant do virgin. I need more coverage. I fly to tons of random places domestic us.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

I can't get exp. I travel domestic about every other week usually, though more lately (wife not happy). One international vacation per year.

Regular platinum is basically meaningless now. It just lets you board first.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
. Called the platinum desk to let them know and they did not care at all. Pathetic customer service. Didnt even ask why.
Really? What do you expect a reservation agent to say? You flew on flights where they sold F or they gave it to people higher on the upgrade list. This is not a customer service issue. The system works exactly as it should. Have upgrades gotten harder on every carrier over the last several years due to consolidation and capacity cutting? Yes. But its not an AA customer service issue.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
This is sea to dfw.

Called delta and they will match me for 3 months while i earn there.

After done with my current booked flights, I am jumping ship. Called the platinum desk to let them know and they did not care at all. Pathetic customer service. Didnt even ask why.

Cant do virgin. I need more coverage. I fly to tons of random places domestic us.
Good for you. But honestly, did you expect a reservation agent would care or be in a position to do anything for you?

One thing that helps on DL is more domestic widebody flights, 757 with 24-26 FC seats on the routes I need to fly. That might help you too. Good luck.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by moman
sts, I generally agree with you but my actual recent experience shows otherwise and the trend is getting worse.

Out of last 10 flights on both AA (as EXP), and DL (as Plat):
AA: 6 of 10 upgrades cleared
Notables missed: STL/ORD ????
DL: 8 of 10 upgrades cleared (would have been 9/10 if agent followed official DL policy - neither here nor there)
Hardly a scientific sample but I don't deny that some people may based on their travel patterns be better off on another carrier. STL-ORD isn't surprising. De-hubbed cities to hubs are notoriously difficult on many carriers because there is still a large loyal elite base but spread over fewer flights to fewer cities. Try PIT-CLT for example on US. Same with LAS-PHX. Or try SJC-DFW on AA or even RDU-DFW.

And I will point out that you noted missing a DL upgrade to the agent - something that happens FAR less on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.