Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2012, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class travellers link
(By class of service eligibility): First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.
(By tier eligibility: Emerald... members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
Print Wikipost

When did Flagship start turning away OW Emerald with family?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:18 am
Original Poster

When did Flagship start turning away OW Emerald with family?

All - I was surprisd to have my family turned away at the JFK Flagship Lounge last week, given the OneWorld Emerald one guest policy (in my case, BA Gold, flying AA transcon with family in J). I'll admit I was completely ignorant that it is ONE GUEST as opposed to "guest or immediate family". Has this always been the case, and they are just enforcing the rule more rigorously? Or was this a semi-recent change? I know I've been in the FL countless times with my wife and kids, on similar itineraries.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:34 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The rule has always been one guest. If you were able to bring more in the past then consider yourself lucky.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: ConciergeKey 4MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I had a similar experience at ORD recently. We've been routing through there for years, flying in J, en route from DFW to DUB, and never had a problem getting the entire family (2 adults, 2 young kids) into the FL. Not this time. Based on past experience, I had no idea the rule was 1 guest only. I got quite upset, left, verified the rule on my iphone and then hightailed it over to the AC. With the kids room at the AC, it ended up being a more pleasant and relaxing experience as we endured a 4 hour delay.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:02 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
It's possible that they are enforcing the policy more as of late, but yes, the rules have always been only one guest, if using the AA lounges based on OW status (and not being entitled to access based on your ticketed cabin)

The OW Emerald benefit is:
Access to more than 550 airport lounges (with one guest), including premium First Class, Business Class and frequent flyer lounges, regardless of the class of service flown that day
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OWdevotee
I had a similar experience at ORD recently. We've been routing through there for years, flying in J, en route from DFW to DUB, and never had a problem getting the entire family (2 adults, 2 young kids) into the FL. Not this time. Based on past experience, I had no idea the rule was 1 guest only. I got quite upset, left, verified the rule on my iphone and then hightailed it over to the AC. With the kids room at the AC, it ended up being a more pleasant and relaxing experience as we endured a 4 hour delay.
It sounds like enforcement may simply be more diligent than in the past. We were ok splitting up, I was hungry and so was one kid, so we grabbed some breakfast while wife and other kid went to AC. I'll see how it goes with family in LAX in a few days.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Flagship Lounge access for OW Emeralds has always included ONE (1) guest who also must be traveling on a OW-marketed, OW-operated flight on the same day.

It sounds like you have been granted exceptions in the past to allow your children access, but now they are enforcing the rules, so you are limited to ONE (1) guest. You could always leave your wife with one child in the AC, and take the other child to the FL. Swap kids on the return trip, so both get to experience the FL.

Admirals Club paid membership allows access for up to TWO (2) guests OR immediate family (including childcare/healthcare providers). Same deal goes for AAirpass customers, CitiExecutive cardholders, QP members, AMEX Plat cardholders, and some others who are considered "paid" access (not COS or status).

Transcon premium class access does not provide for any guests in either lounge type.

Full details are HERE.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
It sounds like enforcement may simply be more diligent than in the past. We were ok splitting up, I was hungry and so was one kid, so we grabbed some breakfast while wife and other kid went to AC. I'll see how it goes with family in LAX in a few days.
Trying not to be negative, but IMHO, LAX and LHR are the most strict.

It's almost as if they are are in competition (with cash bonuses) on which club can turn away as many PAX, AND getting bonus points for making you feel like dog doo in the process.

OCT2nd, 2012 LHR AC

English Admirals <Agent>: (Seeing that I have 2 traveling companions) Welcome, Dallas49er, the Flagship Lounge is just over here on the right.

Me: I'm traveling with my 2 friends.

<Agent>: Oh dear. You are only allowed one guest.

Me: I know, however both are PLAT. Plus the gentleman on the right not only is a member of the AC, too, but this leg back to DFW will make him EXP. Perhaps an exception might be made as kind of a welcome to EXP?

<Agent>: Oh dear, I'm so sorry. Our problem is that he is not EXP right now. If he is not the one you chose to take in, I'm sure he will enjoy it the next time he comes through.

Me: I would think with all that is going with the pilot "shenanigans", you might be turning it up a notch on customer service.

<Agent>: I understand how you might think that, sir. But you surely must recognize that at the end of the day, that it is really a pilot issue, not an Admiral's Club concern.

Me: Oh I do understand. After all, this is England. Thank you for your help.

<Agent>: Anytime, sir.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 26, 2012 at 10:38 am
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Dallas49er

It's almost as if they are are in competition (with cash bonuses) on which club can turn away as many PAX, AND getting bonus points for making you feel like dog doo in the process.
Although it has been a while since i was in LAX on a domestic route 5-6 years ago i was there at least monthly, and some of the most fun I have had in an airport terminal while traveling for business was getting my (deserved) ving card for the FL on the ground level (by way of BA Gold) and then letting the dragoon at the FL bust my horns for a couple of minutes in terms not being entitiled to access on a JFK ticket (genius- don't you think your colleague who gave me the ving card downstairs asked the same question?) while i acted dumb. Then as i was about to get the heave i would "find" my BA card, and then measure the level of crestfallenness .
Old Nov 24, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
My experience as well.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 2:10 pm

If the interaction you then described made you feel like dog doo...you are much too sensitive. Looks like the lady did her job pleasantly.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 26, 2012 at 10:40 am Reason: Added proper quotation
Old Nov 24, 2012, 2:24 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Recently while on a LAX-SFO-HKG itinerary, they incorrectly tried to deny me access to the FL because my international flight departs from a different airport. After I returned from HKG to LAX, they again incorrectly tried to deny me access because my onward flight was the next day (at 12:15 am).

On both occasions I politely explained that I never try to access the FL when I am _not_ eligible yet I _always_ access the FL when I _am_ eligible, including this instance. The gatekeeper graciously agreed.

On other occasions I've been told that I can't access a BA First lounge because I'm ticketed on AA, etc. In all these cases, it's nothing personal ... it's just that the gatekeeper happens to be wrong.

It's probably a great idea to cut the employees a little slack. Nowadays it basically sucks to be an airline employee. The rules can be so complex and arcane that I often believe the frequent flyers know the rules better than the airline's own employees.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by xooz
If the interaction you then described made you feel like dog doo...you are much too sensitive. Looks like the lady did her job pleasantly.
Perhaps you may be correct. Most of the time, once again with the exception of LHR-they are all AAngels.

But I have lived for 23 years with a woman who went to one of the best "public" schools on the island and then on to St. Andrews (the university celebrating 600 year anniversary this year). She can sound like Margaret Thatcher dispatching the troops to the Falklands. I have also been to the UK many, many times over those 23 years.

(sarcasm on) So please give me the benefit of the doubt. <redacted> It's all in the accent, delivery, and inflection. I have plenty of practice. (sarcasm off)

So in print-pleasant. In person-dog doo.

On Topic-LHR and LAX-DEFENDERS OF THE REALM! (at all cost)

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 26, 2012 at 10:42 am
Old Nov 24, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by OWdevotee
FL at ORD is a dump, anyway. Tinier than my living room and nasty chairs.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 4:18 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxconnorw
FL at ORD is a dump, anyway. Tinier than my living room and nasty chairs.
Still better than the AC or (eghad) the terminal.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 4:57 pm

1. Along with SqareDanceGuy, I Know and respect the rules: With the pilot "shenanigans", (a 2 1/2 "delay" coming over, and a 2 hour delay already posted 3 hours before flight time), and with a soon to be EXP, I thought there might be an exception made. Please notice I walked away, rather than push.

2. <redacted> I feel that just about everybody that works in the AC world wide (once again with the almost total exception of LHR) does a great to beyond superior job each and every day.

In my case here, there was NO (zero, nada, null, pick a synonym ...) respect shown to me, or my companions, from start to finish, perhaps even the opposite. My traveling companions will be more than happy submit sworn affidavits, as they both commented on her <attitude>. <redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 26, 2012 at 10:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.