Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should AA provide nutrition information for onboard meals?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Should AA provide nutrition information for onboard meals?

Given the trend over the past few years (decades) towards healthy eating, personal responsibility and decision making I think AA should provide passengers information on the nutrition content and ingredients on what they are being served. While admittedly AA is slow to adapt to the trends, they are finally beginning online advance meal selection and it wouldn't be difficult to include this information there. Additionally, this wouldn't be difficult to add to the onboard menus or provide on catering papers to FAs on flights w/o menus who can relay the information to interested passengers.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? NH onboard menus have caloric content posted for all items so it can be done.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I'd like it.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
While this would be nice, I think most people who are that interested could come pretty close to estimating it. If you pay close attention to what you eat, you get pretty good at figuring this stuff out. As an example, I would put a hot fudge sundae with whipped cream and nuts around 800 calories, with 13 grams of protein, 51 grams of carbohydrates, and 62 grams of fat. I could be off by a bit, but serving sizes will also be off by a bit. You knew it was in that neighborhood, right?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I think it is a good idea and one thing that I saw on another airline was the listing of alcohol content on the wine list. I liked that a lot as I prefer to a 12% wine when I am in the air instead of a 14%. I doubt it would make much difference in my meal choice though as I usually select a salmon or chicken to stay on the lower fat and calorie side of things anyways. At this point I know what has what and avoid things that I dont like. I do think nutritional info should be available wherever we have prepared meals including restaurants.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I don't have any interest in knowing. I never pay attention to the labels on anything I eat (and I'm in good health!). But that's me, I'm sure some folks would.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:55 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I don't have any interest in knowing. I never pay attention to the labels on anything I eat (and I'm in good health!). But that's me, I'm sure some folks would.
People who generally eat right don't need to know. For the rest of us, it can be helpful

Although, as gemac says, it shouldn't be hard to estimate in most cases.

Cheers.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Given the trend over the past few years (decades) towards healthy eating, personal responsibility and decision making I think AA should provide passengers information on the nutrition content and ingredients on what they are being served. While admittedly AA is slow to adapt to the trends, they are finally beginning online advance meal selection and it wouldn't be difficult to include this information there. Additionally, this wouldn't be difficult to add to the onboard menus or provide on catering papers to FAs on flights w/o menus who can relay the information to interested passengers.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? NH onboard menus have caloric content posted for all items so it can be done.
Good idea for who?

In my case, I don't really need it.

And I guess we are talking about flights where there are menus? (international J, F and some transcon?). Sure, print it in those menus. But I would not really care.

For domestic F (no menus)...should the FAs have that info on request? Would anyone ask?
FA: Chicken quesadilla? or Salmon Salad?
PAX: Which one has more calories?
Kind of weird.

The sandwiches for sale on domestic Y have already nutritional labels, IIRC.

For international Y, there are no menus either (on AA). Would you ask for the nutritional info?

Again, good idea for who?

Last edited by carlosdca; Nov 10, 2012 at 10:38 pm
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Would this deter anyone from eating if they are hungery? I highly doubt it... Anyone with a reasonable education would know that the meals served on board are not the most healthest ones. Just more information and added cost. What is interesting is, European as well as Asian airlines are usually first in this area, they do not offer this.

Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'd like it....but then again I'd like them to put some nutrition into the food first
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
.....provide on catering papers to FAs on flights w/o menus who can relay the information to interested passengers.
My experience is that F/A's frequently have no idea what the meals contain, especially beyond the entree "cold seafood salad or chicken something..." and now you want them to explain/read the nutritional info?

Put it on the website, let pax look it up and print it, and then take it with them on the flight if they are that concerned.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:31 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Nutritional Medicine has been part of my lifetime career for more years, then many people's age on the planes. Most people have little understanding of their needs from a calorie basis let along grams, or interest in reading that infomation etc. There are many small guide books with that information for anyone interested can carry with them, if they are truly interested.
If they did, they would not eat so many JUNK foods on or off the Planes.
There is little chance of over eating while flying in contrast to drinking.

Adding that information would only increase the cost of the tickets.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I dont know if I agree with the cost element. I would bet the catering company has the info already. Again, it doesnt really bother me that the info is not provided but dont think it should really cost that much more to provide it.

I have pretty good nutritional awareness but every now and again there is a side or sauce that surprises me on calorie/fat/cholesterol content. That is why I like to have the info. It is one flight unless you fly a lot then it can be a regular meal you are eating.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:37 am
Suspended

Please don't.

There is already enough rubbish information I am forced to put into my eye sight. I am not saying nutrient info is rubbish. But I would rather prefer not to see it at all. For those who want to see it, I am happy for AA to have the information available on request, but not everywhere you can see it. As I really found it annoying as a person who absolutely do not care what I eat and where it was produced as long as the provider guarantee its safety and worthiness.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:38 am

It might provide an incentive on the airline to reduce salt, sugar, saturated fat.

Many airlines already have a designated light/healthy option in business class and some post calories.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+1

Information is power.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.