Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Front Page Troubles & AA Possible Responses to Elites? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Front Page Troubles & AA Possible Responses to Elites? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold

Obviously every airline has its troubles, many of which are written about at length in the national press. That said, AA has been getting an incredible amount of negative publicity, more than I have seen any airline receive in quite a long time. Between the bankruptcy concerns, the pilot "strike", and the usual complaints of bad service/surly attitude (as with other US carriers), AA seems to be constantly hammered by the media and poorly reviewed by its own customers.

In light of these facts, do folks think that it is likely that AA will make a large effort to retain the business of elite travelers (besides the steps outlined in the email that Ms. Rubin sent out)? I'd rather not rehash the whole "are EXPs actually valuable" debate or the "elites are entitled" discussion. I'd rather discuss speculation over what course AA will take to retain its valuable customers.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:49 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I think they will give each and every EXP a pony. So, we will be getting two ponies.

Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I hate to say it, but another round of DEQM

Another round of DEQM along with maybe some sort of EQP bonus or something similar. Yes, they have had a lot of negative press lately, what can they do to entice us to stay? DEQM seems to have worked in the past, and will also help with the all the newly minted EX UA now AA EXP flyers to reassure then of their business.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:46 pm

They should make everyone who isn't currently an EXP an EXP. This will hurt upgrades, though, so all aircraft should be converted to 100% F without raising ticket prices.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Unlimited booze and snacks for all elites. I'd eat and drink right from the cart.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
OP, have you seen the negative publicity UA has been getting? It's far worse than the issues AA has had aired in the media.

This is all the result of the unions pushing back on management. Planes are not falling out of the sky and flames are not shooting out of the roof of the concourse. This too shall pass.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
OP, have you seen the negative publicity UA has been getting? It's far worse than the issues AA has had aired in the media.

This is all the result of the unions pushing back on management. Planes are not falling out of the sky and flames are not shooting out of the roof of the concourse. This too shall pass.
UA seemed to be in the negative news cycle in March and April when they were having delays and long lines with the UA switchover to SHARES.

AA is taking its lumps now.

I would agree however that UA seems to have more long-term 'customer negatives' in regards to its frequent flier program while AA seems to be doing everything possible to retain EXPs attractiveness.

In terms of inflight service - UA is ahead of AA when it comes to hard product on Intl J - in terms of food - AA is ahead of UA in domestic F.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by arollins
Another round of DEQM along with maybe some sort of EQP bonus or something similar. Yes, they have had a lot of negative press lately, what can they do to entice us to stay? DEQM seems to have worked in the past, and will also help with the all the newly minted EX UA now AA EXP flyers to reassure then of their business.
Why stop with a linear scale? Exponential EQM! First flight is 1 mile, and doubles every flight. I'll only need 17 flights to make EXP!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
This AFP headline that yahoo UK/Ireland just posted should stir things up some more:

Disaster flights sink American Airlines' reputation

I didn't know we had reached "disaster" territory yet.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Once the 77Ws start arriving with their new business seats and bar area, there will be plenty of good publicity.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:42 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
the 'loose seats' incidents have received wide press coverage in mainstream media and were even on national TV here. That is something the average citizen sees and reacts to, and it's definitely not favorable to AA.
That said, I indeed do have the impression that they're trying hard to retain us status passengers' business. Even lowly ones like me who fly less than 100k miles a year with them. Had a CSR bend the rules more than just slightly to accommodate me best recently.
To all who speak German: This article in Swiss "20minuten" titled 'Why have US airlines become so shabby' summarizes things pretty well. Read the comments - it's really interesting how travellers who almost exclusively fly Y perceive things differently from most of the folks on FT....
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by bhomburg
the 'loose seats' incidents have received wide press coverage in mainstream media and were even on national TV here. That is something the average citizen sees and reacts to, and it's definitely not favorable to AA.
That said, I indeed do have the impression that they're trying hard to retain us status passengers' business. Even lowly ones like me who fly less than 100k miles a year with them. Had a CSR bend the rules more than just slightly to accommodate me best recently.
To all who speak German: This article in Swiss "20minuten" titled 'Why have US airlines become so shabby' summarizes things pretty well. Read the comments - it's really interesting how travellers who almost exclusively fly Y perceive things differently from most of the folks on FT....
It is been all over the news here in Europe too.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by All American Flyer

In light of these facts, do folks think that it is likely that AA will make a large effort to retain the business of elite travelers (besides the steps outlined in the email that Ms. Rubin sent out)? I'd rather not rehash the whole "are EXPs actually valuable" debate or the "elites are entitled" discussion. I'd rather discuss speculation over what course AA will take to retain its valuable customers.
I hadn't heard that AA's valuable customers were planning/conducting a mass exodus. Maybe I missed that.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911

I didn't know we had reached "disaster" territory yet.
"we"?

s/b "they".
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
"I think they will give each and every EXP a pony. So, we will be getting two ponies."

Post of the year. LMAO!!

Considering AA has cut many of its GSA city pair contracts for 2013, AA thinks it will be filling planes and/or cutting capacity, so I don't expect AA to provide elites anything to retain their business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.