Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Upgrade story-- did I get it totally free?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Flyer_70
If it doesn't get deducted soon, or even by the expiry date, call AA and make sure it happens. Now I've never actually had to do that - but one would hope they have the ability to make the account current.
Why would one do this? The worst-case scenario is that the SWU is deducted at some point in the future; the best case is that it's never deducted and the upgrade is ultimately free. The OP's optimal strategy is to not say anything to AA.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Why would one do this? The worst-case scenario is that the SWU is deducted at some point in the future; the best case is that it's never deducted and the upgrade is ultimately free. The OP's optimal strategy is to not say anything to AA.
We're going to have to disagree on this. After dealing with another type of SWU mess, I tend to like my stuff in order.

Last edited by Flyer_70; Sep 25, 2012 at 11:17 pm
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Because they may not get around to deducting it until next year. If the OP is going to have plenty of SWUs this year, and ends up burning his last one on a domestic flight, he could be disgruntled if they deduct a SWU in April of next year, a SWU that doesn't expire until Feb. 28, 2014.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by GEO22Olsen
So, I had booked a coach ticket for a friend, an older woman, on a flight from LHR in fare class O. I told her that I had her on the upgrade list using one of my eVIP's, and she seemed to understand. When she got to the airport, she text me saying "they won't do it", and I guess she badgered them and then I got a text saying "The agent says don't do anything, he fixed it." Well, since I had booked the ticket, I went into my account, looked at her reservation, and I saw she did indeed have a Business seat, but now in J fare class. I thought that was very, very unusual. No eVIP upgrades were deducted from my account, and I wasn't even charged the taxes for the upgrade that I would have had to pay if the eVIP went through. Do you suppose somehow I won't have to give up my eVIP after all? I mean, it should have been in C fare class if she had been upgraded. How did she accomplish this? Has anyone seen anything like this before? Thanks!
- Since your friend was trying to clear eVIP at LHR, she would be the subject to additional collection of the British air passenger duty (APD) which is not very cheap after recent increases. In my personal experience, date agents don't like to do that ... because they may not know the exact procedure. Perhaps, they simply gave an old lady a break and op-up her to J at the last moment.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
So wait, you guys have to pay taxes on your upgrades?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:43 pm

If AA made a mistake and deducted an extra SWU, I'd certainly call and try to get them to fix it. Using the golden rule, if they make a mistake in my favor, I'd alert them to this error as well. I find a good chunk of the time when I alert merchants to errors in my favor, they tell me not to worry about it--when they don't, all I end up doing is paying the proper amount.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by GEO22Olsen
But... what bothers me a little is that I know the flight was almost full, and there were 2 seats in Business when she left to go to the airport... I am almost certain there were others on the upgrade list ahead of her. So the fact that she was upgraded, and for nothing, makes me feel bad for the rightful heirs to the available J seat she occupied. If it had been legit, meaning she was next on the list, they likely would have taken my eVIP, right?
Welcome to FT, GEO22Olsen! There are a few possibilities, some of which have been discussed already. Another is that the flight was oversold, and assuming this was an AA 3-class 777, the gate agents rolled J to F to clear space in J, rolled Y to J to clear the oversold. In cases like that, especially where time is short, the gate agents may book people into F or J just to be quick. So, it's possible your friend didn't steal anyone's upgrade, but rather those ahead of her were cleared. I've been on LHR-LAX flights where a couple hours ahead F was half or more empty, and towards the end of boarding it filled up completely, presumably due to roll-forwards to clear the oversold. When this happens, more than 2 people often get rolled from Y to J, meaning your friend may have been upgraded in turn, not out of order.

Originally Posted by galaticos
I used to travel ORD-BOS-ORD quite a bit and the Aangles at admirals in BOS would always check my upgrade status and if not cleared already would book upgrade using F inventory and not X
Wow -- so you also got full F points and miles? Have they done anything like that in the past few years? (I recall a few years back a big change restricted AC agents' ability to process upgrades.)

Originally Posted by etsmyers
Not in general, no, but on flights originating in the U.K., there are higher taxes when traveling in a premium cabin. This is originating only, so connections are exempt, but when it applies it can be fairly steep. Last time I did it, if I recall it was 80 GBP.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by etsmyers
When the upgrade occurs from a departure location that charges additional taxes for the higher class of service - e.g. for Y to J upgrades from the UK (ADP) or from France (French Solidarity Tax).
Old Sep 26, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by Flyer_70
We're going to have to disagree on this. After dealing with another type of SWU mess, I tend to like my stuff in order.
I agree. I'm not saying you shouldn't just wait and see. Maybe they will never catch it. But like Flyer_70, I had planned to use one of my SWU on a really special trip and ended up short one for it as they unexpectedly pulled it out.

I guess it just depends on your circumstances. But all I know was it was really inconvenient for me coming up short when I needed it. Of course if you keep in the back of your mind that possibility, I guess it wouldn't hurt to wait and see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.