Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is Premium Economy so expensive for BA via AA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Marriott
Why is Premium Economy so expensive for BA via AA?

WT+ via AA's website costs more than business class. Why is it so high? It's about $4000 one way, I just booked my WT+ via the BA site instead of the AA site for roughly $2800 round trip. Why is WT+ so much more expensive on AA's site than BA's site for the BA flight I am planning? The regular coach tickets are roughly the same IIRC.....

Also, if I used my CITI AAdvantage card via the BA site, do you think I'd get any benefits? Priority boarding? Or does that come with Premium Economy anyway?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As far as I know, AA are only selling W tickets on BA, which are the most expensive, full fare and unrestricted Premium Economy tickets. On the other hand, AA do sell discounted business class tickets on BA, some of which do come with restrictions, so it's difficult to compare apples to apples. Unrestricted full fare business (J) is always going to be more than unrestricted full fare premium economy (W). If you want to buy premium economy on BA, you're best off buying directly from BA, who will sell you the lowest available premium economy ticket, not just W.

As for credit card benefits, you wouldn't get any of those on BA irrespective of where the ticket was booked.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
As far as I know, AA are only selling W tickets on BA, which are the most expensive, full fare and unrestricted Premium Economy tickets. On the other hand, AA do sell discounted business class tickets on BA, some of which do come with restrictions, so it's difficult to compare apples to apples. Unrestricted full fare business (J) is always going to be more than unrestricted full fare premium economy (W). If you want to buy premium economy on BA, you're best off buying directly from BA, who will sell you the lowest available premium economy ticket, not just W.

As for credit card benefits, you wouldn't get any of those on BA irrespective of where the ticket was booked.
This is not entirely accurate.

The AA codeshare for the BA flight will indeed show the W fare (full fare).

In order to be able to buy the cheaper "E" or the cheapest "T" Premium Economy fares on AA.com, you have to change the search "Choose a Carrier" setting to "AA, American Eagle, AmericanConnection® and oneworld" (Second option).

That will allow the system to show the BA flights with BA number. Those will show the cheaper E and T fares. In fact, a couple of months ago, I could get SAN-LHR-Europe on premium economy, T fare, for $610 and then the return on a mix of BA/AA Y for $509. Great deal. (It is not available anymore and only E fares for $1500 are available now, just like in the BA website)

So I disagree with Microwave.

**For itineraries with only BA metal flights and same class of travel inbound and outbound, yes BA website is better.

**For itineraries with mix and match of BA and AA flights and/or on different classes for inbound and outbound, the AA website is much better than the BA website. BA website does not allow mix and match of fare classes and gives you the AA operated flights as a BA codeshare that can't be upgraded and I have heard there are problems with seat selection on AA.com

Last edited by carlosdca; Sep 20, 2012 at 11:56 am
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by carlosdca

The AA codeshare for the BA flight will indeed show the W fare (full fare).

In order to be able to buy the cheaper "E" or the cheapest "T" Premium Economy fares on AA.com, you have to change the search "Choose a Carrier" setting to "AA, American Eagle, AmericanConnection® and oneworld" (Second option).

That will allow the system to show the BA flights with BA number. Those will show the cheaper E and T fares. In fact, a couple of months ago, I could get SAN-LHR-Europe on premium economy, T fare, for $610 and then the return on a mix of BA/AA Y for $509. Great deal. (It is not available anymore and only E fares for $1500 are available now, just like in the BA website)

**For itineraries with only BA metal flights and same class of travel inbound and outbound, yes BA website is better.

**For itineraries with mix and match of BA and AA flights and/or on different classes for inbound and outbound, the AA website is much better than the BA website. BA website does not allow mix and match of fare classes and gives you the AA operated flights as a BA codeshare that can't be upgraded and I have heard there are problems with seat selection on AA.com
Will aa.com always show the lowest BA sale fares (even when AA/AE/OW selected)? I recall BA sometimes running business class sales that didn't appear under that option. As an aside, there are sometimes some real gems with BA operated, IB coded tatl flights and AFAIK aa.com is actually the easiest place to book these (ba.com won't show them and IB's website is a bit more cumbersome and not quite as robust).
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by carlosdca

<snip>

Message received, and I certainly stand corrected. You're right--I was referring to codeshares and did not explain that at all. My bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.