Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Gold Visa Annual Fee

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Citi Gold Visa Annual Fee

Hey all. Could use some help figuring out what is going on.

Back when the 75,000 mile offer was around, I applied (or so I thought) for the Aadvantage Platinum card. Instead, I received the Gold card. I still got the 75,000 miles.

Now, my annual fee just came due. According to Citi's website, the Gold card should have an annual fee of $50. But instead of charging me $50 (or $95 for the Platinum card), Citi went ahead and charged me $85. After sending them an e-mail, Citi customer service sent me a reply saying that my annual fee is indeed $85 but offered no explanation.

Anyone know what is going on?

Quincy

Last edited by quincyc; Sep 20, 2012 at 10:43 am
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Did you call them and ask?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Just FYI: If you have enough money for a Citigold account, you can get that $85 annual fee waived.

$50k in a savings, CD or checking acct will do it. There are other combinations that work as well. Check out their website.

Edited later: This is all bogus. I called Citibank/Citigold and got correct info, which I detailed in a post below. Ignore all this.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Sep 20, 2012 at 11:47 am Reason: found out what I wrote was wrong.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:46 am
Original Poster

I'm in Japan ATM. I'll call Citi when I get back to the US if I can't resolve this via e-mail.

I don't have enough liquid funds for a Citigold account. Also, a part of me is curious to find out what is going on with my account.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Just FYI: If you have enough money for a Citigold account, you can get that $85 annual fee waived.

$50k in a savings, CD or checking acct will do it. There are other combinations that work as well. Check out their website.
A link would be helpful here. I've been U.S.- based Citigold for many years, and have always had my Citibank AAdvantage credit card annual fees waived, but was informed recently during a call with a CS rep that that perk had ended at the beginning of 2012. I asked the CS rep I was speaking to send me the mailing that I had obviously overlooked, and he asserted that there had been no mailing. I honestly don't know whether the CS rep was mistaken, or whether a big change to the program has gone unannounced. I went to look at the Citigold website, and could find no reference to the long-standing perk, but since you advised the OP to check out the website, it would be helpful to see what you're seeing. TIA!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:27 am
Original Poster

OMG trying to get customer service via e-mail is excruciating. I'm still attempting to get Citi to explain the $85 annual fee. Their second response was a polite explanation that, due to the services they offer, it is sometimes necessary charge an annual fee. Not at all what I asked and useless in my situation.

I fear that these customer service reps are not the highly-motivated, capable employees I believed them to be.

Quincy
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
A link would be helpful here. I've been U.S.- based Citigold for many years, and have always had my Citibank AAdvantage credit card annual fees waived, but was informed recently during a call with a CS rep that that perk had ended at the beginning of 2012
OK, folks, I called Citibank Citigold and got the scoop.

Fees are waived for Citbank Aadvantage Citigold customers if the card was active before October, 2011. That is when they changed their policy to not waiving credit card fees for Citigold customers.

I have had a Citibank Aadvantage credit card for years, so since it was active before (long before) October, 2011, that fee is waived "forever". ("Forever" means until they change their policy again. Right now it's "forever".)

If I were to get a new Citibank Aadvantage card, even with a Citigold account, I would have to pay the fee every year.

The advice to get a new Citigold account and credit card in order to have fees waived officially will not work. I will amend my earlier post.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
A link would be helpful here. I've been U.S.- based Citigold for many years, and have always had my Citibank AAdvantage credit card annual fees waived, but was informed recently during a call with a CS rep that that perk had ended at the beginning of 2012
The perk ended for new Citibank credit card holders Oct, 2011. See my other detailed message.

There may be a policy that ended this perk for customers with a poor credit history. That's pure speculation on my part.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by quincyc
Hey all. Could use some help figuring out what is going on.

Back when the 75,000 mile offer was around, I applied (or so I thought) for the Aadvantage Platinum card. Instead, I received the Gold card. I still got the 75,000 miles.

Now, my annual fee just came due. According to Citi's website, the Gold card should have an annual fee of $50. But instead of charging me $50 (or $95 for the Platinum card), Citi went ahead and charged me $85. After sending them an e-mail, Citi customer service sent me a reply saying that my annual fee is indeed $85 but offered no explanation.

Anyone know what is going on?

Quincy
I've got a Citi Gold Signature Visa with a fee of $85. I've had it for almost 20 years, I know the fee used to be lower but went to $85 several years ago. I think it's a different flavor than what they offer currently to new customers.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
I've got a Citi Gold Signature Visa with a fee of $85. I've had it for almost 20 years, I know the fee used to be lower but went to $85 several years ago. I think it's a different flavor than what they offer currently to new customers.
OK, Citi told me that the annual fee when I signed up was $85 but it's now $50 for new card holders.

Last edited by quincyc; Sep 21, 2012 at 7:33 am
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Downgrade to bronze and no annual fee
Old Sep 22, 2012, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
So what are the differences between the Gold card with the annual fee of $85 and the Gold card that Citi currently offers (with the annual fee of $50)?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

After speaking to Citi on the phone, they were able to convert my $85 annual fee card to a $50 annual fee card. Had to reissue the card with a new number and everything.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I'm sure it isn't sustainable, but I had my fee waived this year. I was going to cancel the card (for a number of reasons) - but decided to keep it open when it didn't cost me anything.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
FYI. Citibank seems to be offering a new promotion targeting Citibank AAdvantage cardholders. 30,000 miles for opening up a Citigold checking account. Minimum of $50,000 deposit and you have to have at least one direct deposit for 2 months in a row and spend $750 on the debit card.

They said they would also waive my annual fee on my Citi AAdvantage card (I've been a member before October 2011... they also confirmed you had to be a cardmember before then). It seemed like a no brainer with the 30,000 bonus miles.

It was a targeted offer. I'm already maxed out at Bank Direct so figured it was a good way to pick up some miles in this low interest environment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.