Wiki Posts
Search

Brutal DYKWIA moment

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Brutal DYKWIA moment

On the flight last night ATL-ORD, the FA announced during takeoff/landing that passengers with iPads and iPhones need to turn off the devices completely and explained exactly how to do it.

As the FA was walking down the aisle, she asked the passenger across the aisle from me if he would power down his tablet completely. The guy in the seat said it was powered down. She corrected him and said it was not and told him what button to press and hold to do so. This miffed the passenger and he held the tablet up to show her the blank screen. She reached to it, pressed the button on the top once, and it immediately illuminated. This apparently called his bluff and he went into a tirade, wanting to know what was wrong and why he was being treated like this. The FA informed the passenger politely that this was FAA and AA rules, and that she was obligated to enforce them if she witnesses non-compliance. At this point the passenger went off. "I've never had anyone do this before. I'm Concierge Key and you should really be treating me better! Can you give me your card?"

The FA came back with a slip that had all her information and kindly handed the passenger his sport coat before landing. I don't think this FA should take heat for doing her job. I'm considering writing a note to AA complimenting the FA for being professional in a heated moment.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
In the event that this idiot actually did contact AA and complain that the flight attendant actually made him abide by federal regulations, I hardly think she (the FA) will get in trouble...
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:49 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Write the note. In similar future situations, I would suggest talking to the FA during the flight to let her know about your support. I've done this in a very similar case (although I don't recall the specific details). The passenger was being a dick, and the FA was very professional. When she went to the galley, I went to talk with her to let her know that I had seen what happened and asking what she would like me to do for support. She asked if I would write in to customer service with my view of the situation, and I did.

Some will say "mind your own business." But I think that this sort of treatment is all of our business.

Originally Posted by Zach1213
In the event that this idiot actually did contact AA and complain that the flight attendant actually made him abide by federal regulations, I hardly think she (the FA) will get in trouble...
But it won't be communicated this way. She was "rude and unprofessional." She "grabbed it from my hand." It got "damaged." You really shouldn't have people with "that kind of attitude" working on your planes. And, of course, "I'm CK - how can you treat me that way?"

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by clark_addison
The FA came back with a slip that had all her information and kindly handed the passenger his sport coat before landing. I don't think this FA should take heat for doing her job. I'm considering writing a note to AA complimenting the FA for being professional in a heated moment.
You definitely should write because all such complaints/compliments will make it down to her supervisor and go in her file -- even the FA will have the opportunity to read it.

Since you will be able to offer an objective view of the incident, it will go a long way in protecting this FA from unfair discipline. Do it!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since the DYKWIA CK-hole is a known liar (he lied to the FA's face about the tablet), I think it's safe to assume that any letter/email he writes to AA will be similarly untruthful. I'd send a brief note outlining what actually happened.

I don't often support the idea of having LEOs meet the flight, but this offender might have benefitted from a brief chat with the authorities upon landing. The crew showed more restraint than I would have.

I'm ok with people trying to skirt the electronics rules, but if caught, there is no excuse for berating the FA. The proper conduct is to sheepishly, quietly COMPLY and not breach the peace.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:01 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm ok with people trying to skirt the electronics rules, but if caught, there is no excuse for berating the FA. The proper conduct is to sheepishly, quietly COMPLY and not breach the peace.
Precisely. I typically turn my phone on airplane mode and mute rather than turning it off, despite knowing what the rule is, because I know what the potential impact is. However, if I were caught in this way, I would have no qualms about fully powering down.

My guess is that the guy was more pissed about being caught lying than about actually having to power down.

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:36 am

In similar circumstances I've given my business card to the FA/GA and let them know I'm happy to write in now or just let me know later if any help is needed.

Often the bluster fades and the complaint never happens so I just feel that giving them the option not to alert 'management' unless needed was worthwhile.

Last occasion I did this was for a GA faced with a classic DYKWIA rant that she handled entirely professionally and politely with out ever raising her voice yet she was accused of being rude and unhelpful despite the fact that what she was being asked to do was neither possible nor permissible.

Amazing how many times people characterize a negative response to an unreasonable request as 'rude'
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Sounds more like this pax was a "DYKWADBIA"
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
There is no excuse for this guy's behavior. That said, I travel with my iPad this way all the time - just folding the cover closed - and have never had an issue. If a FA insisted I actually power the entire thing down, I would have been surprised (though of course politely complied).
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:27 am

No excuse for the guy's behaviour.
But why are FA's going around enforcing an idiotic rule?

We all know that electronic equipment does NOT affect avaition equipment and this is just absolute nonsense that it does.

To take it a step further Bose noise cancelling headsets also have to be powered off.
I know some of you will say it is electronic equipment--but once again why is a stupid rule enforced.

There is no question this has all gotten carried to extremes.
If a Bose Headset can cause problems than Boeing ought to doing something about it.
The fact is Bose head sets and phones etc do not interfere whatsoever.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by vail
Because if they fail to do it and it gets picked up by the FAA they can be fined.

Not sure if this is still current, but up to $1100 fine would focus the minds of most people I'd think?

http://www.afa66.org/faa_flight_atte...ine_checks.htm
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:36 am

A little thing called "the law".
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Because they are supposed to do so. @:-)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
To take it a step further Bose noise cancelling headsets also have to be powered off.
I know some of you will say it is electronic equipment--but once again why is a stupid rule enforced.
The fact is Bose head sets and phones etc do not interfere whatsoever.
They in fact do interfere with passengers' ability to hear the preflight safety announcements @:-)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Science Goy
They in fact do interfere with passengers' ability to hear the preflight safety announcements @:-)
That is an ignorant statement--the fact is you can hear people talking more clearly because it filters out the low hum noise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.