Search

GRU better from DFW or MIA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
GRU better from DFW or MIA

Hi all, DL guy here flying more AA now.
I will be doing two trips to GRU in J this year and wanted to know from the veterans if flying from DFW or MIA makes much difference in service, plane type AC etc. I can leave from either so just wanted to get the scoop.

Thanks, D
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:34 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
The planes are the same, the service is the same and the food is the same.
Having said that, given an alternative to MIA, I always choose DFW if the other factors are similar. MIA is too chaotic for my taste.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The advantage is that if your flight out of MIA is canceled you may have more immediate rebooking options. From an AC prospective, I'd take DFW though over MIA (MIA ACs are packed to the gills) if lounge quality means anything to you.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Without Global Entry, DFW no question. With GE, either is just as good as the other.

Edit: from, doesn't really matter. Like said earlier, more frequency out of MIA, but that's about the only difference. Returning, MIA customs and immigration is an absolute nightmare without GE.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Both DFW and MIA have multiple daily flights to GRU, so you should be okay in the event of IRROPS. MIA has one additional flight, if you are really concerned.

Mix of 763/772 service from both hubs. Choose 763 if you want the upgraded amenities in J. Or choose 772 if you have purchased J and would like to upgrade to F.

DFW-GRU will give you more time to sleep--an extra 1.5 hours or so in between the meal services. Not sure if that matters to you. It matters a lot to me, as I like to land in Deep South America, drop my stuff at the hotel, and start sightseeing! (Big advantage over that awful sleep-deprived, drowsy feeling when you land in Europe.)

MIA has the OW Premium Lounge....but it's not as nice as a FL. IMHO, not worth connecting there just for this lounge. DFW has only ACs, unless you can convince the BA lounge dragons to let you in. And even then, the BA lounge has no beverages for self-serve, nor a bar--you have to request drinks the roving wait staff. Big nuisance.

I agree about GlobaEntry....if you do not have it, choose DFW for the return flight. It will make for a much more pleasant experience than MIA (although supposedly there is a new FIS facility opening soon in D or perhaps already open).
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends on where you are when the trip starts. Your profile lists two places. If you're starting your trip in Atlanta, then fly via DFW (more miles).

If you're starting your trip in Los Angeles, then route via JFK (lots more miles). Routing via MIA could mean a 777 on both legs.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Thx all. I do have GE so it looks like a wash.
Thx for the quick replies. Loving AA
D
Old Aug 20, 2012, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
AA will start service on their brand new 77W (777-300ER) in mid-December on DFW-GRU. It isn't daily, but if the dates that it flies work out for you, then you may want to consider it. The new FIS facility in MIA is open now, but GE makes both pretty easy (I know DFW is a breeze with dedicated lanes).
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat, PreCheck
I basically agree with everyone else but I would also say that in part it depends on where you are connecting to. For me, coming to and from SFO, it's much better to use DFW. More flights and more time on the 777. I do like that greater amount of time to sleep.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I normally purchase j class and upgrade to F on the 777's. As such I like the additional flight time from DFW to enjoy the the F Suite and get more sleep. MIA-GRU seems too short to me.....although I used to do it frequently when I lived in MIA.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
MIA was one of the first GE facilities. Not sure if the new Customs area has a designated GE lane but I always just stepped to the front of the line in the older facility with no problems.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I prefer the longer DFW-GRU flight. It gives me more time to sleep and I feel more rested when I arrive.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Great info, thanks all.

Another Q.
What's the availableity like upgrading from J to F on either of those routs. Leaving on a Friday returning on a wedensday.
Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:30 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Get a free trial subscription to Expert Flyer. Very easy to check. Typically the upgrade from J to F is much easier than Y to J.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by dean1121
Great info, thanks all.

Another Q.
What's the availableity like upgrading from J to F on either of those routs. Leaving on a Friday returning on a wedensday.
Thanks.
Usually a slam-dunk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.