Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-PVG in 1st: AA (nonstop) or CX (via HKG)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
LAX-PVG in 1st: AA (nonstop) or CX (via HKG)

My wife and I are planning our first trip to China next July. We booked a tour starting in Shanghai and ending in Beijing. After Bejing, we have decided to stop in HKG for a few days and then fly home (hopefully, on CX F!) I've been reading up on redeeming AA miles on CX - so hopefully, we can make that happen.

My question is regarding LAX-PVG. Using AA miles, I have 2 biz class seats reserved on CX from LAX-PVG via HKG (1 FC is available on the date we are looking at). Now, 2 F seats opened on up on AA's flt 183 same day. Is the quality great enough between AA F and CX J/F, that people would prefer to take the connecting flight? On the return, our plan is to fly home on CX F (from the other threads, it sounds like something to experience!)

Bottom line - would people prefer taking AA F nonstop or CX J/F with a connection?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
My wife and I are planning our first trip to China next July. We booked a tour starting in Shanghai and ending in Beijing. After Bejing, we have decided to stop in HKG for a few days and then fly home (hopefully, on CX F!) I've been reading up on redeeming AA miles on CX - so hopefully, we can make that happen.

My question is regarding LAX-PVG. Using AA miles, I have 2 biz class seats reserved on CX from LAX-PVG via HKG (1 FC is available on the date we are looking at). Now, 2 F seats opened on up on AA's flt 183 same day. Is the quality great enough between AA F and CX J/F, that people would prefer to take the connecting flight? On the return, our plan is to fly home on CX F (from the other threads, it sounds like something to experience!)

Bottom line - would people prefer taking AA F nonstop or CX J/F with a connection?

I would take the connection, but I love CX. HKG is a fantastic connection airport, and the CX lounges are very nice, so the connection will be easy (and a nice chance to grab a shower or some food).
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:41 am

I'm thinking of taking such a trip also next year. Can you do a Stop over in HK for 4 day on CX with AAmiles. Also Can you book a one way award on CX with AA miles?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'd snatch those two AA F seats - two birds in the hand, get to the holiday destination more quickly, etc. - and enjoy the CX back from HKG. This way you get to enjoy the HGK lounges at the Wing or the Pier, and compare airline First experiences.

Yes, CX has better soft product, but AA's F is not bad (and due to disappear in most instances, as only the 777-323ERs will have First in the future).

Originally Posted by I Love to Travel

No, not on one AA or partner award; this would require two awards. And all AA awards are one way.

Originally Posted by ducktape
I'm thinking of taking such a trip also next year. Can you do a Stop over in HK for 4 day on CX with AAmiles. Also Can you book a one way award on CX with AA miles?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree completely to grab the two AA First nonstop seats to China. I'd value AA F above CX J, especially if only one of the two in the party can get into CX F.

I have to assume that CX F sells faster than AA F and with a larger number of AA F seats available (14 to/from Asia), getting AA award seats in F may be easier than CX, which has smaller F cabins (as AA is moving toward with its eight seat F on the 77W).
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Agree with many others. Snap up your AA F seats to China. Return on CX. You'll save time. You'll also have a comparison to dine out on.

On these boards we have a tendency to confuse the journey with the destination.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Originally Posted by Pushpak
Agree with many others. Snap up your AA F seats to China. Return on CX. You'll save time. You'll also have a comparison to dine out on.

On these boards we have a tendency to confuse the journey with the destination.
I'm with you on this. I always fly as direct as possible on the way, but I'll get creative on the return. Fatigue-wise, I've always found overseas connections make the subsequent day a little tougher on the body than just flying direct and hitting the ground running.

OP - if you've never experienced CX F, take a PEK-HKG-LAX award on the return. You won't be disappointed. It's a fantastic flying experience. Remember, CX F awards tend to open up at the last minute. Be proactive about monitoring the availability during your trip, then call AA on Skype from China to get changed over to CX F.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Can't give good advice as I haven't flown AA F but I have flown CX F and it was so much better than BA F that I would take the connection in a heartbeat if it was CX F. If CX J, I'd take the non-stop.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Personally I would take the connection in CX F. Keep one of you in J and monitor availability twice daily from 2 weeks out. There is a good chance another F award would open up. If not, one of you flies J, no big deal.

I agree with those saying AA F is superior to CX J, however.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
One more vote for LAX-PVG. 777s are great; premium service is fine (not CX, but who is). And those saying it's an 'easy' connection from HKG to PVG seem to forget the PRC still runs aviation over the mainland - the 'short' flight takes a lot longer than it should every time I've flown it - laughed as I watched our plane slalom up the coast on the IFE , then fly in circles near PVG. Get to where you're going. You've already decided (very correctly) to hit HKG - not like you're not going to see the city and get to experience their great airport. LAX-PVG gets in so you can get into the city and get a late dinner, sleep, and hit the ground running the next morning.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Thanks everyone for your input. I reserved the AA flight.

Once the 331-day window arrives I can start working on the return on CX.

@blakepilot - thanks for the Skype idea! Hadn't even thought about it.

Since the outbound is available now (I have it on hold), I'll book it. But, then I would have to book the return as seperate reservation, correct?

Are there any disadvantages to booking the outbound and return seperately (besides double fees if I have to cancel the trip)?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Zach1213
I would take the connection, but I love CX. HKG is a fantastic connection airport, and the CX lounges are very nice, so the connection will be easy (and a nice chance to grab a shower or some food).
+1.
Right on.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Yea id agree grab what you can BUT I'd use CX as much as possible even if something opens up where you have to make a change. IMHO CX is the queen of the skies.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
AA F and CX J are roughly the same. AA F has a larger seat and CX J has more polished service and better food.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by eethan
AA F and CX J are roughly the same. AA F has a larger seat and CX J has more polished service and better food.
I agree. CX F is light years ahead of AA F. Just compare the number of seats: CX has 3 seats across in the 777, AA has 4. CX has around 4 windows distance between the rows, AA has 3. This means the CX seat occupies almost twice the space of the AA seat.
Service and food on AA F has nothing to do with First Class. It feels like a substandard business class.

If you want to get from LAX to PVG in a mediocre seat with bad service and very mediocre food in around 13 hours take AA.
If you don't mind spending an extra 6 hours (around two in regional business class) for a much better product take CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.