FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Avis: Earn 3,000 or 5,000 AAdvantage miles and up to 35% off, until 15 Sep 2012 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1369042-avis-earn-3-000-5-000-aadvantage-miles-up-35-off-until-15-sep-2012-a.html)

pkerr Jul 30, 2012 10:51 am

$23.50 here all in but after adding parking and gas it comes out to be about $01.2 per mile.

snugglening Jul 30, 2012 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express (Post 19023939)
Lets not kill the golden goose. Last time Budget/Avis had an outstanding deal (9,999 Skymiles) it worked fine until people tried to rent the entire lot. It was then preemptively pulled and only 3 rentals per account were credited the bonus regardless of how many rental agreements for which you signed and paid.

Take possession of a single vehicle at a time, remove it from the lot, and gas it up or don't fight the fee.

FWIW, for that deal the car had to be checked out a minimum of 2:31 (151 minutes) to be charged for a day and not 2 hours with a 30 minute grace period. I chose to see a movie and buy a trivial amount on gas on the way back.

Dont worry I wasnt planning on doing what RDJ from Tropic Thunder said "Everybody knows you never go full retard. " I wasnt planning on renting the whole lot. LOL Oh for CLE airport $35 Ai

myefre Jul 30, 2012 3:43 pm

What about this plan? To insure the rental goes thru and get 2 in one day, do two one ways. If your returning to a new place, they would have to complete the transaction, right? I see DAL-DFW is $37.

jar2542 Jul 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Can you go through the Ultimate Rewards mall to get 3 extra points?

AA_EXP09 Jul 31, 2012 8:25 am

Originally Posted by myefre (Post 19029484)
What about this plan? To insure the rental goes thru and get 2 in one day, do two one ways. If your returning to a new place, they would have to complete the transaction, right? I see DAL-DFW is $37.

I can't do that, though, as I can't drive an American rental car into Canada.

TR7_DFW Jul 31, 2012 9:57 am

Originally Posted by myefre (Post 19029484)

Is it worth it to you to get 6,000 miles for $74 plus the hassle of picking up, dropping off, etc?

If my math is correct, a person would need to do eight "one day" rentals to receive 24,000 miles (ALMOST a free roundtrip ticket) for a cost of $296 plus any other items not included in the rental.

Happy Jul 31, 2012 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by TR7_DFW (Post 19033655)
Is it worth it to you to get 6,000 miles for $74 plus the hassle of picking up, dropping off, etc?

If my math is correct, a person would need to do eight "one day" rentals to receive 24,000 miles (ALMOST a free roundtrip ticket) for a cost of $296 plus any other items not included in the rental.

Voice of Reason!

Seriously, this promo only works for those who are near smallish airports that have cheap rental and easy in easy out (without mucho parking fee) set up...

Or if you happen to be traveling and need rental car anyway...

Else, it is a total wash, or worse, "lost" in the term of time at least, may even involve $ as well when you factor in the parking fee and the gas.

The pay off simply is not there (for my book the cost has to be at least below 50% to make it worthwhile when physical activity is required.)

PromoGoogler Jul 31, 2012 1:35 pm

My second SNA one day rental didn't earn any miles. It looks like all car groups qualify so this must not be a participating airport location.

Originally Posted by PromoGoogler (Post 19025507)
Sorry I wasn't clear. It was the paper receipt and the emailed receipt. I just checked my receipt from avis.com, none of the 3 receipts show miles earned. Maybe it was because I rented a Compact car? I didn't think it had to be intermediate or above but I have another SNA rental (Full size) to be returned tomorrow. I will find out if I get miles on this one. Thanks!

sdsearch Jul 31, 2012 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 19034990)
Voice of Reason!

Seriously, this promo only works for those who are near smallish airports that have cheap rental and easy in easy out (without mucho parking fee) set up...

Or if you happen to be traveling and need rental car anyway...

Or if you're just a few rentals away from Avis First (now that only Avis First, not Avis Preferred, has upgrades as an official policy), and being Avis First will save you a good chunk of the cost of however many rentals you're doing in the difference between two classes of cars on a long-duration rental you have coming up.

I'm not doing this to max out miles. I wouldn't do this for the miles alone, and I wouldn't do this for the Avis First bump (before a two-week European rental) alone, but it makes sense for me to do 5 (not 8) such rentals in August. Total cost about $170 (in my case, there's street parking always available near my local airport rental facility, so no airport parking cost like for some people). Saves me about $100 in car class on my European rental. So now I'm only out a net $70 or so for 15000 miles. That's like getting 25k for under about $116.

However: The last mileage redemption I did was 50k instead of an $850ish flight (Christmastime redemption). (Bonus: Booked straight into first, instead of anytime economy; those were the only two choices, both 50k roundtrip.) That's $425ish per 25k. So if those kind of valuations is all you redeem for, why is spending $300ish to get 25k not enough?

Or look at it this way: 2x25k = 50k, which is the average of awards to Europe (I reallize they're actually either 40k or 60k, but taking the average simplifies the math). How often do you find flights to Europe for $600ish? (Maybe you do from the east coast, I dunno, I rarely do from the west coast, at least when I actually want to go.)

But of course, there's redemption up front. Want to show me a business class round trip fare of anywhere near $1200ish for Europe??? :confused:

So it can depend very much on how you redeem whether $300ish cost for earning 25k miles makes sense or not.

sdsearch Jul 31, 2012 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by PromoGoogler (Post 19035016)
My second SNA one day rental didn't earn any miles. It looks like all car groups qualify so this must not be a participating airport location.

Something sounds wrong here. Not earning bonus miles is one thing, not earning any miles (if you really meant what you said, ie, no 50 miles even) is another. Are you using the AWD mentioned in the promo or some other? If some other, some AWDs rule out earning airline miles totally (ie, not a matter of promo or not, but just earning airline miles period). Make sure you're not using one of those!

I can see how a particular airport might not be participating for a promo, but I don't why SNA would suddenly have switched to not giving miles at all.

Minos Jul 31, 2012 2:45 pm

My rental of 4 days and more at ACY last week-end does not show any point or mile on the receipt nor online. It was prepaid at Avis.com using the standard AA coupon and AWD. There was no mention whatsoever that the location was not participating. I am complaining to Avis.

BTW, AVIS Alaska never participates in these deals just FYI.
Minos

Happy Jul 31, 2012 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 19035425)
Or if you're just a few rentals away from Avis First (now that only Avis First, not Avis Preferred, has upgrades as an official policy), and being Avis First will save you a good chunk of the cost of however many rentals you're doing in the difference between two classes of cars on a long-duration rental you have coming up.

I'm not doing this to max out miles. I wouldn't do this for the miles alone, and I wouldn't do this for the Avis First bump (before a two-week European rental) alone, but it makes sense for me to do 5 (not 8) such rentals in August. Total cost about $170 (in my case, there's street parking always available near my local airport rental facility, so no airport parking cost like for some people). Saves me about $100 in car class on my European rental. So now I'm only out a net $70 or so for 15000 miles. That's like getting 25k for under about $116.

However: The last mileage redemption I did was 50k instead of an $850ish flight (Christmastime redemption). (Bonus: Booked straight into first, instead of anytime economy; those were the only two choices, both 50k roundtrip.) That's $425ish per 25k. So if those kind of valuations is all you redeem for, why is spending $300ish to get 25k not enough?

Or look at it this way: 2x25k = 50k, which is the average of awards to Europe (I reallize they're actually either 40k or 60k, but taking the average simplifies the math). How often do you find flights to Europe for $600ish? (Maybe you do from the east coast, I dunno, I rarely do from the west coast, at least when I actually want to go.)

But of course, there's redemption up front. Want to show me a business class round trip fare of anywhere near $1200ish for Europe??? :confused:

So it can depend very much on how you redeem whether $300ish cost for earning 25k miles makes sense or not.

How many people have your kind of situation going into this promotion? :rolleyes:

The point I made is, in general if this is done straightly for miles, the pay out ratio is not high enough for all the hassle factors involved - one of them I dont even bother to mention, is the potential damage to the rental car - while it is rare, it could happen - a careless casual driver happened to be near your rental and then caused some damage while you were not even around to watch...

Your own elaborate analysis only proves that, if it is for the miles alone (and even if just for bumping up your Avis status alone), it is NOT worth the trouble.

Dont tell us that you or there would be someone who plans to do this promo so to acumulate enough miles for a biz r/t to Europe - that would mean 100K/3000 = 33.33 single day rental... How much time / effort one would invest in doing that? If someone truly is doing this, my hat tips to him! It is not like you can "buy" the miles with the same cost - you have to get out with your butt and actually rent the car, keep it enough time so it would be counted as one-day to qualify the promo, etc etc.

(And dont give me the talk of "top off" account.)

Finally, Avis has been known to not posting correct bonuses of similar promotions in the past - across all FFPs. So you would also need to factor in the hassle to chase Avis on all the bonuses you are owed if they dont post on time as they should.

It is a good promo for those who have natural need for a rental car - so instead of renting from others, you rent from Avis. But it is not a promo good enough to make people go out of their ways to do because this is not something you can do it with the minimal effort, like just be in front of your computer...

mikelat Jul 31, 2012 11:02 pm

Anyone found any good rates for Seattle eastside (Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond)? I can only find ~$80/day ($240 total)

dsldog400 Aug 1, 2012 12:58 am

Sort of needed a car last Sunday in eastern Washington because the AC in mine is out. Thought about renting, wasn't sure, then remembered this promo. I rent with Avis about 95% of the time, and have Avis First benefits.

Booked on Avis website, entered discount & coupon. Turned rental back Monday at noon, receipt shows 3050 miles. $33.00 total. Wish I had rented 2 or 3.

I have never had any issues with miles posting from Avis.

AA_EXP09 Aug 1, 2012 6:34 am

Originally Posted by mikelat (Post 19037895)
Anyone found any good rates for Seattle eastside (Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond)? I can only find ~$80/day ($240 total)

Try going North of the border. They have better rates.