FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Avis: Earn 3,000 or 5,000 AAdvantage miles and up to 35% off, until 15 Sep 2012 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1369042-avis-earn-3-000-5-000-aadvantage-miles-up-35-off-until-15-sep-2012-a.html)

chinesescouse Jul 26, 2012 3:21 am

I have a message in my confirmation email that says "Coupon: To be calculated at the counter."

Does that mean I have to actually queue up to speak to a rep to make sure that I get these miles on check in/out? Anyone who have gone through the process and had to confirm anything with a rep?

I'm usually a renter of Hertz and just pick up my car and drive away. In fact, I don't think I've ever rented from Avis before.

Thanks!

sdsearch Jul 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by chinesescouse (Post 19004080)
I have a message in my confirmation email that says "Coupon: To be calculated at the counter."

Does that mean I have to actually queue up to speak to a rep to make sure that I get these miles on check in/out? Anyone who have gone through the process and had to confirm anything with a rep?

No, it always says that. It means nothing in this case.

The reason is says that is that most coupons (the ones from airlines / hotels being the exception) change your rate, but that change to the rate is only calculated at the counter. However, with a coupon that simply gives bonus miles or points, there's nothing to calculate, so that statement is meaningless. But the system does not know what kind of coupon you have, and so throws in that language in case it applies.

(And, believe it or not, most people who rent cars are not frequenty-flier-savvy or even frequent-flier-aware, and among those people coupons are always a discount. So to Avis, the discount type of coupon is the majority. It's only to FTers that the bonus miles/points coupon is the majority! :))

What matters is only whether it said "coupon: accepted" during your online reservation process. If so, you're ok.

In any case, you don't need to do anything regarding any bonus miles/points coupon at the counter.

chinesescouse Jul 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 19007372)
No, it always says that. It means nothing in this case.

The reason is says that is that most coupons (the ones from airlines / hotels being the exception) change your rate, but that change to the rate is only calculated at the counter. However, with a coupon that simply gives bonus miles or points, there's nothing to calculate, so that statement is meaningless. But the system does not know what kind of coupon you have, and so throws in that language in case it applies.

(And, believe it or not, most people who rent cars are not frequenty-flier-savvy or even frequent-flier-aware, and among those people coupons are always a discount. So to Avis, the discount type of coupon is the majority. It's only to FTers that the bonus miles/points coupon is the majority! :))

What matters is only whether it said "coupon: accepted" during your online reservation process. If so, you're ok.

In any case, you don't need to do anything regarding any bonus miles/points coupon at the counter.

Perfect! Thank you! I'm a pretty simple guy; I just make the reservations and I've been ignoring the rest. Now I'm being more clever...and after seeing this award, I decided to change my typical Hertz reservation.

Does anyone know if there is a max/limit to the number of miles that can be achieved before the Aug 31 expiration date?

aviator8 Jul 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by chinesescouse (Post 19007428)
Perfect! Thank you! I'm a pretty simple guy; I just make the reservations and I've been ignoring the rest. Now I'm being more clever...and after seeing this award, I decided to change my typical Hertz reservation.

Does anyone know if there is a max/limit to the number of miles that can be achieved before the Aug 31 expiration date?

I did not see any limitations to the number of times it can be obtained, just that the rental must start by 8/31

svasandani Jul 26, 2012 2:31 pm

I will ask my questions again as it seems like they got lost in the shuffle. Hoping somebody has experience with them:

If I book a car starting at Fri 1AM and returning the same day at 10PM and then i sohow up at the airport counter a couple of hours early on Thu 11PM will it cause any problems. The reason I am asking is because if I choose Thu 11PM at time of booking the daily rate shoots up.

If I book a "Pay Now" rate which looks similar to a advance purchase non-refundable rate for hotels will I still get the bonus miles. I have never seen these before for Car Rentals.

aviator8 Jul 26, 2012 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by svasandani (Post 19007765)
I will ask my questions again as it seems like they got lost in the shuffle. Hoping somebody has experience with them:

If I book a car starting at Fri 1AM and returning the same day at 10PM and then i sohow up at the airport counter a couple of hours early on Thu 11PM will it cause any problems. The reason I am asking is because if I choose Thu 11PM at time of booking the daily rate shoots up.

If I book a "Pay Now" rate which looks similar to a advance purchase non-refundable rate for hotels will I still get the bonus miles. I have never seen these before for Car Rentals.

no experience to answer that personally.

drzoidberg Jul 26, 2012 3:13 pm

I see Gary posted this deal on his blog- must be where all the extra traffic is coming from. :)

rnprasad Jul 26, 2012 4:26 pm

While this is a good deal, no one mentioned about possibility of multiple bookings for the same day. That could potentially lead to FTers booking complete fleets at some airports locations!!

sanctified50 Jul 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by svasandani (Post 19007765)

I know the prepaid rates still earn miles. As far as picking up the car early on a prepaid rate, I don't know.

aviator8 Jul 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by rnprasad (Post 19008514)
While this is a good deal, no one mentioned about possibility of multiple bookings for the same day. That could potentially lead to FTers booking complete fleets at some airports locations!!

lol, i did see that mentioned in a blog comment section.

bitachu Jul 26, 2012 6:56 pm

can we book this deal thru the reg avis site or do we have to go thru this aa vacations one? anyone got any ideas?

aviator8 Jul 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by bitachu (Post 19009280)
can we book this deal thru the reg avis site or do we have to go thru this aa vacations one? anyone got any ideas?

Regular avis site works fin. don;t have to go through AA, also learned you can use any AWD, don't have to use the AA AWD so whichever gets you a better deal, Just make sure you input the coupon, and it is an airport pickup.

JFKSFOLAX_friend Jul 27, 2012 5:54 am

Originally Posted by aviator8 (Post 19007845)
no experience to answer that personally.

I don't think you need to reply if you don't know an answer.

Imagine the thread lengths if everyone that didn't have an answer stated that in a post. ;)

sdsearch Jul 27, 2012 10:51 am

I'm at 7 rentals for the year, so 5 rentals away from qualifying for Avis First.

For 5 one-day weekend rentals between $37ish all-in (early Aug) and $33ish all-in (late Aug) at LAX, I can do double duty: Get up to Avis First and earn 15k AA miles at about 1 cpm! (Those are prices for Economy, A, but Compact, B, is only a buck or so more.)

(And Avis First will hopefully help me get an upgrade on a ZRH rental I have coming up a bit later, that's booked for an Economy car because the price difference in that case is way more signficant.)

sdsearch Jul 27, 2012 12:37 pm

3000 or 5000 bonus AA miles for Avis airport US/CA rentals thru Aug 31, 2012

3000 bonus miles for 1 or 2 day rentals, 5000 bonus miles for 3+ day rentals.

Only at US/Canada airport locations. And only through August 31, 2012.

See this trhread over in the Avis forum for details and discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis/...8-31-12-a.html