Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Long-time EXPs: Are you flying AA less because of DEQM & UA status giveaways?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: AA EXPs: flying AA more, less or the same because of DEQM and UA status giveaways?
I'm flying AA about the same
55.13%
I'm flying AA less but more on AA or oneworld partners
6.41%
I'm flying AA less but more on non-partner airlines / alliances
3.85%
I'm flying AA itself more this year
19.23%
I'm flying less this year overall
15.38%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Long-time EXPs: Are you flying AA less because of DEQM & UA status giveaways?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
For those that fly quite a lot more than 100K, since AA does not have additional incentives other than at 125K EQP, you don't earn any additional bonuses, whereas I believe UA flyers get additional upgrades with additional flying.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm probably in a minority on this but this just seems like a ridiculous question to me. There are probably a lot of valid reasons why someone may adjust the amount of flying they do on AA but I don't see this being one of them.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:05 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA 3MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by fishferbrains
At 6'5" (and limited personal/biz travel budget) the upgrade leg room really matters to me too. After 5 years EXP I'm not traveling less in-spite of the DEQM; I'm traveling less on AA because the I'm getting better service and scheduling on other airlines at my status level.

My frequent TATL flights are booked relatively last minute (<10 days); so I'm paying top dollar for Economy seats with less than a 50% upgrade success in 5 RTs on AA this year. My AA flights to/from the west coast average 15-16 hours total travel time.

So I'm now more miles on Flying Blue this year than AAdvantage with more upgrades (including paid at check-in) in that program. My new AAdvantage miles strategy flying now focuses on using BA since they a) get me to the west coast faster b) frequently have an opportunity to upgrade at check-in (paid).

Strangely enough, I've had three "involuntary upgrades" on BA this year; including one last week on a AAward ticket for my girlfriend that evidently carries my status.

As much as I love AA; I'm feeling more love from their partner BA and even other programs. It's hard to ignore.

P.S. I'll still manage to quality for EXP, but AA could have so much more from me.
I agree with your sentiments entirely. My only problem about possibly switching to BA is the BAEC does not appear to answer the telephone when you call on the blue number. Gold line is normally answered promptly.
So initial switching without status match would be painful.
I was unable to use a 241 with BA despite attempting numerous telephone calls over a three week period.
Also an inability to credit Avios from both UK and US issued credit cards not as convenient as with UA and AA programs.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Interesting response so far.

I'm also frustrated with what passes for customer service from BA if one is not BAEC elite, but OTOH, as one figures out the system it's workable for an AA elite.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by brp
I'm flying AA because we're 100% on upgrades the past two years and I couldn't give a damn about DEQM promotions, UA giveaways or the myriad other whiny reasons that have come up in the past few months, including this repetitive thread. That's why.
^ I've missed one upgrade in the last 4 years. 29/29 this year.

I'm burning miles for the rest of the year as I don't want to cross 2mm until 2013.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
I'm probably in a minority on this but this just seems like a ridiculous question to me. There are probably a lot of valid reasons why someone may adjust the amount of flying they do on AA but I don't see this being one of them.
+1
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
I think OP just started the thread a bit early as we haven't fully recognized a dilution of EXP benefits
(i.e. EXP complimentary upgrade and eVIP/SWU) yet.

Someone already found some signs of it but it hasn't become our common view as of now.

If eVIP and/or EXP comp upgrades become harder for EXPs, both long-time EXPs and EX-GS/1K will fly less on AA anyway.

We need a little more time to evaluate the actual impact from the status giveaway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.