Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement Fee for Anytime Award booked in the last 24 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P

I booked an Anytime Award last night, and found United has a Saver award. What is the fee for reinstating an AnyTime Award booked within 24 hours? Thank you!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Once ticketed, the redeposit fee is the same whether one's cancellation effort is made <24 hours or out to the validity of the ticket.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
While Alex(TM) may be well-versed in United's policies, she has brushing up to do W/R/T how things are done at American Airlines
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by miamigrad
While Alex(TM) may be well-versed in United's policies, she has brushing up to do W/R/T how things are done at American Airlines
Well, duh! I realized my mistake just before I saw your response.

AA's solution to this issue is to allow you to hold award reservations free of charge for some period of time before ticketing. So, if you're not sure about an award ticket, put it on hold. I think that you'll always get at least 24 hours of hold time, unless the flight departs sooner than that. If you're more than a few days out, you usually get a few days of hold time.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i think the fee is $150 for one & less for the others on the same pnr.....

its detailed on aa.com iirc....
Old Jun 21, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Did I not read somewhere that a law-mandated 24 hr fee free refund policy is to be instituted on all airlines with all types of tickets (much like it was on CO)? Or was I dreaming this?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 4:50 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Did I not read somewhere that a law-mandated 24 hr fee free refund policy is to be instituted on all airlines with all types of tickets (much like it was on CO)? Or was I dreaming this?
You weren't dreaming- you just misread it. It requires either 24 hour refund or 24 hour hold. AA already provides the hold in cases like this.

Cheers.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by brp
You weren't dreaming- you just misread it. It requires either 24 hour refund or 24 hour hold. AA already provides the hold in cases like this.

Cheers.
Thank you.
So, then that means if you did not put it on hold but ticketed it, you have to pay the change/cancelation fee with AA; and, in case of UA, you can cancel it within 24 hrs fee free (but no holds)?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:06 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you.
So, then that means if you did not put it on hold but ticketed it, you have to pay the change/cancelation fee with AA; and, in case of UA, you can cancel it within 24 hrs fee free (but no holds)?
Correct. They just have to offer one or the other. If one doesn't use the hold, it was still available.

Now, for some paid partner flights where Hold is not available, they do have to offer the refund option. Some here have reported having a hard time getting them to do that - most likely because it's unfamiliar to the agents.

Cheers.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do not confuse AAnytime award with a purchased revenue ticket although the inventory is the same. The rules are totally different.

AA let you hold pay ticket reservation for 24 hours unless it is partner flights sold by AA - the latter requires immediate ticketing.

AA let you hold award booking for 5 days unless your travel is immediate. It does not matter whether it is an AA award or award involves partner flights - they all enjoy 5 days hold period.

It does not matter what kind of AA award you booked - the redeposit fee is $150 first ticket and $25 each additional ticket if miles coming out from same account. The fee is waived for EXP if s/he is on the same PNR.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:10 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy

It does not matter what kind of AA award you booked - the redeposit fee is $150 first ticket and $25 each additional ticket if miles coming out from same account. The fee is waived for EXP if s/he is on the same PNR.
Not quite. The fee is waived if the miles came from the EXP account, regardless of whether s/he is on the itinerary.

Cheers.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA LTPlt,DL Silv,SPG Gld,HH Diamond,Mar Silv,IHG Gld
Pick new dates 11+ months fom date of ticketing change of dates is free then hope that there is schedule change significant enough to allow free cancellation or maybe you will have another need for this itinerary
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Basically it breaks down as follows on AA:

If the fare purchased qualified for a 24-Hold (regardless of whether the Hold feature was utilized or if the fare was purchased on the spot), the 24-hour refund policy does not apply. In other words, you could have put it on hold, but you bought it right away, then AA will not give you a refund within 24-hours because you had the option to hold it but chose not to.

Any instant purchase fare that AA sells is entitled to the 24-Hour refund policy because you were not able to put it on hold. Examples of instant purchase fares are those that include partner airlines, or purchases made with promo codes that cannot be placed on hold.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by sukn
Basically it breaks down as follows on AA:

If the fare purchased qualified for a 24-Hold (regardless of whether the Hold feature was utilized or if the fare was purchased on the spot), the 24-hour refund policy does not apply. In other words, you could have put it on hold, but you bought it right away, then AA will not give you a refund within 24-hours because you had the option to hold it but chose not to.

Any instant purchase fare that AA sells is entitled to the 24-Hour refund policy because you were not able to put it on hold. Examples of instant purchase fares are those that include partner airlines, or purchases made with promo codes that cannot be placed on hold.
Got it - thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Per a U.S. Department of Transportation regulation, the minimum required of airlines is this (14 C.F.R. sec. 259.5, printed at 76 Fed. Reg. 23165 (April 25, 2011)):

(a) Adoption of Plan. Each covered carrier shall adopt a Customer Service Plan applicable to its scheduled flights and shall adhere to the plan’s terms.

(b) Contents of Plan. Each Customer Service Plan shall address the following subjects and comply with the minimum standards set forth:

.....(4) Allowing reservations to be held at the quoted fare without payment, or cancelled without penalty, for at least twenty-four hours after the reservation is made if the reservation is made one week or more prior to a flight's departure
AA's Customer Service Plan (CSP) provides as follows:

When you make a telephone reservation with American Airlines or when you make a reservation via AA.com, the reservation can be held and the fare quoted will be guaranteed for 24 hours or until 11:59 p.m. Central Time the following day, whichever allows you more time to purchase your ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary within this timeframe, the ticket price may change and once payment is received, normal refund policies apply to the ticket.
Note that AA's CSP does not necessarily allow a booking to be canceled without penalty within 24 hours after payment has been made. Whether the cancellation can be done without penalty depends on the refund policies applicable to the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.