Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daytime BOS-LHR going for the Winter 2012

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Daytime BOS-LHR going for the Winter 2012

And I suspect maybe forever.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Not terribly surprising I have taken AA 155 before but have no plans to take AA BOS-LHR on 757s. Not sure why AA even bothers with this route with pathetic 757s. The real question should be where is the slot pair going? BA has much better service on this route (all routes) than AA.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UncleDude
And I suspect maybe forever.
What causes you to suspect it's permanently cancelled? Is it not a popular flight?
Old May 31, 2012, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by FWAAA
What causes you to suspect it's permanently cancelled? Is it not a popular flight?
Not overly. My handful of morning jaunts through BOS didn't show it as well patronized. With a BA service within an hour of it on a 777, I think most people would opt for that.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
BA has much better service on this route (all routes) than AA.
For what it's worth (maybe not much?), there are routes where AA offer more service than BA. But not many.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Not sure why AA even bothers with this route with pathetic 757s.
The daytime BOS-LHR flights in J on the 75Ls are my favorite flights in the entire AA network. I find the 75L J seats to be the best J seats in the AA fleet, and the J crews on this route to be the best crews, comparable only in their quality and consistency to the crew on HNL routes. As BOS-LHR makes up the majority of my travel each year, I'm really happy that AA "bothers" with this route and I'll be very sorry to see the daytime flights go.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Standard FT procedure. Whenever a flight disappears on the calendar for months when AA typically suspends flights seasonally, the automatic assumption is that the flight is gone forever. Occasionally it is, but the assumption that it is a permanent cancellation rather than a seasonal suspension is pretty universal.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
The daytime BOS-LHR flights in J on the 75Ls are my favorite flights in the entire AA network. I find the 75L J seats to be the best J seats in the AA fleet, and the J crews on this route to be the best crews, comparable only in their quality and consistency to the crew on HNL routes. As BOS-LHR makes up the majority of my travel each year, I'm really happy that AA "bothers" with this route and I'll be very sorry to see the daytime flights go.
I 100% agree.

I take this flight once a month, and LOVE LOVE LOVE J on this route. Cabin crew is great, service is great, and it usually is only at 50-60% full in J. Feels like a private jet at that point...almost better than CX F - just kidding!

Can someone add more detail as to what was actually found? What dates and flights do not show up for the BOS-LHR route?
Old May 31, 2012, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not terribly surprising I have taken AA 155 before but have no plans to take AA BOS-LHR on 757s. Not sure why AA even bothers with this route with pathetic 757s. The real question should be where is the slot pair going? BA has much better service on this route (all routes) than AA.
Presumably because AA and BA have agreed that the 75L is the right airplane for that departure time. As a joint venture, AA and BA operate their TATL flights as if they were one airline, sharing profits (or losses). If the joint venture management decided that an AA 777 morning flight made the most business sense, that's probably what you'd see on the schedule.

Where's the slot going? If I had to guess, I'd say south for the winter - perhaps MIA?
Old May 31, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Not surprising with how poorly the European economy is doing and with the need to shrink capacity to Europe it is no surprise to see the daytime flight go. I am kinda surprise ORD-LHR hasn't been cut but then again there is more Connecting traffic to that flight on the ORD side.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber

Where's the slot going? If I had to guess, I'd say south for the winter - perhaps MIA?
It's likely that the slot value is worth more in revenue to AA if sold, than a 50% [Inc Upgrades] Premium Traffic Load on a 75L into LHR.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
I am kinda surprise ORD-LHR hasn't been cut but then again there is more Connecting traffic to that flight on the ORD side.
My favourite way back to London from Seattle is the redeye to Chicago and AA90 onward to London. And at times it can be a tough upgrade!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: AA, SQ
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
It's a bit like flying in a biz cabin in the upper deck of a 747 albeit with NARROW aisle. The NGBC seats in the 757 are excellent and so is the entertainment system.

I also thought the crew was rather friendly and familiar with the pax. While I got an upgrade into biz (unbelievable with only so few seats), I felt that many of the passengers were regular fare paying biz class travellers since the attendants seemed to know them well

Many people prefer the red-eye but the day flights allow me to be quite productive...3-5 hours of work

While BA's club world seats are decent, I find the opaque divider+back facing setup a little awkward.. socially...
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Sad here... I prefer the day flight and have used it for years... though I hate 757s.

Originally Posted by Fenway1912
It's a bit like flying in a biz cabin in the upper deck of a 747 albeit with NARROW aisle. The NGBC seats in the 757 are excellent and so is the entertainment system.
I guess the days of coach upstairs on BA's 747s LHR>BOS are probably long gone? I stopped flying that flight many years ago when AA started the LHR route and so stopped giving miles for it. (They do give miles for it now, again, I think?)

I had a number of trips in the front row upstairs for the low price of my coach ticket. Those were great flights.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
They give miles again even for discount economy fare class flights -- now in BA's program and AA's program (your choice), while previously the mileage earning on such fares on such flight was just for BA's program.

Originally Posted by Microwave
My favourite way back to London from Seattle is the redeye to Chicago and AA90 onward to London. And at times it can be a tough upgrade!
The AA 767s used on the daytime ORD-LHR flight remind me of 1980s PanAm in economy class in terms of "type" of video entertainment. Ending up there is no fun, although I can see why SEA-ORD-LHR of that sort may be preferable still.

.... the daytime ORD-LHR flight happens to sometimes come into LHR at times where the passport control handling times for non-EU/EEA/EEC citizens in economy class can be some of the worse to be experienced at LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.