Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beverage Availability, Etc. on Int'l Coach flt.

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2012, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Beverage Availability, Etc. on Int'l Coach flt.

I have flown long flights to China and Italy but they were on Al Italia and China Air.
This will be my first on a 9+ hour flight to Italy on AA. Do they have a place where you can get beverages for yourself whenever you want them or do you have to ask the flight attendant every time you want a drink?
Is there anything else I should know about all those hours in coach, albeit exit row seats? Do they show more than one movie?
Old May 25, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
AA does not have self-service bars yet, but when they do on the new 773's, it will only be for premium cabins. You'll have to locate a FA and ask, which just finding one willing and able can be a challenge on night flights in Y.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
If you want lots of (non-alcoholic) drinks, I highly recommend that you bring them on yourself. I always take two-three water bottles on a long flight with me, in addition to what I get served.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ontheway
Do they show more than one movie?
Usually, yes, they show more than one movie plus some TV shows.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
In addition to bringing on my own water, I bring along snacks of various sorts, my own eye shades and whatever 'amenities' I might want during the flight and a shawl or something to use as a blanket.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Some FAs will proactively do a water service througout the flight but its not something I would count on 100% of the time. However, you should not be refused beverage service if you ask (well unless maybe you are pounding down booze.)
Old May 25, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA PPro, Hilton Gold, Lindy Award Winner (2013)
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
However, you should not be refused beverage service if you ask (well unless maybe you are pounding down booze.)
I prefer to use the term "continuously enjoying adult beverages"

Old May 25, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I always bring extra water bottles on board to supplement whatever I am served by the FAs. Unfortunately, there are some overseas stations that do not allow liquids acquired airside to be brought on board, and local contract security personnel conduct 100% bag searches on the jet bridge to ensure compliance....SCL and DEL come to mind. In these cases, you are totally at the mercy of the FAs.

Last edited by ESpen36; May 25, 2012 at 12:43 pm
Old May 25, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
In my limited experience they have a wide selection of small wine bottles of varying quality. If you get a particularly nice/unrushed FA you might get a chance to make an actual choice rather than just say white or red.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA
In my experience, on 777 going to South America, the FAs setup pre-poured plastic glasses of water and OJ in the aft galley. So you can get up, stretch your legs, walk to the back, get some water, hit the lav, and then squeeze yourself back into your seat.
Old May 25, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT
It's a crapshoot but you can always try bringing your own alcohol on board. Some liquor stores sell the airline sized bottles.

- yes it's technically not allowed
- yes sometimes they get confiscated at security
- no you shouldn't indiscriminately pound booze, especially while waiting at the gate

Just don't allow any FA's to see you pouring your own beverages.
Old May 25, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by toast24
It's a crapshoot but you can always try bringing your own alcohol on board. Some liquor stores sell the airline sized bottles.

- yes sometimes they get confiscated at security
- no you shouldn't indiscriminately pound booze, especially while waiting at the gate

Just don't allow any FA's to see you pouring your own beverages.
Why go out of your way to violate federal law when they liberally distribute free wine and beer in flight?

Out of curiosity, what's the typical price range for various minis?
Old May 25, 2012, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by toast24

Is that the same as technically I am not allowed to burgle houses but is ok unless I get caught?
Old May 25, 2012, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Why go out of your way to violate federal law when they liberally distribute free wine and beer in flight?
The discussion was predicated on the notion of someone sitting in coach and the difficulty of getting beverages on an overnight flight.

As to violating federal law, I have seen this happen dozens of times, or more.

I'm not addressing the morality of it whatsoever. Nor am I stating that I do it (I don't).

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Out of curiosity, what's the typical price range for various minis?
$1.50 - $2.00
Old May 25, 2012, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Is that the same as technically I am not allowed to burgle houses but is ok unless I get caught?
If you want to talk ethics, perhaps a completely separate forum should be opened for that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.