Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2012: Why are AA fares so expensive / non-competitive (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:56 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium

In line with past years, we've created a master thread to allow members to discuss/speculate/rant/vent why certain AA routes are so expensive compared to last year or are expensive compared to competitors.

Speculate/rant away folks!

/Moderator

Last edited by JY1024; May 1, 2012 at 9:48 am
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Frustrated with AA ticket prices

Traveling dfw-lga/ewr (doesnt matter which one). Week of may 14th. Flexible with dates.

If I book a three night stay the flights are $366. Two nights or less and it's $1066. AA can price flights how they like, but seriously this makes no sense to me.

I searched every day departing Friday the 7th to Wednesday the 12th returning four days after the departure and in each instance plenty of flights at $366rt. Anytime i dropped below three night stay, the fare increased to $1066. So it's not a case that one particular day is nearly sold out.

Expert flyer shows at lest 7 seats for sale (I won't mention seat map) on most every flight on most every day that week.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What are the competitors' prices with equivalent service (non-stop, etc.)?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:36 am

Well. Last I saw, united was about $766. Spirit airlines was about $408.

Company goes with lowest fare.

I can just imaging what the Flight attendants must do onboard spirit airlines. "We've got spirit yes we do! We'be got spirit how about you!".
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by envgeo
Well. Last I saw, united was about $766. Spirit airlines was about $408.

Company goes with lowest fare.
When picking the lowest fare, I hope you're allowed to factor in the $400 in "optional" fees that Spirit piles on for equivalent service.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:41 am

Science Goy. - I hope I can make that argument successfully. I will try!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Your company should not find this unusual. For those of us who traveled before 9/11, these types of fare differences were the norm. In fact, unless you were staying over a Saturday night, the fare would be $1000+. In 1998, I flew from CMH-MSP r/t during the week and paid $800 (for a 1.5 hour flight).
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
While DFW-LGA has been long discussed given AA's monopoly and you're right, they can charge whatever they think they can get, I have noticed a definite increase in AA's prices.

For the last three years, I've gone NYC-MIA once a month on weekends and could usually get $225ish fares with a little bit of planning. Now, nothing below $275 and more frequently $350-$450. I'm sure a result of reduced capacity and the like, and good for AA if they can keep their planes full at those prices, but certainly a change.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
Okay, since you have an expertflyer account you should know to look at the fare rules for valid travel right now to NYC....

The cheapest fare basis code is: SD10EQM1 $310.

The cheapest fare basis code with no minimum stay requirements: KA00ERM5 $918.

MINIMUM STAY

WHEN DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN IS SUN THROUGH WED THEN TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 3 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.

OR - WHEN DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN IS THU THROUGH FRI
THEN TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO
EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SAT AFTER DEPARTURE FROM
FARE ORIGIN.
OR - WHEN DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN IS SAT THEN TRAVEL
FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN
THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.

However, if you want my advice I would fly into HPN. As you can fly there for as cheap as $282 roundtrip and could do a 1 day stay if desired.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Science Goy
When picking the lowest fare, I hope you're allowed to factor in the $400 in "optional" fees that Spirit piles on for equivalent service.
+1

As mentioned, DFW-LGA is an expensive route, and airfares are going up for domestic econ tickets all over the board so far this year.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What are the competitors' prices with equivalent service (non-stop, etc.)?
For two nights leaving on 14 or 15 or 16 May on a nonstop, DL has the exact same price as AA (which is $1,041--OP must get prices with an embedded $25 travel agency fee), while UA is slightly higher at $1,051.

For Spirit, it's impossible for me to know what the total cost will be (who can keep up with their fees?)

The lack of a real value carrier (WN, B6, VX) can obviously be felt.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Just some options in case you haven't considered them... If your company would force you to fly Spirit, you may be SOL, because $400 is hard to beat, even with luggage fees, etc. But to get under $700 (for the next competitor) is fairly easy:

1. Plenty of MilesSaaver availability for your dates... Buy 20k AA miles for $550 and get a 30% bonus with the current promotion. Or start a new BA account and buy 20k Avios for $575. Would the company reimburse you for either of those?

2. You might consider trying to book hotel + flight package through AAVacations.com. Sometimes they can get lower fare buckets because they are not as strict about advance purchase or minimum stay requirements for a package.

3. One-way trips are $360 if you can handle a stop in ORD. Buy two one-ways.

4. If your dates are so flexible, why not spend an extra night in NYC? Fly out late one evening and depart early on the third day. If the extra hotel night is cheaper than the flights (quite likely, since you can book/priceline/hotwire an airport hotel for one or two of the nights) then your company should be happy with it.

5. I see lots of one-stop US Air flights for around $400 for a 2-night stay. You could get a head start on the merger...
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:38 pm

If you really are that flexible with dates, Delta has DFW-LGA at $331 leaving on May 12 and returning on May 14.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Supply / demand, monopoly -- what else can I say?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Supply / demand, monopoly -- what else can I say?
You could just have left it at "monopoly," since and demand are irrelevant in monopolistic situations.

Ah, the joys of unregulated, piratical capitalism!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.