Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
I am sure plenty of changes were made for the explorer awards in case of involuntary disruption.

But for voluntary changes in advance of travel, the rules are strict and it is virtually impossible to make routing changes. If your award is wholly unused and availability exists on all segments, you should just cancel and rebook the whole award.
Yes. Thanks. As written in the OP, "change the routing after the trip has started? " is our current situation.

Of course we're talking about an exception to the exception of an exception and one very special AAgent.

But.. still..

So... In the history of the world, the routing has been changed for "emergencies"?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by zznoname
Yes. Thanks. As written in the OP, "change the routing after the trip has started? " is our current situation.

Of course we're talking about an exception to the exception of an exception and one very special AAgent.

But.. still..

So... In the history of the world, the routing has been changed for "emergencies"?
Of course. Routing can be changed if you show up to the airport and the airline canceled the flight. At that point, they need to get you to the next stopover, and it doesn't matter if the original routing is in NRT, HKG or some other place. They will rebook you on a viable routing to get you to your destination.

But if you are talking about voluntary changes in advance, that is not going to be possible. AA plays very strictly by the rules, and if you somehow managed to get an agent to make the change for you, you can expect that the ticketing desk will reject it.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
Of course. Routing can be changed if you show up to the airport and the airline canceled the flight. At that point, they need to get you to the next stopover, and it doesn't matter if the original routing is in NRT, HKG or some other place. They will rebook you on a viable routing to get you to your destination.

But if you are talking about voluntary changes in advance, that is not going to be possible. AA plays very strictly by the rules, and if you somehow managed to get an agent to make the change for you, you can expect that the ticketing desk will reject it.
Thanks. Still hoping for one example in our favor. But then, who'll want to reveal that type of information to the masses?

I think the operative word I'm looking for here is massive "manual override."
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Allowed by whom? AA? CX?
AA

(based on two instances, it seems that they are treating Dragon and Cathy as same airline)

You are right about other comment.
Actual booking of the ticket did not take much time (except when tickiting desk was too busy to approve final rouuting and reservation hold expired in the mean time). Searching for seat availibility using various engines (JAL, Quantas, BA) several times a day for various possible roiting permutations did take many many hours over 3-4 weeks.

Last edited by desi; Jul 18, 2013 at 11:30 am
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Has anyone recently booked a J award, but booked it with a leg in Y due to lack of availability, but planning to change the dates to a later date where there is award availability in J? I can't find any recent references, but the OP of this newer thread has a 7-year old post saying this is possible. I just want to get the award booked now, before availability on the other legs potentially disappears.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Has anyone recently booked a J award, but booked it with a leg in Y due to lack of availability, but planning to change the dates to a later date where there is award availability in J? I can't find any recent references, but the OP of this newer thread has a 7-year old post saying this is possible. I just want to get the award booked now, before availability on the other legs potentially disappears.
I'm not sure what you are asking exactly, but I'll give it a go:
I currently have an open Explorer where I booked one flight in Y and then switched it to J when it became available (which it thankfully did). I also have another segment of that Explorer currently booked in J on a day that I would prefer not to fly, hoping that inventory will open up the day that I do actually want to fly.
Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by badgersfly
I'm not sure what you are asking exactly, but I'll give it a go:
I currently have an open Explorer where I booked one flight in Y and then switched it to J when it became available (which it thankfully did). I also have another segment of that Explorer currently booked in J on a day that I would prefer not to fly, hoping that inventory will open up the day that I do actually want to fly.
Thanks
I meant the first, though I guess I want to do a combo of the two. Of course (since Y availability on this particular route is far better than J), I can always switch dates first, then switch class of service. I know date switching is no issue (as long as within 365 days of ticketing date). Thanks for the confirmation, just wanted to confirm as the leg I want to book in J that is currently only in Y is very, very long .
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:04 pm

Will AA allow me to hold ticket if I don't have sufficient miles in my account? I'm short of 30k miles, I initiated a transfer few days ago from SPG->AA and based on my experience, it should be(no guarantees, of course) transferred to my AA account before the 5 day hold expires.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfducati
Will AA allow me to hold ticket if I don't have sufficient miles in my account? I'm short of 30k miles, I initiated a transfer few days ago from SPG->AA and based on my experience, it should be(no guarantees, of course) transferred to my AA account before the 5 day hold expires.
Yes they will allow you to hold. Some people need to buy miles for a ticket, easy enough to explain that way (I want to know I can get the award before I pay money). Or, in your case, transfer SPG to AA.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Yes they will allow you to hold. Some people need to buy miles for a ticket, easy enough to explain that way (I want to know I can get the award before I pay money). Or, in your case, transfer SPG to AA.
That's great^ , thank you! I will post my itinerary/routing as soon as it is ticketed.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:04 pm

stopover - connection revisited again

Any recent experince for anyone where stopover of more than 24 hours was allowed to be modified into a connection (after ticketing or even after trip has started)?

(was told by friend yesterday that he was allowed to cut three day stay in BKK in 3 hour connection which surprised me)
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:08 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by desi
Any recent experince for anyone where stopover of more than 24 hours was allowed to be modified into a connection (after ticketing or even after trip has started)?

(was told by friend yesterday that he was allowed to cut three day stay in BKK in 3 hour connection which surprised me)
There is a maximum duration for a connection, but there is no minimum duration for a stopover.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:03 pm
Suspended

That is incorrect. This is why a person can have 2 connections plus 1 stopover in a particular place, not 3 connections.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:28 pm

That is incorrect. This is why a person can have 2 connections plus 1 stopover in a particular place, not 3 connections.
You are of course correct.

However, when there is one and only one transit through a city anbd taxes related to stopover are already paid, AA seems allows pax to change stopover into connection (but not vice versa). However, we need to collect enough actual evidence from other FTer (either confirminvg its allowance or disallowance and then update the first post sticky accordingly).
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:47 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

If someone already has the maximum number of connections allowed, then such a change could violate a different rule. However, it would not be a connection vs. stopover issue.

Originally Posted by desi
However, when there is one and only one transit through a city anbd taxes related to stopover are already paid, AA seems allows pax to change stopover into connection (but not vice versa).
That is correct -- a stopover designation on a ticket permits (but does not require) a stopover, while a connection does not allow a stopover (as it has a maximum).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.