Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Flight attendant causes disturbance and is removed aboard AA 2332 9 Mar 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight attendant causes disturbance and is removed aboard AA 2332 9 Mar 2012

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Rock72
Anyway, seems like the rules regarding cell phone use should be a little more consistent.
I suspect it's because the rules for BA are determined by the CAA not the FAA, and probably other jurisdictions haven't different rules again. Who is to say the US rules are correct? Or even that they don't take unnecessary risks?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:14 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by hillrider
Observation: since flight attendants are there "primarily for safety", as the grating announcement reminds us every time we step on an AA plane, why aren't they screened for mental illness and psychological disorders as pilots, nuclear plant operators, etc. are?
This is an excellent point. Given the unique nature of pilot and FA positions, my personal opinion is that they should be screened annually for any signs of mental illness. Employees who need treatment would be encouraged to receive it (I am not saying it should be mandatory).

This whole situation is so sad - am just hoping something positive can come out of it.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if things have changed
I suggest listening to the crew's announcements. It would have prevented the episode on BA you recount.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Discussions of media turgidity and luridness and so-called actresses should not be carried out in this thread. Thanks! /Moderator
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Given the unique nature of pilot and FA positions, my personal opinion is that they should be screened annually for any signs of mental illness.
Paid for by AA? I'm guessing that could run into the tens of millions of dollars a year. Without an FAA mandate I can't see AA, or any other airline for that matter, taking the lead here and sending employees off for yearly psychological evaluations. A secondary issue would be whether the unions would need to sign off on it.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:11 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by tom911
Paid for by AA? I'm guessing that could run into the tens of millions of dollars a year. Without an FAA mandate I can't see AA, or any other airline for that matter, taking the lead here and sending employees off for yearly psychological evaluations. A secondary issue would be whether the unions would need to sign off on it.
Both good points - I acknowledge this. I don't know that this would cost tens of millions a year - although it would be expensive.

I don't know what the answer is - but I am quite concerned about the whole thing.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
You'd probably also be trampling on some constitutional rights by that sort of requirement. Psychological evaluations are pretty damn subjective vs drug tests (or other testing.)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Drug tests are mandated in the USA, UK and other places. In the USA, Executive Order 12564 - Drug-Free Federal Workplace, 1986, the Mandatory Guidelines for Federal Workplace Drug Testing Programs (Section 503 of Public Law 100-71) and the Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act of 1991, as encompassed in 49 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 40, requires drug testing safety-sensitive transportation employees in aviation, trucking, railroads, mass transit, pipelines, and other transportation industries.

Blanket, pre-employment, periodic, reasonable suspicion-based and random psychiatric testing for many transportation personnel, including FAs, is not AFAIK required and could well be found to contravene the Fourth or Fifth (and as made applicable to the States by the Fourteenth) Amendments of the U S Constitution. These would also likely be a negotiable point in a union contract.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
the cost of bad publicity

You would just need to factor in the cost. And there would be no guarantee.

http://www.ereleases.com/prfuel/true...bad-publicity/
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I don't know what the answer is - but I am quite concerned about the whole thing.
If it were something to be concerned about, this incident wouldn't have made the news. The only reason it did is because it's something that occurs literally once in a million (or millions of) flights.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
I am not sure if this is still the case but a few years ago I was on a British Airways flight coming back from London and as usual, I did the same thing as soon as the plane landed at LAX. I even called my wife to tell her that she just touched down (so that she could leave the house to come pick me up).

I was severely reprimanded by the flight attendant for turning on my phone. She told he pilot and he got really pissy and even made an announcement over the PA system along the lines of "I've been notified that a passenger has turned on his cell phone. I would like to remind all passengers that cell phone use is prohibited until we reach the gate..."

I was sitting upstairs in business class.

Anyway, seems like the rules regarding cell phone use should be a little more consistent.

I don't know if things have changed because since then I have always flown American and haven't had any other major issues.
I flew BA back in November, and on several legs they announced that we could not use cell phones until we reached the gate. I won't speculate as to why they are different, but it sure made me appreciate AA a little more - I get through a lot of emails while taxiing.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
I see some of the DFW-area media outlets have mentioned the F/A's name, age, and/or city of residence, all apparently non-redacted in the DFW police report just released. Exactly why someone felt this info fell into "the public's need to know" category is beyond me, and it is only likely to be less than "helpful" with respect to the recovery of the F/A involved.
thats pretty much how its done when one is arrested unless you are a minor

When others go off the deep end and do something that gets them busted, their names are in the paper, this lady should be no different
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Drug tests are mandated in the USA, UK and other places.
Quite true, but....

In 2000, the EEOC sued American Airlines saying questioning by the airline's medical department during an employee drug test revealed that the applicant was being treated for a mental disability. Such questioning is improper, the EEOC said. The suit sought back wages and damages for the applicant, as well as others who may allege that they suffered similar bias.

EEOC Sues American Airlines for Job Bias
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by corporateslave
I had the same reaction. LOL
Old Dec 25, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Quite true, but....

In 2000, the EEOC sued American Airlines saying questioning by the airline's medical department during an employee drug test revealed that the applicant was being treated for a mental disability. Such questioning is improper, the EEOC said. The suit sought back wages and damages for the applicant, as well as others who may allege that they suffered similar bias.

EEOC Sues American Airlines for Job Bias
What was the result of the lawsuit?

Last edited by mvoight; Dec 25, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.