Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA950 flying germ warfare lab. My worst nightmare.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by Science Goy
I'd say the conditions for "acceptance of passengers" could be construed as rules. If a passenger showed up falling-down drunk for their flight (and was refused boarding by the same quoted section), few would argue that that passenger was in compliance with the CoC.
Except... 6(a) speaks to appearing to be intoxicated
6(c) says "Have a communicable disease that has been determined by a federal public health authority to be transmissible to other persons in the normal course of flight,"

Seems like slightly different criteria. And in any event - the section speaks to AA's rights to refuse to accept the passenger. I still do not see where there is a prohibition in the CoC for the PAX to try. And perhaps the PAX needs to try. With expensive INTL tix, as others have pointed out, AA is often not too understanding about you wanting to change your flight for illness. But if they refuse you, I suspect they are liable to rebook you when the condition is lifted. I say suspect, because of (2) which referred to weather or other conditions - and they do routinely re-accommodate for that...
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by glx
I've never felt so awkward reading a post in my life. Wow, OP - so because the guy was obviously sick he was clearly WORSE than most people who are in their highest contagion period BEFORE they show symptoms?

<redacted>
+1 ^^^

--J

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 27, 2012 at 10:07 pm Reason: deleted excessively personal comment
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
First no hot towels, next you'll tell me to stop licking the arm rest when I first sit down.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
My worst flight nightmare is...

Being stuck on the tarmac penalty box for 3+ hours with the engines shut down waiting for the thunderstorms overhead to clear while sitting in the back of the plane between two sweaty morbidly obese people who haven't showered in days.

Makes germs in J sound downright pleasant.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:59 pm

The flight attendant did not respond well

I think the flight attendant should have went to the captain and told him the situation and then have medics board the flight to make sure this passenger was suitable to fly. If I was the captain I would have headed back to the gate in err of caution.

If the passenger was deemed fit to fly I would have found a crew rest area away from other passengers just in case there was doubt of him being contagious.

You did well by washing your hands using purell(Which I do) and your CPAP machine and by contacting your Dr.

I would write AA your story and see if they will give you something since you could really not enjoy the experience.

I am sure AA knew of your medical condition. If you were more persistent with the Flight attendant about how this passenger could have a strain of the flu that may be different from America or had another sickness that could be worse.

If I was so sick I would not want to fly.

In fact I have my yearly flu shot for cases like this and I feel it has cut my colds down to 1-2 a year(not severe). I also have my H1N1 vaccine, Hephaestus A/B and Meningitis .
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:02 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
And the humor keeps rolling on.

I liked the part about "write AA your story" and see if they will give you something. Classic

The "strain of flu that is different from America" part is amusing as well.

I'm glad to see people injecting humor

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Feb 27, 2012 at 9:19 pm
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Hilton Gold, Lindy Award Winner (2013)
Unreal...

I rushed home from work, ate quickly, and ran to my office to keep track of this dilemma.

Now I feel sick and feel that AA should reimburse me in some fashion since they should have stopped this from ever happening.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by danielonn
I think the flight attendant should have went to the captain and told him the situation and then have medics board the flight to make sure this passenger was suitable to fly. If I was the captain I would have headed back to the gate in err of caution.
in err of caution, I expect the pilot order everyone on board be quarantined for a month.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:28 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by phil_flyer
... I'm a germaphobe to begin with
This does explain a great deal
-- but I think anyone would be concerned here. ...
by the responses above, clearly not.

In reality, by taking Tamiflu without being sick, you probably increased the chances of getting flu more than by seating next to him for the whole flight.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:35 pm

This post just reminded me of the lawyer guy who flew into the US from his overseas honeymoon knowing full well that he was carrying active resistant strain of TB just because he didn't want to cough up the extra dough for a private chartered plane.

I'm sure the passengers around him in the flight were indeed pleased to learn about the incident.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
As to the zombie walker who considerately chose to take his flight while suffering the symptoms of plague, a pox upon you sir. You didn't succeed in infecting me, but I'm sure you got a few people on that flight. And it's not only inconsiderate or downright rude, it's a life-threatening disease to some. So next time, stay home and skip the trip.
Not everyone has the choice of staying home, if you get sick on the road.

I picked up a nasty flu while in Hong Kong in late 2007. Hospitalization there would have been excessive as a healthy young adult with a moderate fever and it was not serious enough for my travel medical insurance to get invoked; without using travel insurance, the out of pocket cost (hotel and airline change fee) to stay a couple more days to let it run its course would have been excessive.

As for me, I've learned my lesson. Two isolation facemasks are now added to my travel kit. They don't pack much bulk and just might save me next time.
Good idea. A basic dust or surgical mask helps; if you can stand wearing one that long, an N95 respirator is better.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:54 pm

This is exactly what travel insurance is for.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:56 pm

Saw "Shawn of the Dead" last night - good timing for your post. What a great thread.

The PAX seated next to me appeared to be somewhere between Contagion and Night of the Living Dead. He's an obvious flu case: ill-looking, ague, coughing, sweaty, febrile. The guy looks like hell.
It doesn't help I'm a germaphobe to begin with -- but I think anyone would be concerned here.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This is about a flight on AA, and the OP. Mostly, it has been on topic, with some tongue in cheek, humor, etc. Excessively personal comments with ad hominem and attacks on the OP have been deleted, will continue to be deleted, and when egregiously offensive may also lead to catching some FT disciplinary disease leading to temporary absences.

Thanks for keeping it respectful... /Moderator
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:13 pm
Suspended

AA 950 from GRU-JFK two weeks ago. Seated in 8H. For those unfamiliar with the 777 layout, the 8H/J pair of seats surrounded on three sides by obstructions: wall of the aircraft to the right, bulkhead in front, and closet to the left (across the aisle). So I like the seats in that they are a bit isolated and the galley/lav noise has never been an issue.

Except on this flight last week. The PAX seated next to me appeared to be somewhere between Contagion and Night of the Living Dead. He's an obvious flu case: ill-looking, ague, coughing, sweaty, febrile. The guy looks like hell.

Now this is my worst nightmare. Crammed into a metal cigar tube, hemmed in on three sides by structure, and 18" away from a living virus factory. It doesn't help I'm a germaphobe to begin with -- but I think anyone would be concerned here. I took a flu shot, but I know the immunity is limited and who knows if this is some Brazilian strain not covered in that year's vaccine as always seems to happen.

Ring FA call button. FA comes over. I talk to her a few feet away. I need to change seats. FA informs me J and F are full and she doesn't even think there's anything in Y. I said ask a Y PAX if they want to trade for a J seat. She refuses. I want to go back myself and start asking people to trade but we're now pushing back and I'm shooed into my seat. So I'm stuck.

And the coughing - sweating - germ spreading guy next to me kicks back and passes out. I take out my lysol wipes. Swab down everything in sight. Station the Purell on my armrest. Sit there, terrified. Don't eat anything for fear of airborne virus particles getting in the food. Don't drink out of glasses for the same reason. The only thing I can manage to do is sip water furtively out of my issued bottle, quickly capping and uncapping it.

One lucky break though. I'm a CPAP user, and use it on overnight flights. (FYI, a CPAP is a cantaloupe-sized device that delivers pressurized air to me through a hose/mask while I sleep to help keep my airways open.) I'm able to put the CPAP machine all the way behind me since it has a six foot hose, closest to the (hopefully) less germ laden air in the cabin. The CPAP also (thankfully) has a HEPA filter, so hopefully it's pulling out all the bad germs. So with CPAP on, and a blanket over my head, I spend most of the flight cowered under cover and breathing remotely.

Long story short, got to NY. Immediately called my doctor's after hours number and got a Tamiflu prescription. Took that and some extra C and D vitamins and I seem to be OK.

As to the zombie walker who considerately chose to take his flight while suffering the symptoms of plague, a pox upon you sir. You didn't succeed in infecting me, but I'm sure you got a few people on that flight. And it's not only inconsiderate or downright rude, it's a life-threatening disease to some. So next time, stay home and skip the trip.

As for me, I've learned my lesson. Two isolation facemasks are now added to my travel kit. They don't pack much bulk and just might save me next time.
Wow. This was funny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.