Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Our" magic111 has passed away... 21 Feb 2012

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:33 pm

Very sorry for your loss.
I am sure he is up in the skies where he is happiest.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
"May the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, be with you now, and forevermore."

As an Episcopal acolyte in my teens, later on in divinity school in my 20's, and later, away from the church, I have always found these simple words, used by the priest at the end to the Eucharistic Service, and the Burial of the Dead, (which comes from Paul's Letter to the Philippians 4:7) to be of great comfort.

As I get older, and become an even more frequent and unwilling participant in truly final goodbyes, I hope these simple words, which have both comforted and moved me, starting as a teenager, into my adulthood, will also now give Jim, his family, and all those in the FT community, peace.

Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Dallas49er; Feb 24, 2012 at 10:38 am
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
The ultimate milage run - forever in the sky. RIP
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
Thank you for your magic on our Board. My condolences to your family for their loss.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Many thanks for your appreciated contributions to the FT world. RIP.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
RIP
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
I met Jim first at SEAdo in 2001 when I was a brash 17 yr old who hung out on FT. Jim was kind enough to give me a ride from where dinner was to the red lion I was staying at then over to Seatac for the 0100 red-eye to MSP. Magic will be missed RIP..
Cheers
Howie
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I too am sorry I never met him. In my early FT days, some of my posts were slightly unsightly and when he moderated me, he did it in style, class and elegance, never with power, arrogance and threats.

His style and class will be surely missed
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
This is such an horrible event, i actually feel really sad for Jim's loss. I wanted to share some words with him, very recently he quoted me in a generous manner that we learn all the time. It was a welcomed detail his words of companionship and support among fellow members. I quoted him back, sharing my thoughts and thanking him for his dedication. I was looking forward to read more of him. My condolences to his family.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
I'm very sad to read this. I had the pleasure of meeting Jim at JFK for the inaugural JFK-BUD flight last April. I had posted that I was on the flight and he sent me a PM inviting me to the FL. I graciously declined since I was traveling with my wife and I know the rules are 1 guest but he said it wouldn't be a problem. On the day of the inaugural, I met him and I got to visit the "other side" of the sliding door. We talked about miles, FT and travel. He showed us his passport which had the extra pages added because there were so many visa stamps. We then went down to the gate area and enjoyed the festivities. After dinner was served on the flight, he came to the rear of the J cabin to talk about the meal and to suggest what movie to watch next. We parted ways after clearing customs and immigration. He will be missed. RIP.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
I'm so sorry to hear this news. I met Jim on a run in January, and proudly carry the yellow tag he gave me.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Very sad news. Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
very sad news

This is very sad indeed. Jim was one of the first FT'ers I met and he was always ready with a warm smile and great story. I'm glad I got to see him, albeit very briefly, in London last month and send my condolences to his family and friends.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Condolences and prayers to Jim's family and friends. Met him at several Bay Area FT events. Always was a friendly and engaging member. Loved his stories about his family and how he became engaged as a soccer ref. Such a sad loss for everyone.

Will truly miss you Jim.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Jim and I both came to AA about the same time--he from NW and me from UA. Over the years I've probably traveled more with him than any other FTer, including those $400 winter fares to DUB and FRA that a lot of us jumped on, FT events in London, New York City, Australia and Singapore, and more mileage runs to the east coast than either of us wanted to keep track of.

Two weekends back we flew to DCA for 3 nights, and in typical AA fashion our SFO-JFK flight to start off was cancelled, so we ended up on different routings to get there. On the return flight via JFK, I was back in 6J on a 767-300 and Jim asked the passenger next to me to swap seats so we could sit together for the long haul flight home. After arrival at SFO we took the shuttle down to Burlingame Airport Parking (next to the Hilton), and both headed home. That's the last time I saw Jim.

This year he decided mileage runs weren't for him, so was going to reduce those and try to do more destination travel. Think that's why he was in Tokyo and London just a few weeks ago racking up the miles. I remember corresponding with him from his hotel near Narita.

I'm going to miss Jim. My prayers and thoughts go out to Jerrie and his family. He was fun to travel with, informative as to airline and hotel programs, was one great guy, and will be sorely missed.

Tom in Madrid, Spain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.