Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here's some vintage AA china. From what era is it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Here's some vintage AA china. From what era is it?

Can anyone help me date this? I dug these up at an antiques store in Kalamazoo this past weekend.

http://imgur.com/OFbuS
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
That looks like the "cobalt" pattern.
A thick royal blue band with thin silver metallic bands along both edges of the blue.
The dinner plate also had the eAAgle in the metallic color. The metallic paint did not hold up too well in service.

It was used on long range international services 1983-89.
This was basically DFW-LGW with FRA and ORY being added later. As AA expanded more into Europe and went to 3 class service, this pattern was replaced with the silver-on-white pattern still in use today. That replacement pattern also had a blue variation (which has since been retired) used in Business Class. But the blue bands on that pattern were thinner, most pieces had an upper/outer band and a lower/inner band, and had small silver squares interrupting the blue band. The Cobalt pattern was a single un-interrupted band.

Last edited by steve64; Feb 13, 2012 at 11:41 am Reason: corrected photo link
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I remember it from the mid-1980's. It was a nice service. I was able to pick up some coffee cups some time after that via an antique store in Grapevine TX (not far from DFW).
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Cobalt Blue" by Syracuse only had blue rims, iirc, no silver bands framing the blue rim. This is "Cobalt and Platinum", indeed used in F in the 1980s (some sources say 1983-89; this pattern was produced by Syracuse China, Jackson China and Sterling China, variously. Very pretty!

Here's a full set from eBay seller WorthPoint:

Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JDiver, help please the link is disfunctional. At least for me.

I would be interested in a full service for 2.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some sources for AA china etc. include:

www.eBay.com

www.michaelscollectibles.com or specifically http://www.michaelscollectibles.com/...e/american.htm

http://www.worthpoint.com (example:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...inum-ifc-china)

Tally ho!

(Don't forget to check out Cliff Muskeit's crew uniform museum online - http://uniformfreak.com/

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
JDiver, help please the link is disfunctional. At least for me.

I would be interested in a full service for 2.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: Back to lowly AA Gold (1.8 MM); Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Gee, I was going to say Tang Dynasty. steve64 & JDiver I can't believe your depth of knowledge on this subject. oldpenny16, I agree. It would be kind of a blast to own a full service for two. Out on my deck, some sunny Sunday with a vintage mug of joe. Sounds good.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I have a lot of this stuff. Feel free to PM me if eBay or the dealers mentioned above don't work out.

Note in photo linked by JDiver, the dinner plate is missing. It's about 8.25 inches in diameter (only slightly larger than the plate shown) and is the only piece that has the Eagle logo as shown in my photo.
There is a current eBay auction for this pattern which has some good shots of the dinner plate. Note that some of the bowls are handled (the eBay pic) and some are not (JDiver pic). One piece in the set not in either picture is a small ramekin, looks like it would be for salad dressing or a sauce. The eBay pic shows the small bowl being used as a saucer for the demitasse but I think it's actually a butter pat.

Be sure to read the eBay descriptions. The most common pattern is "American Traveler" which is white with a thin blue stripe. Back in the 80's it was the coach pattern and as coach went from nothing/plain, this pattern went to Business Class.

While I've never personally worked with michaelscollectibles, they've been around for a long time which I take to be a good sign.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's to all for the above information. I found some of the plain blue and white at Replacements.com at stiff prices.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat
And you found it complete with vintage beverage, too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.