Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

When is it a Good Use of a SWU / VIP for Mainland US to Alaska / Hawaii?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.

Now that I am starting to figure out the best uses of these I was wondering what tactic others use for trips to Hawaii or Alaska from the mainland US. Theoretically Exec Plats should have available complimentary upgrades for these flights but I don't know how often that works out in practice.

Based upon my previous experiences trying to use the Stickers for trips to Hawaii and having a poor clearance rate I suspect its usually a good use of your SWUs for these routes if you really want to sit up front. I don't know whether the competition is as high for those First Class seats to Alaska, but it might be at times at least. Your thoughts / experiences?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
the best use of SWU's is an international trip on AA metal...... how about to Madrid, Barcelona, Brussels, Zurich, Paris, London ????
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by jammanxc
the best use of SWU's is an international trip on AA metal...... how about to Madrid, Barcelona, Brussels, Zurich, Paris, London ????
<redacted>

As for the original question, I'm sure some EXPs can comment on their personal success rates on these routes but I've frequently had friends gift me eVips to use on domestic flights (some as short as LGA-MIA) when I want to know I have a confirmed upgrade. If you have the eVips to use, are unlikely to want to use them on longer international trips and want to ensure that you'll get the upgrade (inventory available, of course), then go ahead and use them.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 10, 2012 at 8:29 pm Reason: redacted overpersonalization
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
You can also use $175 + 15,000 miles to/from hawaii, so if you plan on at least 4 long-haul international round-trips, you are better off going that route, and using SWU for int'l upgrades.

If you aren't planning on taking that many international trips, then using SWUs to confirm upgrades in advance on the 763s that AA operates to Hawaii are quite comfortable. And an 8 hour flight from DFW-HNL is longer than a flight from east cost to Londaon.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
whenever it makes sense to you.....look in your travel crystal ball and decide...

often, the bird in hand is better than a maybe....on feb 28/29 use them on any flights rather than them going into the bit bucket...
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:27 am

My opinion is that it's tougher to use complimentary EXP upgrades to Hawaii, just because it's a long enough flight and other folks might decide to burn eVIPs; I did.

I put myself on the waitlist, and it still took me until the day before to clear on my return. It's not the best use, as J in a 777 is much better than F in a 757, but if you're not traveling too much internationally this year, I'd go for it.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
US east coast to Hawaii is farther than many east coast to Europe flights, so I don't understand why it would be a terrible value. DFW/ORD-HNL are good flights to U/G if one doesn't anticipate the free EXP upgrade.

It's not as if AA actually has many ULH flights on their metal to choose from.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
I would say it is definitely worth it. DFW-OGG is almost as long a flight as DFW-LHR.

Although if plan on needing your eVIPs for international, then you are better off buring 15k miles +copay for HI, AK trips.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Unless you have international travel planned, dfw to Hawaii is a good use for EVIPs. I booked my flights to Hawaii around what flights I could use my EVIPs on without being waitlisted. In other words, where I could immediately upgrade. Given the length of the flight, it was a very good use of them
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
<redacted deleted post>

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
As for the original question, I'm sure some EXPs can comment on their personal success rates on these routes but I've frequently had friends gift me eVips to use on domestic flights (some as short as LGA-MIA) when I want to know I have a confirmed upgrade. If you have the eVips to use, are unlikely to want to use them on longer international trips and want to ensure that you'll get the upgrade (inventory available, of course), then go ahead and use them.
I'm 100% for my entire time I've been EXP and this has been a freebie. I did use VIP's once when I had the kids with me and they had no status and I wanted to make sure we were all together... otherwise I avg 2-3 trips per year and via DFW no less (for the 763) and am batting 1.000. I will say, a few have come close to take off though before the u/g came through

<redacted deleted post>

OP asked specifically about tactics domestically, Not the best value.. as has been mentioned.. there are all kinds of threads for valuation

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 10, 2012 at 8:31 pm Reason: redacted deleted post content
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I fly three to five round trips to Hawaii per year. I have never missed a complimentary EXP upgrade. Your clearance rate should be better as an EXP than it was as a Plat or Gold.

If you wanted to use one to/from Hawaii, the best use would be on a Hawaii-DFW 763 in late February. Because so many EXPs are in a use-them-or-lose-them situation, a lot will use them and the complimentary EXP upgrade becomes difficult. Overnight flights are a more difficult upgrade than daytime flights.

The worst use would be on a LAX-Hawaii 757 in between March and May. Daytime flight, poor F seat, short flight, not busy season, lots of time left to use SWUs.

As you can see, it is a complex problem with a lot of variables. My suggestion would be to try the complimentary upgrade a few times to get a feel for it.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
My EXP upgrade experience to Hawaii has been 100%. That's about 5 roundtrips a year, usually between November and April (I time work trips wisely!). Not only am I at 100% but the upgrade generally clears at 100 hours. In fact I would go as far to say that the LAX-Hawaii flights are among the easiest EXP upgrades in the system. It is common to see those flights go out with a few empty seats in F.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Deleted.

Last edited by tylerdurden4543; Feb 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm Reason: Deleted before the censors did.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A number of posts, mostly off-topic personal exchanges and mutual criticisms, have been removed. /Moderator
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I agree for EXPs, waiting for a sticker upgrade is reasonable. For PLT/GLDs, if you have gifted SWUs to use, it is a no brainer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.