Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frustrated with very early boarding of flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
I'll add that I've noticed this trend too over the last few months. However, I tend to like the practice because as an EXP/F customer it makes boarding much easier. It seems to catch all the people that normally like to hover and crowd around the boarding area just before boarding time off guard so it's smooth sailing up to the gate ^:-:
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
On early morning flights out of DFW, I seen them start boarding earlier.

Now that AA.com will provide us with incoming equip information, it's quite easy to estimate the boarding time for your flight. IME there is at least 20 (if not 30) min between arrival and the earliest possible boarding.

So if incoming equipment is arriving t-20 no chance of early boarding.

This also helps maximize AC time when the inbound arrives t-10 and the boards show your flight as on time.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:00 pm

Recently I was last aboard a JFK-BOS flight when boarding started at T-45. As I left the AC at T-25, I heard my name being called for final boarding. The GA was less than 10 feet behind me with the final paperwork.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TonySCV
Whatever the boarding time is on your BP, just assume it'll start 5-10 minutes sooner.

That's EXACTLY the advice I would give anyone. Assume that boarding will start early, ESPECIALLY on international and/or widebody flights.

So here is what I do:

- Domestic Narrowbody: I arrive at the gate 45 minutes before departure time (boarding listed as 30 minutes)

- Domestic Widebody: I arrive at the gate 50-55 minutes before departure (boarding listed as 30 minutes)

- International ex-USA: I arrive at the gate 60 minutes before departure (boarding listed as 45 minutes)

- International ex-overseas: I arrive at the gate 75 minutes before departure (boarding usually listed as 60 minutes)

I'd rather stand there for a few minutes and deal with some email on my phone, and be READY TO BOARD as soon as it begins, than be sitting in the lounge worried about finding space for my rollaboard.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing to add:

If the inbound aircraft is delayed on a DOMESTIC flight (domestic to domestic turn, so no CBP checks required), then I will stay in the lounge and arrive at the gate as soon as the inbound aircraft arrives.

Inbound widebody international is another matter....I usually check with the lounge agent because they sometimes switch to another bird rather than go through the 1.5 hour process of cleaning, catering, and CBP checking the late arrival.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:43 pm

Boarding time for widebody and 757 has always been 40 minutes. Narrowbody is 30.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
That's EXACTLY the advice I would give anyone. Assume that boarding will start early, ESPECIALLY on international and/or widebody flights.

So here is what I do:

- Domestic Narrowbody: I arrive at the gate 45 minutes before departure time (boarding listed as 30 minutes)

- Domestic Widebody: I arrive at the gate 50-55 minutes before departure (boarding listed as 30 minutes)

- International ex-USA: I arrive at the gate 60 minutes before departure (boarding listed as 45 minutes)

- International ex-overseas: I arrive at the gate 75 minutes before departure (boarding usually listed as 60 minutes)

I'd rather stand there for a few minutes and deal with some email on my phone, and be READY TO BOARD as soon as it begins, than be sitting in the lounge worried about finding space for my rollaboard.
Your time table could have been summarized to say, get to the gate 15 minutes before specified boarding time.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
This illustrates the fallacy of expecting everything to go exactly as planned / documented / policy.

There are thousands of moving parts in the process of getting a flight out on time. Gate availability, mechanical issues, weather, baggage issues, numbers of passengers, etc, just to name a few. Expecting boarding to begin at precisely the printed time on the boarding pass is an unreasonable expectation. If everything comes together, they will start early so as to make the boarding process easier for all. If everything is running late, they will herd the passengers on board like stampeding cattle, then shove the doors closed.

Expecting to leave the lounge at the exact minute that puts you at the gate right at the first call for boarding is not reasonable. If you want to board at the exact instant they call your group, thus maximizing your chances for overhead bin space or a PDB or a "clean" American Way crossword puzzle, then learn to love the chairs in the depature gate area. If you prefer to park your butt in a lounge until the last possible moment, then be prepared to board during some random Group 6 and don't be surprised if all the overhead bin space is packed full and some other person has switched your American Way for one with the puzzle half-completed in ink.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Feb 10, 2012 at 3:57 pm
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
...or a "clean" American Way crossword puzzle....[snip]....and some other person has switched your American Way for one with the puzzle half-completed in ink.

People actually read American Way?

(I use it only to look at the Vantage Point and the "Onboard Our Flights" section at the back for any updates to terminal maps and such.)
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Life is what happens while you plan."

They might board early, they might board on time and they may board late. At least that reflects my experience in recent months.

If I care, I need to be there a tad early and get my overhead space - particularly with a 22" rollaboard and, say, an MD-80 with only one side capable of handling the 22" lengthwise. If not, no worries; boarding is not something very precise, regardless of announced times. Paramount for GAs is getting the flight out on time, but crews are delayed (e.g. AA3086 was delayed by its late arrival 2/2, AA0136 began boarding early iirc, AA0051 7 Feb boarding was delayed by a late arriving crew due to traffic conditions from London city to LHR, AA1827 began boarding early).
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:58 pm

This illustrates the fallacy of expecting everything to go exactly as planned / documented / policy.

There are thousands of moving parts in the process of getting a flight out on time. Gate availability, mechanical issues, weather, baggage issues, numbers of passengers, etc, just to name a few. Expecting boarding to begin at precisely the printed time on the boarding pass is an unreasonable expectation. If everything comes together, they will start early so as to make the boarding process easier for all. If everything is running late, they will herd the passengers on board like stampeding cattle, then shove the doors closed.

Expecting to leave the lounge at the exact minute that puts you at the gate right at the first call for boarding is not reasonable. If you want to board at the exact instant they call your group, thus maximizing your chances for overhead bin space or a PDB or a "clean" American Way crossword puzzle, then learn to love the chairs in the depature gate area. If you prefer to park your butt in a lounge until the last possible moment, then be prepared to board during some random Group 6 and don't be surprised if all the overhead bin space is packed full and some other person has switched your American Way for one with the puzzle half-completed in ink.
Basic rule of traveling: be flexible.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by ESpen36
People actually read American Way?

(I use it only to look at the Vantage Point and the "Onboard Our Flights" section at the back for any updates to terminal maps and such.)
In the "stupidest, least substantive" thread, a number of people complain about the crossword or sudoku puzzles being pre-filled-in.

Ha! I bring MY OWN sudoku puzzles with me on board! No too-easy American Way sudoku for me, the vanquisher of "Extra-Deadly" puzzles!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I guess it's too late to change your handle... but it's like most IFE, the best is what you bring aboard. (Though I nearly died laughing at "The Big Year" on AA0051 LHR-DFW earlier this week, knowing some fairly "heavy" birders.)

In the "stupidest, least substantive" thread, a number of people complain about the crossword or sudoku puzzles being pre-filled-in.

Ha! I bring MY OWN sudoku puzzles with me on board! No too-easy American Way sudoku for me, the vanquisher of "Extra-Deadly" puzzles!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Early boarding does seem to happen in systemwide waves, presumably in response to internal directives of some kind. But it's not a new phenomemon. See this thread from 2009, in which I reported that a gate agent at SFO had called me on my cell phone at T-28 minutes.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Anyone else finding it amusing that we're now complaining that airlines are doing things EARLY? Apparently there really isn't anything that FTers can't find some reason to complain about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.