Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA policy on Y using J restroom domestic?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
AA basically invites a free for all by not even trying.
Contrast that with DL where almost always the FA announces "the F lav is for F pax".
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Originally Posted by VeniceDre
Last week MSY - ORD 738 plane 15 minutes into flight really overweight (I mean really) coach passenger came up to the First Class Bathroom and promptly messed it up. He was the only one to use it and when I opened the door there was something on the floor. Yikes.

Flight attendants were a little peeved to half to clean up after him. I think they should keep First/Coach seperate if they can.

On three class flights I see people using J bathrooms all the time... Especially since they are usually right in front of coach partition. Since they are behind the business seating I see no problem, especially during peak times (after the in-flight movie).
So what you are saying is that Y pax should go to Y bathroom because they are:
- dirty
and because only Y passengers
- sh$t on the floor
- mess the restrooms

But you are missing on some arguments. Please add to your list:
- they carry BSE
- they carry foot-and-mouth disease

Interesting to say the least... kinda reminds me of the movie Titanic....
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Minos
So what you are saying is that Y pax should go to Y bathroom because they are:
- dirty
and because only Y passengers
- sh$t on the floor
- mess the restrooms

But you are missing on some arguments. Please add to your list:
- they carry BSE
- they carry foot-and-mouth disease
Excellent points. Agree 100%. ^
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Minos
...But you are missing on some arguments. Please add to your list:
- they carry BSE
- they carry foot-and-mouth disease...
I can't believe you forgot cooties.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by SFO777
AA basically invites a free for all by not even trying.
Contrast that with DL where almost always the FA announces "the F lav is for F pax".
"trying" what, exactly ? The AA policy is that on domestic flights, all lavs are available for all passengers.

In practice, the F FA will usually push the line of people waiting for the F lav back to the curtain/bulkhead so that people don't interfere with F service and don't lean on F seats (my personal pet peeve).
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
"trying" what, exactly ? The AA policy is that on domestic flights, all lavs are available for all passengers.
aka "not even trying"
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: AA EXP .72MM
AA should adopt this policy

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
As an UA 1K, I can tell you that UA strictly enforces the rule of pax using their ticketed cabin even on domestic flights. I see FA denying Y pax trying to use F lavatory on a regular basis. One of the few things I miss about UA.
AA should restrict lav use to ones ticketed cabin.^
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
They should just give the Y's a coffee can and tree bark to wipe. Really? How many of us REALLY pay for an F ticket? Company purchase doesnt count. I bet half of em going up are EXP or PLT anyway.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
As one can see based upon the number of posts on this thread its been a hot topic of conversation and opinion.

As an EXP I'll say this. Normally the service in F is more involved than Y (FAs carrying trays of drinks and trays of food). So I and from I have observed most F paxs try to stay seated while the service is being performed giving the FA(s) ample room to move around unimpeded. Also not to mention that if you are in a window seat do you want your poor seatmate to move his or her drinks/food tray so that you can it to use the lav.

The result is that after the service there is normally a big demand for the often single lav from F paxs alone. I know I've had to wait a good 15 minutes or more just to have a chance to use the lav along with my fellow F paxs alone.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
This has been a major issue on the Super 80's for years and years. When the beverage cart is in the line in economy, Y pax are directed forward to use the lav in the front. Period.

The crowding in the back by the lavs is also a dislike of the FA's in the economy class of service.

It is a no win situation.

It is almost as bad (another can of worms being opened) when the FA's do not prevent economy passengers from using the overhead bins at the front of the aircraft. My pet hate!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:07 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
It is almost as bad (another can of worms being opened) when the FA's do not prevent economy passengers from using the overhead bins at the front of the aircraft.
In the context of a lavatory thread, the implications of this particular sentence have me concerned. Be careful when opening overhead bins, indeed!

Cheers.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Pay more get more

I think it is outrageous that Y pax use the premium lavs--or for that matter put their carry-ons into the F cabin overheads. The issue is simply that premium pax have paid for their space and that includes overheads and lavs.

We forget that one advantage of the premium cabin is not having to wait very long for access to the lav. If use is limited to premium pax, then it is less likely to be in use when a premium pax wants access (ratio of seats to lavs). That advantage is completely lost when the lav access is opened up to Y.

If you fly Y your seat is smaller, there are more seats per overhead and more seats per lav. Those unfavorable parameters reflect lower ticket price.

I fly mainly international and on foreign carriers use of lav in ticketed cabin is rigidly enforced. I cannot understand why AA varies from this.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
They should just give the Y's a coffee can and tree bark to wipe. Really? How many of us REALLY pay for an F ticket? Company purchase doesnt count.
Um, why in the world would it matter if it was company purchase?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Y passengers should stay in Y until they have to travel thru the cabin to disembark. I don't care how elitist that sounds many of us pay a lot extra to travel in premium cabins and along with that comes sone expected bonuses. Other airlines enforce keeping the Y passengers out. I don't see why AA can't do the same.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
This question keeps coming up.... Does NO ONE else remember the AA press release from 2-3 years ago stating that AA was opening ALL lavs to ALL pax, regardless of ticketed cabin? (Sole exception - INBOUND INTL flights to the U.S. - pax must stay in their ticketed cabin.) Of course, crew MAY opt to designate your cabin only on any flight, but that is on a flight-by-flight basis - CORPORATE policy allows cross-cabin lav use. No, I can no longer find the link to the release, but it sure as heck happened. But, I also can NOT find a link rescinding it, or a policy stating you must use the lav in your cabin (except inbound INTL.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.