Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA policy on Y using J restroom domestic?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by SanAngeles
Well, that would create an interesting scenario Say, you are in F and you have to go, and there is a line of Y pax at the rear of FC, do you have to join at the end of the queue? which means that you have to stand up, leave F, and stand in Y isle for a while
I've had this situation many times while riding in F. FA pushes the coach lav line back to the bulkhead of Y, keeping the F aisle clear. I wait for the lav to open, then stand up and enter the lav. Only once did someone yell at me "hey buddy, the line is back here". I smiled and continued to the lav.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by sukn
BTW, 762s do have a dedicated J lav.
yes, and it's located in the Y cabin (ie, aft of the bulkead behind row 11 in J; next to row 17 in Y).
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I've had this situation many times while riding in F. FA pushes the coach lav line back to the bulkhead of Y, keeping the F aisle clear. I wait for the lav to open, then stand up and enter the lav. Only once did someone yell at me "hey buddy, the line is back here". I smiled and continued to the lav.
Exactly. I don't mind Y passengers using the premium cabin lavs, as long as it doesn't mean a long wait for me.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Some FAs will announce to use the lav in your ticketed cabin. IMHO that is tied to the FAs wanting to be able to perform the F beverage and meal service in a more timely manner and with less hassle. Moreover, on 757s and some MD80s and 737s there is curtain now that serves at least as a psychological barrier to entrance for those back in steerage.
I agree -curtains do help now. Was glad to see them back. But, recent personal experience on domestic single aisle planes is Y's just pull the curtain back and proceed to lav. Even when FA closes curtain again, once the trend starts it doesn't stop and FA's rarely say a thing. Exception is the 763 long hauls to HI. Detailed annoucement is made about using lavs in assigned cabins and I have seen FA's send a wayward Y pax back. Probably number pax on board, service done, etc. motivates this.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Exactly. I don't mind Y passengers using the premium cabin lavs, as long as it doesn't mean a long wait for me.
Well, sometimes there can be emergencies, so I don't feel F pax should have an inalienable right to cut in front of the Y pax waiting for the F lav. Kind of have to feel out the situation on a case by case basis and do what seems right. If someone obnoxiously said "hey bud the lines back here" I probably wouldn't have a problem ignoring that person.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Citi AA Elite, HH GLD, Grand Wailea Elite
So next time a Y passes me in F I'll just get in the Aisle and bellow "Zuuuul - I am the Gatekeeper, are you the Keymaster?"

Originally Posted by sendbillmoney
During the 36 segments I flew last month, I frequently heard instructions to only use the lavatory in your ticketed cabin. Laughably, "security reasons" were sometimes cited. They should have just cited the Egon Spengler rule: Don't cross the streams.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by sendbillmoney
During the 36 segments I flew last month, I frequently heard instructions to only use the lavatory in your ticketed cabin.
during my 40 segments last month, I've never heard this once. not in my last year's 112 segments either.

I tend to use back lavs when I sit in coach. but when I sit up front, I have totally no problem coach pax come forward and use front one.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by ThunderJon
So next time a Y passes me in F I'll just get in the Aisle and bellow "Zuuuul - I am the Gatekeeper, are you the Keymaster?"
Only if you have the body of Sigourney Weaver...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by mingw
during my 40 segments last month, I've never heard this once. not in my last year's 112 segments either.
40 segments on American Eagles don't count.

On and off I heard the lav instruction but more so on international flights. Three weeks ago on NRT-DFW, I saw the FA sent several Y pass back to coach lav. On domestic flights, the FA usually don't care unless they congregate or blocking the meal service.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
My view is that lab in FC should be restricted to FC passengers in all flights. More usage typically means a dirtier lav and it's not like the FAs will make any effort to tidy it up. Why shouldn't those in FC expect such a restriction especially if they have paid the premium price of a FC ticket?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by AH-64D
40 segments on American Eagles don't count.
all 40 are mainline. 12 737 and 28 mad dog.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: UAL,AA, Marriott Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by davesam12
I agree -curtains do help now. Was glad to see them back. But, recent personal experience on domestic single aisle planes is Y's just pull the curtain back and proceed to lav. Even when FA closes curtain again, once the trend starts it doesn't stop and FA's rarely say a thing. Exception is the 763 long hauls to HI. Detailed annoucement is made about using lavs in assigned cabins and I have seen FA's send a wayward Y pax back. Probably number pax on board, service done, etc. motivates this.
Wow interesting. We are going DFW-HNL Wednesday and my wife and son are up front. So we can't use the lav up there to visit with them? I will have them come back to us in steerage.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Global Entry
how often is it really such an emergency that you couldn't walk a few more rows to reach the lav in your own class of service? i could see it if you had the squirts, AND there was severe turbulence, and you just had to get there to avoid soiling yourself. in that case, you gotta do what you gotta do. but if you have squirty issues like that, why would you even board a plane in the first place.

curtain crossers are just vile.

i use the lav in my ticketed cabin.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by nomaadic
how often is it really such an emergency that you couldn't walk a few more rows to reach the lav in your own class of service? i could see it if you had the squirts, AND there was severe turbulence, and you just had to get there to avoid soiling yourself. in that case, you gotta do what you gotta do. but if you have squirty issues like that, why would you even board a plane in the first place.

curtain crossers are just vile.

i use the lav in my ticketed cabin.
+1. I might not have said it so, uh, colorfully. But still +1.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by VeniceDre
Last week MSY - ORD 738 plane 15 minutes into flight really overweight (I mean really) coach passenger came up to the First Class Bathroom and promptly messed it up. He was the only one to use it and when I opened the door there was something on the floor. Yikes.]
And this would somehow be more acceptable had said passenger been seated in F?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.