Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Biased article about AA seat fees (for Ralph Nader)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm guessing that the numbers used are all round-trip fares - bigger numbers so as to garner maximum outrage.

An aisle seat will provide minimal relief for a 76 inch tall human. It might go against his moral code, but if I were Nader, I'd be elite with at least one airline just for the upgrade potential (since I'm sure he's too cheap to pay for domestic F).
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
The article doesn't say anything about no aisle seat being available on the return segment (assuming he was flying back to BDL). If that was the case, then I guess the $1357 Y fare would apply each way. But, if there was an aisle seat on the return, there wouldn't be any need for him to buy a full fare Y ticket, you are allowed to combine a Y and O fare, it's just that the most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary then.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
...the American Airlines agent clarified by saying that all aisle seats available for seat assignments to non “Preferred” economy class ticket holders were gone. But if Nader were willing to buy pay a full-fare, refundable ticket – for $2,680.40 -- he could get a guaranteed aisle seat .
Ah, he purchased his fare quite late in the game and wanted / expected special treatment. Fact is he might have been able to purchase a *UP fare and ride up front for less, and "his 6'4" frame" would not have been any better accommodated in an aisle seat than in a middle seat - only in an exit row would he have had greater seat pitch.

So, the agent chose not to tell him he should plan further ahead, that he might be able to find a more desirable seat on an earlier or later flight, or even purchase an "instant upgrade" seat for less? And as a consumer advocate of longstanding experience, he was totally clueless about how the system works? But hey, let's blame the airline, it's such a popular thing to do these days... might get some column inches out of it in a publication still paying attention to Mr. Nader

Originally Posted by MCMAHONSmR
It's articles like this that show how biased some publications are. So, Nader is flying on 2/11. He purchased his ticket on 2/1. We know he is going BDL to DFW on AA. The article claims he paid $750 and that in order to get a guaranteed aisle seat, he'd have had to pay $2680. How on earth is this even possible?

I don't know what the fares were on 2/1 when this ticket was allegedly purchased, but a full fare F one way ticket from BDL to DFW on 2/11 is $1685, some $1,000 cheaper than what they claim the cost for him to buy a full fare Y ticket was. P fare is $1231. Y is $1357. And an L fare can be procured for $580. That would be if I ticketed BDL to DFW on AA 1525 or 357 today on a one way basis.

If you are a nobody, the seat maps for both of those flights are quite full. 1525 has some "preferred" seats available, one being an aisle right now. The later flight, AA357, is indeed quite full. But, where did this travel agent or whomever come up with the idea that Nader needed to cough up $2680 for an aisle seat? Just like so many one post wonders, there's as many holes in this story as there are in a wheel of swiss cheese. Rubbish. Pure rubbish.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
well at least know we know the quality of presidential candidates msnbc promotes...not that he is running anymore but hey...hard to let go of an old fling.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
It seems really sad how often a newsy article requires so much filtering.

The whole preferred and preferred plus seating policy is creating some interesting dynamics. When I go to book on a 762/763, you see several rows in the 3-seat middle where the center is assigned and the two aisles are preferred or preferred plus and available. If the flight sells out, then it is good for us elites because we get to choose those last few aisles or windows before the rest of the passengers. But if the flight is NOT full, you end up sitting in seat 24C right next to the middle seat person in 24E. Maybe they can move over to 24G if it is open, and maybe they can't. It's better for me in C if they move to G, but there was a whole thread about someone being asked to stay in their assigned middle seat because they didn't pay for the aisle or window (I forget which one was open). Ugh.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors
I was on a flight with Nader years ago. It was an Alaska flight non-stop DC to SEA. He went OFF on the flight attendant because he was stuck in a middle seat and there was not enough leg room. Just pitched a fit. I guess he's had a really bad travel agent for a long time!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
1. He needs to get a better travel agent... I have worked with one who can reserve Preferred seats even for travelers with no status.

2. If there is an empty aisle seat he can select it at the airport kiosk.

3. I can only imagine the article that will result from Mr. Nader's first experience on Southwest
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Most Broadway shows charge extra for aisle seats. Why shouldn't airlines. Alos, why should the airlines be condemned for providing perks such as aisle seats customers who have earned an elite status through their loyalty as frequent flyers.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Nader should have gotten to top status flying ORD-SFO in January repeatedly like the rest of us.

Or he should start his own airline if he is such an operating genius. Goofball.

AA should have told him off in public; they'd get more goodwill that way than bending go his will.

And how can a guy like that not have airline status? He must fly every couple weeks at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.