FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1310448-archive-us-lcc-amr-aa-takeover-merger-rumors-discussion-consolidated.html)

LAXJFKesq May 12, 2012 10:38 am

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 18559913)
By the way you are wrong on the BoD, Rodin and Codin both date to Crandall.

As I have said multiple times, I'm just guessing it - but most BoDs don't go down with the ship or should I say CEO. The AMR announcement that they are now going to look at consolidation options immediately is 180 degree about face. BoDs don't like that type of stuff. BoDs also hate the Dear Sky Steward stuff too. And then having workers in open revolt. Plus being in 11, all at the same time. Makes them question management.

You can keep posting:

"AA will emerge from chapter 11 as a standalone. The future of the airline will be dtermined by the current management team not by Parker and that crappy product at US."

Even while AMR is saying:

"To be clear, American has committed to work in collaboration with the (creditors) committee to develop only potential consolidation scenarios and this agreement does not in any way suggest that a transaction of any kind or with any particular party will be pursued"

Of course, why spend time and money to work on 'potential consolidation scenarios' if you aren't going to pursue them, assuming they are superior to what management has put out there?

:D

Again, you are giving us your distorted version of the facts. Horton never said he was against consolidation (as my previous posts clearly shows he is on record as AA's President discussing future merger opportunities and whatt his preference would be). Horton has said numerous times since AMR filed for chapter 11 that any discussions of mergers/consolidations will ONLY take place after the company emerges from chapter 11.

Since US, with the help of AA's unions, has disrupted the chapter 11 process, AA and the UCC will now "look" at possible merger/consolidation opportunities along with AA's business plan. However, as the lead counsel for the UCC said yesterday, the protocol agreement is an acknowledgment by all parties to consider all viable alternatives -- i.e., they are exercising their fudiciary responsibilities in the chapter 11 process.....something you clearly do not understand.

Here is a Businessweek article citing Horton back in early February discussing consolidation -- 2 1/2 months before US/AA unions announcement on their non-binding agreement.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ptcy-exit.html

Bloomberg
AMR’s Horton Willing to Weigh Acquisitions After Bankruptcy ExitFebruary 07, 2012, 12:59 PM EST

By Mary Schlangenstein
Feb. 6 (Bloomberg) -- AMR Corp.’s American Airlines, whose bankruptcy made it a possible takeover target, may try to buy a rival after leaving Chapter 11 as the U.S. industry shrinks, Chief Executive Officer Tom Horton said.
“It’s not hard to envision how we could be a force in the industry and, potentially, a consolidator,” Horton said in a Feb. 3 interview at Bloomberg’s New York headquarters. “I don’t think we need to combine with anybody, but I think there will be ample opportunities to.”
Openness to a future acquisition contrasts with Fort Worth, Texas-based AMR’s decision to sit out a round of deal-making by U.S. airlines from 2005 through 2010. Horton said AMR would like to exit Chapter 11 this year and expects to do so independently, which would mean dodging potential bids from Delta Air Lines Inc. and US Airways Group Inc.

LAXJFKesq May 12, 2012 10:45 am

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 18561614)
Just so you can match what was with what is…

'Mr. Horton said AMR isn't interested in merger opportunities while it is in bankruptcy-court protection. "Contemplating a merger in the middle of a complex restructuring is like running a marathon with a backpack on. You just wouldn't do it."

Get it now? AMR management wasn't "in alignment." Horton had said he was not interested in a merger while in 11. AMR management is now going to look and see if it makes sense. Yes, it is nuanced. It is not Paul Revere yelling out "The British are coming," it is not the Titanic sending an "SOS." but it marks a very big change that AMR management will not be able to just pass quickly through 11 with its plan rubber stamped. It is subtle. You many not have picked it up? :)

<redacted> Yesterday's protocol agreement, as I said, changed absolutely nothing. You are basing your opinion on media headlines. If you want to challenge my and the lead counsel for the UCC (hope you know Skadden Arps is a top-tier firm) legal acumen....go right ahead. It is a free country. As I told you, I am not here to get into a pissing battle. I certainly cannot tell you what to posts <redacted>. Just go ask Senator Danforth. ;):p

elitetraveler May 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq (Post 18561674)
Again, you are giving us your distorted version of the facts. Horton never said he was against consolidation (as my previous posts clearly shows he is on record as AA's President discussing future merger opportunities and whatt his preference would be). Horton has said numerous times since AMR filed for chapter 11 that any discussions of mergers/consolidations will ONLY take place after the company emerges from chapter 11.

Since US, with the help of AA's unions, has disrupted the chapter 11 process, AA and the UCC will now "look" at possible merger/consolidation opportunities along with AA's business plan. However, as the lead counsel for the UCC said yesterday, the protocol agreement is an acknowledgment by all parties to consider all viable alternatives -- i.e., they are exercising their fudiciary responsibilities in the chapter 11 process.....something you clearly do not understand.

Here is a Businessweek article citing Horton back in early February discussing consolidation -- 2 1/2 months before US/AA unions announcement on their non-binding agreement.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ptcy-exit.html

Bloomberg
AMR’s Horton Willing to Weigh Acquisitions After Bankruptcy ExitFebruary 07, 2012, 12:59 PM EST

By Mary Schlangenstein
Feb. 6 (Bloomberg) -- AMR Corp.’s American Airlines, whose bankruptcy made it a possible takeover target, may try to buy a rival after leaving Chapter 11 as the U.S. industry shrinks, Chief Executive Officer Tom Horton said.
“It’s not hard to envision how we could be a force in the industry and, potentially, a consolidator,” Horton said in a Feb. 3 interview at Bloomberg’s New York headquarters. “I don’t think we need to combine with anybody, but I think there will be ample opportunities to.”
Openness to a future acquisition contrasts with Fort Worth, Texas-based AMR’s decision to sit out a round of deal-making by U.S. airlines from 2005 through 2010. Horton said AMR would like to exit Chapter 11 this year and expects to do so independently, which would mean dodging potential bids from Delta Air Lines Inc. and US Airways Group Inc.

Feb. 1 Horton on the record on not wanting a merger directly from AA press release:

http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3448

"You have likely read or heard reports that there are those who wish to shrink our airline, close hubs or acquire our company or assets – all for the benefit of their own stakeholders. Still others may favor a breakup of American. I do not believe any of these outcomes are in the best interests of American, our people, or our stakeholders."

You are quoting Horton AFTER he changed his position, "I do not believe any of these outcomes are in the best interests of American, our people, or our stakeholders" is pretty clear, especially since there was nothing on the table.

Get it? No formal offer, in fact no offer of any kind, and Horton was already rejecting it?

So let's count what you have been incorrect in this thread, all supported by links to actual back up information @:-)

1. AMR needs outside investment to emerge from 11
2. There are BoD members that date back to Crandall
3. Horton was on record as a transaction as not being open to an acquisition (I guess unless he did it and he remained CEO?)
4. Horton then changed his course and said he would be open to a consolidation only after emerging from 11 (the article you quote)
5. AMR has now formally said they will look at consolidation options during their period of exclusivity

It really doesn't matter whether Skadden Arps is the best law first since sliced bread or a bunch of ambulance chasers. Please stop throwing in red herring arguments.

<redacted>

LAXJFKesq May 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 18562183)
Feb. 1 Horton on the record on not wanting a merger directly from AA press release:

"You have likely read or heard reports that there are those who wish to shrink our airline, close hubs or acquire our company or assets – all for the benefit of their own stakeholders. Still others may favor a breakup of American. I do not believe any of these outcomes are in the best interests of American, our people, or our stakeholders."

You are quoting Horton AFTER he changed his position, "I do not believe any of these outcomes are in the best interests of American, our people, or our stakeholders" is pretty clear, especially since there was nothing on the table.

Get it? No formal offer, in fact no offer of any kind, and Horton was already rejecting it?

So let's count what you have been incorrect in this thread, all supported by links to actual back up information @:-)

3. Horton was on record as a transaction as not being open to an acquisition (I guess unless he did it and he remained CEO?)
4. Horton then changed his course and said he would be open to a consolidation only after emerging from 11 (the article you quote)
5. AMR has now formally said they will look at consolidation options during their period of exclusivity

It really doesn't matter whether Skadden Arps is the best law first since sliced bread or a bunch of ambulance chasers. Please stop throwing in red herring arguments.

<redacted>

<redacted> The press release you cited doesn't quote Horton saying he is against consolidation. That was the discussion. Horton outlined to his employees in that letter the opportunities and threats ahead. Just like he did when the company first filed for chapter 11.

<redacted> I will let the quotes of the UCC lead counsel, and the other sources I cited stand while you post your misinformed opinions and you contiinue to guess. When this process is concluded we will see who is right and who was wrong.

LAXJFKesq May 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 18562183)

<redacted>

In addition, I provided you the link to the court where you can get the transcript of the proceedings for a nominal fee. You can read actually what took place not filtered/interpeted by the media, unions, US, etc.

I strongly urge you to subscribe so you can make more informed posts on the process/related topic at hand.

tom911 May 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq (Post 18562294)
<redacted>

Maybe it's time for you to take a break from the AA forum and discover some of the other forums on FT.

Radiant Flyer May 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Ummmm reading through the treads most on this forum are talking out of their blanket y blank blank... Most are just re-posting headlines they are reading in the news and actually have no inside information on what is really happening. Knowing and working for someone who was involved with the Delta and United restructuring... I take what I read on here with a grain of salt and a little pepper.

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 18562376)
Maybe it's time for you to take a break from the AA forum and discover some of the other forums on FT.

lyiu18 May 12, 2012 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer (Post 18563300)
Ummmm reading through the treads most on this forum are talking out of their blanket y blank blank... Most are just re-posting headlines they are reading in the news and actually have no inside information on what is really happening. Knowing and working for someone who was involved with the Delta and United restructuring... I take what I read on here with a grain of salt and a little pepper.

agree, the title of this thread is "Rumors and Discussion", except discussion about the news or something made public, let's hear some rumors from insider.

miamigrad May 13, 2012 10:39 am

A reminder to all members posting in this forum that you must do so respectfully. Personal attacks will not be tolerated:

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q87

Several posts have been edited to comply with the Terms of Service that everyone agreed to when they signed up for FlyerTalk membership.

If you see additional posts that warrant moderators' attention, please use the "Alert a moderator to this Post" feature (the exclamation point icon below member's name).

/Moderator

mreed911 May 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by AAFA (Post 18559085)
There's really no plan we have to see. Five years is a long time to work under the terms AA is trying to impose and I'd rather not do it REGARDLESS of what Parker plans to do.

If AA can get their 'costs in line' they can succeed as a stand alone carrier, is the mantra. The problem is that they need a viable business plan and the 'costs in line' isn't just paper or a bunch of drones. It's the human factor that make the 'costs in line' theory not so easy to manage in practice.

Translation: I don't want to work for the wage AA is offering, and I don't want anyone else who does want to work for the wage AA is offering to actually get the chance to work for AA, so I'll stall the process instead until I finally end up doing the minimum required in my job for the reduced wage I decided to accept because I wouldn't make the choice to leave.

Honestly? If you're worth more than AA is offering, you should walk... if only to reinforce to yourself your self worth.

I'm not saying you're worth less - but AA is - and you either agree and stay or you disagree and leave. Which is it?

oneworld82 May 15, 2012 9:43 am

5 out of 7 groups of ground workers accepted AMR latest offer

http://www.boston.com/business/artic...t_on_contract/

JDiver May 15, 2012 9:54 am

Including "The Transport Workers Union said Tuesday that five work groups voted to accept the company's offer but two others, including the biggest, aircraft mechanics, rejected it.

Pilots, flight attendants and the TWU have already thrown their support to a bid by US Airways to take over American and create a bigger combined airline."

Dreamers... the grass appears greener in Doug's pasture, but as stated in the thread this is probably headed to, he hasn't harvested any hay since the US-HP merger.

Deltican May 15, 2012 10:26 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 18579117)
Dreamers... the grass appears greener in Doug's pasture, but as stated in the thread this is probably headed to, he hasn't harvested any hay since the US-HP merger.

My better half is an FA and we have discussed this time and time again. It's amazing what they are NOT told by their union leaders what would happen if the merger did happen. The only ones I see benefiting are the union leaders and not the masses.

miamigrad May 15, 2012 11:48 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 18579117)
Including "The Transport Workers Union said Tuesday that five work groups voted to accept the company's offer but two others, including the biggest, aircraft mechanics, rejected it.

Pilots, flight attendants and the TWU have already thrown their support to a bid by US Airways to take over American and create a bigger combined airline."

Indeed, JDiver, it makes sense to contain discussion about the potential merger to one thread. This will help our members see what's been said, hinted at, or done by the involved parties in one location.

/Moderator

LDVFlyer May 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Deltican (Post 18579306)
My better half is an FA and we have discussed this time and time again. It's amazing what they are NOT told by their union leaders what would happen if the merger did happen. The only ones I see benefiting are the union leaders and not the masses.

Add customers as well. For over a decade, AA has financed the industry-leading wages and benefits of its union employees on the back of its customers. As this was happening, all the other airlines went through bankruptcy and ushered in a new era of amenities across all classes. I am convinced if Parker takes over the customers will bear even more cost cutting in order to make good on his promises to the unions, that is if he can make good on them at all.