FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1310448-archive-us-lcc-amr-aa-takeover-merger-rumors-discussion-consolidated.html)

Clipper110A Feb 8, 2012 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by gegarrenton (Post 17976938)
That's all fine and well except Parker hasn't even convinced half of HIS employees to merge with the other half!

My admittedly anecdotal impression of the East-West pilots from talking to several is that they HATE each other mutually and collectively in a way that has happened at no other airline merger in history.

Add AA's bad labor juju on top of that for a real bizarre dynamic. maybe they would all neutralize each other in the confusion, but I think it would go from ultra ugly to hideous fast.

JDiver Feb 8, 2012 9:29 pm

^ Exactly!

They are still discussing, among other issues, seniority lists. Kind of reminds me of Republic's airplane running out of fuel, iirc, because of lack of CRM between pilots from two merged airlines (Hughes and Republic, iirc).

For those interested in a discussion on the difference between mergers and acquisitions in the airline business, there's a good and short study here in PDF form.

(Mergers & Acquisition in Aviation Industry:.Issues & Concerns, by Julie Desai)

I could see some AA employees considering sackcloth, ashes and wrist slitting with a US/AA "merger", particularly if they have spoken to original US employees.

Originally Posted by gegarrenton (Post 17976938)
That's all fine and well except Parker hasn't even convinced half of HIS employees to merge with the other half!

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Feb 9, 2012 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Clipper110A (Post 17979665)
My admittedly anecdotal impression of the East-West pilots from talking to several is that they HATE each other mutually and collectively in a way that has happened at no other airline merger in history.

Add AA's bad labor juju on top of that for a real bizarre dynamic. maybe they would all neutralize each other in the confusion, but I think it would go from ultra ugly to hideous fast.

This has not stopped Doug Parker from trying to do other mergers/acquisitions. While AA unions have a rep on the Unsecured Creditors' Committee, if other creditors want to take a deal from USAir and more importantly if AA management is willing to go along (even if somewhat reluctantly) then the Judge can (and likely will) overrule any union objections.

Yes it could get really messy but Parker doesn't seem to be fazed by that prospect.

hazelrah Feb 9, 2012 6:24 am

AA is last to the ball (Bankruptcy), it gets to dance with the ugly sister (USairways).

longtimelurker Feb 9, 2012 6:41 am

My apologies if it is already being discussed somewhere, but this Reuters article from last night reports that AA's unsecured creditors "want AMR management to explore other options that may lead to a better recovery of their claims [than AA's stand-alone plan], including a potential combination with another carrier."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81801K20120209

NorthCentralDC3 Feb 9, 2012 10:23 am

Originally Posted by longtimelurker (Post 17981624)
My apologies if it is already being discussed somewhere, but this Reuters article from last night reports that AA's unsecured creditors "want AMR management to explore other options that may lead to a better recovery of their claims [than AA's stand-alone plan], including a potential combination with another carrier."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81801K20120209

The article quoted above takes some of the emotions out of this. Ultimately, the outcome - standalone, acquired by US, split into pieces will be based on where the creditors believe they face the greatest ability to recover their investments of money. The employee groups will no doubt continue to pursue the standalone option unless they begin to question long term viability. Boeing and others probably want some form of merger. The only scenario where an Eastern Airlines style "sell of the pieces" would come into play would be if the employees prove intransigent in agreeing to lowered labor costs.

From a customer perspective, I think most things would remain the same in a merger due to the larger size of AA compared to US. Looking at past mergers, Delta and NWA essentially left the Delta passengers the winners with the Skymiles program as the survivor, United and Continental left United's Mileage Plus intact with some improvements based on benefits that Continental passengers had grown to know and love, and USAir/America West left Dividend miles intact. In each case, the larger carriers name survived, the plane were painted to match rebranding, and the resulting carrier was actually better for the customers. If USAirways acquires AA (or Vice versa) the name will no doubt be AA, the planes will be repainted, the Advantage program will remain intact, and we will have a couple more destinations that have Admirals Clubs. The only other change will be that now there will be three groups of employees that hate each other and collectively hate management.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Feb 9, 2012 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by NorthCentralDC3 (Post 17982966)
The article quoted above takes some of the emotions out of this. Ultimately, the outcome - standalone, acquired by US, split into pieces will be based on where the creditors believe they face the greatest ability to recover their investments of money. The employee groups will no doubt continue to pursue the standalone option unless they begin to question long term viability. Boeing and others probably want some form of merger. The only scenario where an Eastern Airlines style "sell of the pieces" would come into play would be if the employees prove intransigent in agreeing to lowered labor costs.

From a customer perspective, I think most things would remain the same in a merger due to the larger size of AA compared to US. Looking at past mergers, Delta and NWA essentially left the Delta passengers the winners with the Skymiles program as the survivor, United and Continental left United's Mileage Plus intact with some improvements based on benefits that Continental passengers had grown to know and love, and USAir/America West left Dividend miles intact. In each case, the larger carriers name survived, the plane were painted to match rebranding, and the resulting carrier was actually better for the customers. If USAirways acquires AA (or Vice versa) the name will no doubt be AA, the planes will be repainted, the Advantage program will remain intact, and we will have a couple more destinations that have Admirals Clubs. The only other change will be that now there will be three groups of employees that hate each other and collectively hate management.

I think that this poster had given a great objective view of what an AA/US merger would look like from a FF prospective. The only negative I see is possibly a cheapen domestic F product/experience, specifically with meal service. And even that I do not see as a deal breaker unless one has a love of airline food.

But the idea that a merger would turn AA into some kind of pseudo Spirit Airlines is just too much FT unnecessary worrying.

BF263533 Feb 9, 2012 12:30 pm

.... The only scenario where an Eastern Airlines style "sell of the pieces" would come into play would be if the employees prove intransigent in agreeing to lowered labor costs.

..... The only other change will be that now there will be three groups of employees that hate each other and collectively hate management.

Eastern Airlines was brought down by intransigent management and intransigent employees. There are probably a few senior AA & US employees around who came from Eastern. Being an Eastern frequent flyer, I watched that saga go on for years. During Eastern's last year there seemed to be good cooperation, and service was improving, but it was just too late to save Eastern.

PS - NorthCentralDC3, did you have the opportunity to fly the DC-3?

jeffhacker Feb 9, 2012 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Science Goy (Post 17951361)
US is the one company I've consistently boycotted, even when their fares were significantly lower than competitors'. Worst airline ever.

Actually, they're pretty good these days. on time flights, clean airplanes. Their soft product isn't as nice as AA, but they aren't as bad as many others anymore.

Jeff

jeffhacker Feb 9, 2012 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by crazyMRer (Post 17972595)
AA has quite a few non LHR flights:

AA metal: 37 Europe flights, 26 routes, 13 cities in Europe
JFK-LHR 4x
JFK-CDG 2x
JFK-MAN 1x
JFK-BRU 1x
JFK-ZRH 1x
JFK-MXP 1x
JFK-FCO 1x
JFK-BCN 1x
JFK-MAD 1x
ORD-LHR 4x
ORD-HEL 1x
ORD-DUB 1x
ORD-MAN 1x
ORD-CDG 1x
ORD-FCO 1x
DFW-LHR 3x
DFW-FRA 1x
DFW-CDG 1x
DFW-MAD 1x
MIA-LHR 1x
MIA-CDG 1x
MIA-MAD 1x
LAX-LHR 1x
BOS-LHR 3x
BOS-CDG 1x
RDU-LHR 1x

US metal: 24 Europe flights, 22 routes, 16 cities in Europe
PHL-FRA 2x
PHL-DUB 1x
PHL-GLA 1x
PHL-MAN 1x
PHL-LHR 1x
PHL-AMS 1x
PHL-BRU 1x
PHL-CDG 1x
PHL-MUC 1x
PHL-ZRH 1x
PHL-VCE 1x
PHL-ATH 1x
PHL-FCO 1x
PHL-BCN 1x
PHL-LIS 1x
PHL-MAD 1x
CLT-FRA 2x
CLT-DUB 1x
CLT-LGW 1x
CLT-CDG 1x
CLT-FCO 1x
CLT-MAD 1x

European cities served by AA, not US:
MXP
HEL

European cities served by US, not AA:
GLA
AMS
MUC
VCE
ATH
LIS

Don't forget that US serves PHL-TLV.

NorthCentralDC3 Feb 9, 2012 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by BF263533 (Post 17983712)
Eastern Airlines was brought down by intransigent management and intransigent employees. There are probably a few senior AA & US employees around who came from Eastern. Being an Eastern frequent flyer, I watched that saga go on for years. During Eastern's last year there seemed to be good cooperation, and service was improving, but it was just too late to save Eastern.

PS - NorthCentralDC3, did you have the opportunity to fly the DC-3?

Yes, my first flight as a child was on a DC3 back in late 50s that flew from Madison Wisconsin to Milwaukee Mitchell to Chicago Midway - the busiest airport in the world! I haven't been on one since the early 60s, but my wife and kids had to pull really hard to get me off of the DC3 that is on display in the AA museum in Fort Worth. I love the sound of props so I'm sure I'm an outlier, but I enjoy the occasional (short) flight on Saab 340s or ATRs - still prefer 777 going transcontinental of course :)

sdsearch Feb 9, 2012 1:18 pm

If USAirways acquires AA (or Vice versa) the name will no doubt be AA, the planes will be repainted, the Advantage program will remain intact, and we will have a couple more destinations that have Admirals Clubs. The only other change will be that now there will be three groups of employees that hate each other and collectively hate management.

Ah, but the big question is: Would AAdvantage start doing GrandSlam promotions?

As I don't frequent the US forum, it seems the only time I ever run a lot into US FFs on FT is during GrandSlam, when a bunch of them barrage the forums of partners -- hotels, rental cards, etc -- trying to figure out specific ways to get "hits" from that partner.

I shudder at the thought of the much greater number of AA FFs doing the same thing if AA started doing Grand Slam yearly! :)

fly747first Feb 9, 2012 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper110A (Post 17979665)

Very sad but true. As one of my "West" crews put it, "we can't even get on the same shuttle to the hotel without fighting with the East crews, let alone agree on seniority."

fly747first Feb 9, 2012 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by jeffhacker (Post 17984024)
Actually, they're pretty good these days. on time flights, clean airplanes. Their soft product isn't as nice as AA, but they aren't as bad as many others anymore.

Jeff

Domestically, I find US to be awful unless you get a flight with meal service. However, for long-haul travel, US actually has the best J hard product on A330-200 aircraft and the soft product definitely beats AA's.

fly747first Feb 9, 2012 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by jeffhacker (Post 17984061)
Don't forget that US serves PHL-TLV.

AA seems to choose its CEOs based on an old boys' club system. With few exemptions, AA's CEOs have all been entitled, classless, and without a strong understanding of the airline industry.