FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1310448-archive-us-lcc-amr-aa-takeover-merger-rumors-discussion-consolidated.html)

elitetraveler Jul 31, 2012 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Science Goy (Post 19035989)
Incorrect. I said I hadn't been in any of their lounges. I rarely visit lounges even when I'm eligible.

Ok - so which of these airlines did you fly F in and determine their food quality was no better than Red Lobster?

gegarrenton Jul 31, 2012 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 19036000)
Ok - so which of these airlines did you fly F in and determine their food quality was no better than Red Lobster?

I have flown CX, SQ, LH and EK, and I rate Red Lobster food noticeably better.

Edit: and the poster who makes the assertion of US being better culinary wise than AA in any circumstance is following his pattern of lobbing opinions into this forum that make most folks giggle.

TheBOSman Jul 31, 2012 4:09 pm

I feel like I should be the last person to say this, but it's getting really off topic. Stick to US/AA getting together or pushing away please.

sts603 Jul 31, 2012 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Science Goy (Post 19035989)
I rarely visit lounges even when I'm eligible.

Just out of curiosity. Why not?

serfty Jul 31, 2012 4:33 pm

In relation to First Class catering on USair, as I posted back in May:

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 18612285)
I have some recent US First experience over a dozen or so flights.

PDB from the bar are generally offered.

No real food on flights less than 3½ hours schedule. (http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...irstclass.html)

No IFE video on domestic flight.

The upsell (e.g. $75) seems to generally occur only after elites have been upgraded and there are still seats free, although those on the US forum may disagree.

nkedel Jul 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by gegarrenton (Post 19036057)
I have flown CX, SQ, LH and EK, and I rate Red Lobster food noticeably better.

Red Lobster, really? Not to my taste as casual dining places go; unless it's improved in the past couple of years, they used to be down there with Sizzler.

I've only flown AA in F and J, and have flown CX and QF in J. I'd rate the food on CX and QF in J as noticeably better than AA in either F or J, and any of the above better than Sizzler or my memory of Red Lobster.

OTOH, that doesn't mean they're better food than a lot of other casual dining restaurants; AA food on average has been better than the bottom tier of casual dining (Red Lobster, Sizzler, Denny's, etc) but frankly, I'd generally rather have one of the better-but-hardly-great casual dining options at many airports (TGIF, Chili's) over the J food on AA.

ccengct Jul 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by luigi1988 (Post 19034254)
Oh please. AA first/business class is already an embarrassment as it is. I recently flew from JFK to London and was shocked at how bad it was. The only thing nice about flying in business was the extra legroom but everything else was awful. The old outdated personal TVs were hilariously pathetic, the seats were old and worn out, the food disgusting (if I were ever served such a nasty meal outside of an airplane I wouldn't hesitate to send it back).

I also recently flew from JFK to London in C. I rather enjoyed it. I couldn't care less about IFE, but the woman in the adjacent seat liked hers. The seats were clean and fully operable. The food was good.

I've been around the world a few times on many other airlines in C, so I'm not a rookie.

You're entitled to your opinion but there's no way to reconcile your experience with mine except to say that we're different people.

Paulchili Jul 31, 2012 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Science Goy (Post 19035841)
Fair point on cold/packaged items, though in my opinion "high quality caviar" is an oxymoron. :) But the oven and preflight-preparation limitations are exactly what make most hot airline food fall below restaurant quality.

Unless you are flying EY F with a chef onboard, like I hope to experience this December :D

gegarrenton Jul 31, 2012 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel (Post 19036526)
Red Lobster, really? Not to my taste as casual dining places go; unless it's improved in the past couple of years, they used to be down there with Sizzler.

I've only flown AA in F and J, and have flown CX and QF in J. I'd rate the food on CX and QF in J as noticeably better than AA in either F or J, and any of the above better than Sizzler or my memory of Red Lobster.

OTOH, that doesn't mean they're better food than a lot of other casual dining restaurants; AA food on average has been better than the bottom tier of casual dining (Red Lobster, Sizzler, Denny's, etc) but frankly, I'd generally rather have one of the better-but-hardly-great casual dining options at many airports (TGIF, Chili's) over the J food on AA.

I think Red Lobster is very subpar, that was my point. I grew up 5 blocks from the ocean, if the fish wasn't swimming a couple hours before I eat it, I don't consider it real seafood.

Pucnit Jul 31, 2012 7:32 pm

So...

I hear that US Airways and AMR don't plan to merge anymore because of a disagreement on the placement of the new CEO's office furniture. Something about if it should be in Texas or not...

LINDEGR Jul 31, 2012 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel (Post 19036526)

I just had cajun broiled trout tonight (takeout as I was working late) and found it quite tasty even though I was a bit surprised at the $19 pricetag for it.

lwildernorva Jul 31, 2012 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pucnit (Post 19037093)
So...

I hear that US Airways and AMR don't plan to merge anymore because of a disagreement on the placement of the new CEO's office furniture. Something about if it should be in Texas or not...

No, no, no. I heard the disagreement was totally about the color of the corporate letterhead to be used after the merger. . .

And I also heard that may AirAsia might be interested in pushing in after US and AA merged, but only if they'd drop their North American routes. . .

Bttc Jul 31, 2012 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by gegarrenton (Post 19036949)
I think Red Lobster is very subpar, that was my point. I grew up 5 blocks from the ocean, if the fish wasn't swimming a couple hours before I eat it, I don't consider it real seafood.

I grew up 500 miles from the ocean, and I still think Red Lobster is awful.

elitetraveler Jul 31, 2012 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bttc (Post 19037643)
I grew up 500 miles from the ocean, and I still think Red Lobster is awful.

The analogy to what was posted by ScienceGoy is from someone who stays at Ramada, Days Inn and Doubletree and then says "there are no hotels in the world that have good restaurants."

Nobody should look down on folks who are happy with Days Inn. Just don't then make misstatements about what else is being offered.

LH, LX, NH, JL, TG, SQ, EK all do a pretty good job of offering good food in F.

Science Goy Jul 31, 2012 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 19037853)
The analogy to what was posted by ScienceGoy is from someone who stays at Ramada, Days Inn and Doubletree and then says "there are no hotels in the world that have good restaurants."

If hotels worldwide were prohibited by law from having proper kitchens on the premises (like airlines effectively are), this would be a reasonable conclusion. While standards certainly differ, food that's been prepared 6 hours in advance, chilled, wrapped up, then reheated in a convection oven will never be "good" or "restaurant-quality" by mine -- and I don't need to fly exhaustively on every airline in the world in F to draw that conclusion.

Heck, from your wording that seems to be your conclusion as well - "pretty good job of offering good food" would be a seriously lackluster review for most restaurants :)