Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Why? Are you saying that nobody buys Y/B fares? (Or that most GLDs/PLTs would not consider buying Y/B fares just so they could upgrade for free?)

In any event, each person's own MMV, right?
It doesn't count because nobody wants to pay for full Y/B. You might as well pay for F most of the time at that point. US Airways/Delta/United all give upgrades on any fare, and there is a significant difference between free on any flight and "free" on a $1000 ticket.

And you know it.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:56 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Bttc
It doesn't count because nobody wants to pay for full Y/B. You might as well pay for F most of the time at that point. US Airways/Delta/United all give upgrades on any fare, and there is a significant difference between free on any flight and "free" on a $1000 ticket.

And you know it.
There is also a difference between unlimited upgrades on all fares and the reality on US/UA/DL...namely that they are TECHNICALLY unlimited but in practice much less likely than an upgrade on AA on any fare...

Most of us UA flyers would LOVE t go back to th sticker system....
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by Joe L
In my case, 20 years ago, I was in middle school. Sorry.
And you couldn't have gotten a hall pass???
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Sorry, but this is still incorrect. Gold and Plats in fact DO receive unlimited complimentary upgrades. They just need to purchase Y or B fares (full-fare Economy) if they want to have unlimited complimentary upgrades.

If they choose to purchase discount fares, they then must use stickers (that they can earn, purchase, or exchange from miles).

Okay?
As usual, you have overplayed your hand on this one in attempt to doggedly
argue semantics.

I had generally agreed with your previous clarification, but you always seem to want to get the inch and take it a mile...

Regards
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:46 am

Programs: PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Rewards Gold, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by morrisunc
I've has amazon success with star award bookings on us. Just booked 2 rt biz tickets to Tokyo on nrt for 180k and 160 bucks. Also just booked biz to Berlin on lh new 748 for next week. 100k miles and 100 bucks. I dont see how anybody thinks one world is better that star.
It is if you're going to South America, by a long shot. Star with Copa Airlines has Central America locked down, but anything farther south than Colombia is LAN territory.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by swag
Routes like this (AA hub to US hub) would seem to be very high risk for big post-merger price increases. My most common city pair is DFW-CLT, and I'm worried.

We can all speculate about post-merger frequent flyer programs, elite levels, service standards, and how differences between the to airlines get resolved, but at this point, that's all it is: speculation.

But it's a near-certainty that if a route goes from having two airlines offering nonstop service to having only one, prices will increase.
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Just booked a weekend flight from PHL to DFW and the fares on US were 422 while it was 400+ for just one way on AA. I fly this route quite a bit and would be so annoyed at having to pay 800 for a RT.

Each merger seems to be worse than the previous.
Hidden city success the problem, because it's easy to do both ways.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
A Cinderella Outcome

This group thinks Alaskan is the best suitor:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/7644...askan-airlines
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Why? Are you saying that nobody buys Y/B fares? (Or that most GLDs/PLTs would not consider buying Y/B fares just so they could upgrade for free?)

In any event, each person's own MMV, right?
Did it occur to FTs that if AA went with complimentary domestic upgrades for all elites the F product would end up looking like what USAir has. No meals on flights under 3.5 hours, cold meals at other times, a nasty snack basket instead of warm nuts and the cookie on refreshment flights. Personally I like having a full meal (including snack service on off hours) on NYC/MIA and NYC/DFW flights.

I my biggest fear with an AA/US merger where US is the acquirer would be the cheapening of the F service.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Citi AA Elite, HH GLD, Grand Wailea Elite
Originally Posted by 236Dakota

I always thought this made more sense. Then again I never liked FaceBubble while wall street frothed for them. I've seen the SJC-SEA weekday routes pretty packed with day or 1-2 night commuters between the 2 tech centers. The Hawaii routes for AS have been packed from the Bay Area (I got it cheaper going AA SJC-LAX-OGG then AS direct).
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Did it occur to FTs that if AA went with complimentary domestic upgrades for all elites the F product would end up looking like what USAir has. No meals on flights under 3.5 hours, cold meals at other times, a nasty snack basket instead of warm nuts and the cookie on refreshment flights. Personally I like having a full meal (including snack service on off hours) on NYC/MIA and NYC/DFW flights.

I my biggest fear with an AA/US merger where US is the acquirer would be the cheapening of the F service.
I think thats oversimplified. One of the reasons that US has a cheaper F experience (though it has improved greatly since the US-HP merger believe it or not) is that US uses it more as an elite-retention tool and less as a reason to attract paid domestic F and paid F/J international connections. US's route system does not allow it to go after that traffic like AA does.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by 236Dakota

Clearly that group knows the airline industry inside and out, considering that "Alaskan" is not an airline.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Clearly that group knows the airline industry inside and out, considering that "Alaskan" is not an airline.
Ouch.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
IMHO AA does have a the best domestic F service. I, too, would hate to see it degraded.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: AA ExP/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond
Being Seattle-based, I fly Alaska quite frequently, and an AA/AS merger would make likely make huge improvements in my travel life. Having been MVP Gold on AS for 12 of the last 14 years, I can say they have a couple of perks that would be nice if they carry over. The top one is the waived change fee for Gold. Add to that EVERYONE gets a 20 minute checked bag delivery guarantee. Confirmed Gold upgrades at time of booking on all but the deepest discount fares. And for me, non-stops from Seattle to Reagan, Newark, Austin, Orlando, all of Hawaii, and more.

Love to see it!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Not to mention that Alaska has shown no interest at least publicly. Also, the article states that financing will be an issue but yet Wall Street loves the deal. I can tell you that if Wall Street loves the deal (and Wall Street is very good at loving deals that ultimately spell disaster) there will be bankers tripping over themselves to provide financing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.