FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1310448-archive-us-lcc-amr-aa-takeover-merger-rumors-discussion-consolidated.html)

diver858 Jul 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 19000374)
I mostly fly AA and US as a peon (slightly upgraded peon on AA now that AA/AS elite reciprocity is in place, plus I've flown AA domestic F a couple times in "Eisenhower" 757 seats).

Flying most USA airlines as a peon in coach is a very generic experience, and I would be hard-pressed to think there's much of a difference between any of US/UA/DL/AA for us folks in the cheap seats. Obviously the rarefied air of an AA EXP gives one a much different perspective on things.

All that being said, the fact that US seems to have figured a few things out about optimizing their network (such as it is) while fighting WN to a draw in PHX and PHL... well, I think it makes them less ugly. Shareholders and executives think proftable operations are quite pretty.

Well, they're still here, and still making profits, inferior network and whatever you want to say about their management. They looked like quite a dead duck not too long ago.

I won't be shocked if any merger (if there is one) is on AA's terms, in the end- or if there isn't one.

You may be giving US a bit too much credit. Domestic carriers have cut back on capacity, demand is up, so loads and prices are up. Combined with the drop in fuel costs in the last quarter, much of the profits are due to factors well beyond management's influence and control, any airline that did not generate a profit in the past quarter should liquidate tomorrow.

Fighting to a draw with SWA at secondary hubs is not a sign of strength, basis of a viable enterprise. Should AA eventually decide to acquire US, most of the more profitable PHX and PHL services will likely move to international gateways at LAX and LGA / JFK.

MrMan Jul 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 19000652)
any airline that did not generate a profit in the past quarter should liquidate tomorrow.

DL lost half a billion (hedging) and I suspect UA announcement tomorrow (Thursday) won't be Rainbows and Unicorns.

diver858 Jul 25, 2012 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by MrMan (Post 19000853)
DL lost half a billion (hedging) and I suspect UA announcement tomorrow (Thursday) won't be Rainbows and Unicorns.

Apologies; DL and UA are non-operations related:
DL buying a refinery - REALLY?
UA - indegestion from CO merger
Believe the operations-related numbers will be quite strong.

eponymous_coward Jul 25, 2012 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 19000652)
Fighting to a draw with SWA at secondary hubs is not a sign of strength, basis of a viable enterprise. Should AA eventually decide to acquire US, most of the more profitable PHX and PHL services will likely move to international gateways at LAX and LGA / JFK.

If you can't make money serving top-15 USA metropolitan areas with airline service, I say you don't know how to run an airline. One of those places is geographically isolated- nobody's going to want to drive to LAX from PHX, or even TUS, to fly somewhere. Alaska makes money with a grand total of ONE top-15 major metro area in their network, and about ~50% market share in that hub to boot (they don't even dominate it, it's sure no DTW/ATL). So I think the idea that you can't make money flying lots of service out of a region with 4-6 million people is just silly.

US's network isn't great, and obviously you'd need to optimize things, but if AA does the ol' SJC/STL routine of dumping PHL/PHX on the floor so that an LCC can pick up the pieces and expand their market share serving those cities, that's just dumb. People want and need to fly to those cities; if you don't want to accept money for that because you can't figure out a cost structure that works, someone else will be happy to make money instead of you. Isn't that the entire point of this Chapter 11- get AA's costs down so they don't have to hunker down and watch everyone else nibble away at market share?

(The reason why US dumped PIT and LAS is in that link up there too- smaller metro areas than the places they kept, plus LAS was the old HP night hub, which didn't work when fuel prices went crazy.)

FWAAA Jul 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 19002157)
Apologies; DL and UA are non-operations related:
DL buying a refinery - REALLY?
UA - indegestion from CO merger
Believe the operations-related numbers will be quite strong.

I disagree with you about UA. They are going to be somewhat weak. Yesterday, UA announced that its unit revenue growth for the quarter turned out to be a mere 3.0% (and the June number was just 3.5%) after telling everyone just two weeks ago that the June number was between 5% and 6%:

United also posted a smaller-than-expected increase in passenger revenue for June. Every month, airlines reconcile the tickets they expected to be used that month with the tickets that were actually used. United said the second-quarter adjustment was bigger than usual. As recently as July 10, the airline said it expected June per-seat passenger revenue to rise 5 to 6 percent. On Tuesday, it said that revenue measure rose just 3.5 percent in June and 3 percent for the full quarter.

"Today's accounting adjustment is disappointing as it is one in a decently long line of integration-related misses by UAL," UBS analyst Kevin Crissey wrote in a note. He cut his estimate for second-quarter earnings to $1.53 per share, down from $1.70.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...152816460.html

Those operations numbers are horrid compared to AA, DL and US, all of whom turned in much better unit revenue improvements in the second quarter.

To be fair, many are blaming that operations failure on the March 3 computer integration fiasco, so it is kinda merger related.

One can only hope that Jamie Baker and the other analysts take off the kid gloves tomorrow when questioning Smisek on this massive let-down. UA stock has shed over a billion dollars of market cap since July 10 when it released its tepid June numbers, including huge losses on Tuesday when this latest bad news revision was released.

LAXJFKesq Jul 25, 2012 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 19000595)
My only thought would be does DL in a pre-emptive move go after USAir, particularly if AA takes a pass for now. Sure, DL would face anti trust issues and would have give some skin to make anything work.

As the industry is presently constituted, this will never get to 1st base with regulators even with major givebacks especially at LGA, BOS (shuttle routes) and taking an ax to either CLT or ATL. In both cases, I don't see what DL gains?

Indelaware Jul 25, 2012 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat (Post 18959293)
The biggest mistake AA has made was not to acquire another legacy when the other majors were consolidating. By not doing so, they got themselves behind the 8-ball and they are still trying to dig themselves out of this hole.

AA did acquire another legacy carrier -- they acquired TW. AA/TW was then the excuse to get DL/NW by regulators, which was then the excuse to get CO/UA by regulators...

The result, the US has only three significant carriers (excepting WN which has only nominal international routes and is otherwise unique). All have significant financial problems.

Indelaware Jul 25, 2012 11:47 pm

[QUOTE=eponymous_coward;19002215]Alaska makes money with a grand total of ONE top-15 major metro area in their network, and about ~50% market share in that hub to boot (they don't even dominate it, it's sure no DTW/ATL). [QUOTE]

Not sure how you figure this... AS flies to each of the top 15 excepting DTW and MIA.

MAH4546 Jul 25, 2012 11:59 pm

[QUOTE=Indelaware;19003600][QUOTE=eponymous_coward;19002215]Alaska makes money with a grand total of ONE top-15 major metro area in their network, and about ~50% market share in that hub to boot (they don't even dominate it, it's sure no DTW/ATL).

Not sure how you figure this... AS flies to each of the top 15 excepting DTW and MIA.
AS still serves Miami via FLL.

CubsFanJohn Jul 26, 2012 8:58 am

After Tom Horton's comments I do think that it is down to less than a 50/50 chance one will happen during Bankruptcy. With that being said I DO THINK that in the next 5-7 years we will see an AA/US or B6 merger however it will be on AA's terms.

I am starting to believe that Doug Parker's desperation (If he believed that it was a likely scenario he wouldn't be yapping about it so much to the media instead he'd be sitting quietly waiting for the cards to fall) and AA's strong revenue growth I don't believe at this time a AA/US merger would work.

eponymous_coward Jul 26, 2012 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Indelaware (Post 19003600)

As a hub, they have one top-15 major metro area in their network, SEA (their focus city in LAX is weaker than it was earlier this decade, incidentally).

US has three: PHX, PHL, WAS (via DCA).

abeflyer Jul 26, 2012 2:47 pm

Horton Should be Taken to Woodshed

Common reporting is that eventually AA and US will merge either in bankruptcy or the future.

Horton is responsible for AA, but he seems to be putting his ego in front of what is best for the airline. He is in bankruptcy for a reason and should use the tools available to him for the benefit of creditors. It is widely reported that AA has not ruled out a merger with US, but prefers that to wait until after they exit bankruptcy. That is plain stupid and is clearly a setup for bankruptcy number two as US went through when it did not do enough in bankruptcy number one.

Let's say at an airport US has three gate leases and AA has five gate leases, but a combined airline needs only 6. If you wait until after the bankruptcy the combined airline two years from now is left with paying for 8 gate leases. In bankruptcy AA can reject two of their leases and be right sized without a fiscal penalty. Synergies are maximized. Times that by 50 or 75 common airports and the fiscal number raises drastically. US not being in bankruptcy does not have the ability to reject leases for gates, equipment, or facilities. AA does, but if Horton's ego stays in the way the savings for the creditors and future shareholders is lost and you end up with a more expensive airline ala US after its first bankruptcy.

I have not liked many of the policies and practices that Parker has put into place, although I have gotten so used to being on time, in clean planes and my luggage arriving on time, that I have found when flying other airlines that it has shocked me that I missed US. That includes UA, DL and AA. They have been lacking. This time his idea of merger in bankrutpcy makes sense for creditors and shareholders. When you look at US's performance, it essentially turned profits this last quarter equal to UA, which is three times it size. Clearly he knows how to maximize numbers.

It's not personal. It's business.

Horton would have learned that if he didn't have the AA philsophy that they are the largest and the best. That time was many years ago. He should stop trashing the competition and welcome talks.

gegarrenton Jul 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks for sharing

crazyMRer Jul 26, 2012 2:58 pm

abeflyer - Parker loves you!

gemac Jul 26, 2012 2:58 pm

I can see that US flyers would be hoping, perhaps even desperate for a merger. AA flyers, not so much.