Wiki Posts
Search

AA's derelict buildings at LGA: why?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Jumping back in my own thread:

(1) The AA hangars or whatever at LGA have needed a paint job for years- even before AA went baankrupt.

(2) As someone who lives in Manhattan and flies a lot, the mass transit connections to JFK and EWR are OK (although it would be much much much easier if both had one-seat rides, as it's way too confusing to at least my relatives to navigate Penn Station, one of many LIRR or NJ Transit trains and then another connection to an Airtrain).

The connection to LGA is horrid. The M60 bus to LGA, which I take, is a rolling slum-- way way overcrowded and extremely unpleasant. It probably adds 15 minutes to what a subway-only trip would be. Giuliani proposed extending the N train to LGA but I think NIMBYs shot it down. Seeing how congested the highways to LGA are, one could only hope for a subway connection.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
(2) As someone who lives in Manhattan and flies a lot, the mass transit connections to JFK and EWR are OK (although it would be much much much easier if both had one-seat rides, as it's way too confusing to at least my relatives to navigate Penn Station, one of many LIRR or NJ Transit trains and then another connection to an Airtrain).
I'm thankful for what we have, at least to JFK. NJTransit frequencies can occasionally leave something to be desired.

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
The connection to LGA is horrid. The M60 bus to LGA, which I take, is a rolling slum-- way way overcrowded and extremely unpleasant. It probably adds 15 minutes to what a subway-only trip would be. Giuliani proposed extending the N train to LGA but I think NIMBYs shot it down. Seeing how congested the highways to LGA are, one could only hope for a subway connection.
I was under the impression that entrenched interests (like cabs, livery drivers, shuttles, etc.) were strongly against extending rail links out to LGA, just as they had been before the Airtran got built.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
You are right that entrenched car service companies, etc. opposed a rail connection to LGA.

Originally Posted by fastflyer
The US has an effective automobile infrastructure that pays for itself via the federal gasoline tax. We have more than enough transportation options now.
First, gas taxes don't fully pay for highways in the US. There are plenty of sources to confirm this, but the quickest one I could find is http://www.houstontomorrow.org/livab...ys-for-itself/
There are all sorts of costs, from highway patrols to much of the infrastructure, that aren't paid for by gas taxes.

Second, have you taken the LIE or the BQE lately, especially during rush hour? Neither is effective or efficient- both are way over-congested- and they are just two of many.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I don't consider the various state police patrolling the highways part of the federal highway infrastructure. The federal gas tax may need to be tweaked around the edges, but it is the direct and proper way to fund the national highways, including the BQE and the LIE, both of which have interstate designations.

Yes, I've experienced highway congestion. And obviously the decision on extending the N line or any other line to LGA would be New York's and the MTA's. However, I would suggest that the US has many higher priorities for the federal budget, and probably New York state and city have some higher priorities as well. I oppose using federal money for essentially local projects.

I stand by my upthread remarks that expensive rail infrastructure is a pipe dream invoked by (often non-taxpaying) travelers who are too cheap to take a taxi or who feel that the bus is not worthy.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Isn't everything in LGA 'derelict'? 'just sayin'

'funny that comment about Grand Central. When I lived there in the '70's, it was anything but a "jewel". More like an eyesore. I used to go through it twice a day 'sure is pretty now, though. Things change, and NYC is a far richer city than it was back then.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I oppose using federal money for essentially local projects.

I stand by my upthread remarks that expensive rail infrastructure is a pipe dream invoked by (often non-taxpaying) travelers who are too cheap to take a taxi or who feel that the bus is not worthy.
Although I agree is in some ways that these are "local" projects", the fact remains that airports like JFK, LGA, LAX, and MIA are major NATIONAL gateways for travel into (and among) the U.S.. They likewise deserve some additional attention and assistance from the government in order to accommodate the overwhelming stream of passengers.

Also, I disagree that rail infrastructure is a pipe dream. It's really not too much to ask, and wouldn't require THAT much work, at least to extend to LGA. And, as others have mentioned, if the entrenched lobbies weren't making it so difficult it would be much easier to accomplish.
The Port Authority is again evaluating a plan to revamp LGA's central terminal and the plan includes "space for a future rail station at the airport". http://nycaviation.com/2012/02/lagua...minal-dilemma/ Granted, this is still a long way off even if it ever happens, but at least they are considering it.

By the way, just because I don't want to pay $50 for a taxi ride doesn't mean I'm cheap. It just means I don't want to take a taxi--the line can be annoying, the driver can be annoying, and the traffic can be extremely annoying. I don't like being forced into it. An option to take a train directly from Manhattan even for a similar price would be preferable.

And another thing, no, a bus is not worthy. This isn't a crosstown jaunt, a school field trip, or a ride to the hertz rental car office--its travel from one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world to one of the busiest airports in the United States, a crowded bus doesn't cut it.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
For all of you LGA haters I'm in T2 DL at JFK. I forgot how much of a dump this place really is, makes LGA D Concourse look like a palace. It might even be worse than the old AA JFK T8 building. IIRC this terminal is going to be torn down as it should.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: A few
Nyg yes it is being torn down and replaced unlike Lga terminal d. And if you really want to see how bad it can get go check out Lga term c
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
For all of you LGA haters I'm in T2 DL at JFK. I forgot how much of a dump this place really is, makes LGA D Concourse look like a palace. It might even be worse than the old AA JFK T8 building. IIRC this terminal is going to be torn down as it should.
T2 at JFK is not being torn down. It is T3 that is scheduled to be torn down. An airside connector will be built between T2 and T4 which DL is enlarging and renovating as a replacement for T3.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )
There is something Gotham-esque about them actually, I like them, even the old UAL logo with the red/blue tulip on landside raodway at their "hangar/cargo drop off"..at the same time, I am hearing they may be going and renovation of CTB may occur as well...
Old Feb 19, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
I've only flew in and out of LGA a few times. Don't remember those buildings however from the pics, they look kind of classic to me - I like them.

If AA (or New York) cared about cleaning up an image (AA wise), my recommendation is to demolish or at least do major rebuild of the LGA terminals. They remind me of vintage greyhound bus terminals from the 70's (not in a good way). It would also be nice to not have to clear security again when going from one terminal to another in a mini-hub or focus city or whatever they call LGA.

JFK used to be the same way but I "think" they fixed that with the new wing??? At least I know I did not have to clear security again the last couple times I changed planes at JFK, it would be nice if LGA followed suit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.