Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA stock (now AAMRQ) investment / valuation issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This thread has been set aside for discussing AAMRQ as an investment, but be aware this is not FlyerTalk's purvue (earning and burning miles, flying).

Disclaimer - link to this guideline
NEVER rely on information or opinions posted on FlyerTalk to replace the information that you receive from your frequent traveler programs. While FlyerTalk is full of great information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information provided on the boards.

FlyerTalk is founded on the principles of support, empowerment, information and entertainment. Use good judgment when considering how to use information derived from the forums and consult representatives from the appropriate programs before doing anything that might affect your travel or put your miles and points at risk. Remember that what's right for one person may not be right for you.

FlyerTalk is not liable for any loss or damage caused by information obtained through our forums.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JHIN: Completely incorrect. I don't know where to begin, but here's a shot:

Even if the existing AAMRQ stock is not cancelled and gets to retain some value, the $8 billion hypothetical/assumed value of AMR will be new stock issued to the creditors of AMR (and new stock issued to the existing LCC shareholders). In most Ch 11 cases, the existing AAMRQ would be canceled without any value at the time of reorganization and replaced with all-new stock distributed to the unsecured creditors of AMR. The existing stockholders would see their stock cancelled. Worthless. No value.

In this case, perhaps the existing stockholders will get one share of the new US-AA (let's call it AMRNEW) in exchange for, let's say, perhaps 100 shares of the existing AAMRQ. So maybe each current share would be worth, maybe, a dime. Or a nickel.

Your post doesn't take into account the billions of dollars of new stock that must go to the AMR unsecured creditors - as they will not be paid in cash - but in new stock.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I doubt too many would come to FlyerTalk searching for investment advice, and I would frankly advise that's not at all what FT is about. But here are what some airline-savvy people have thought:

"Once you get hooked on the airline business, it's worse than dope."
— Ed Acker, while Chairman of Air Florida

"These days no one can make money on the goddamn airline business. The economics represent sheer hell."
— C. R. Smith, President of American Airlines.

"A recession is when you have to tighten your belt; depression is when you have no belt to tighten. When you've lost your trousers - you're in the airline business."
— Sir Adam Thomson

"If the Wright brothers were alive today Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs."
— Herb Kelleher, Southwest Airlines, USA Today, 8 June 1994

"The worst sort of business is one that grows rapidly, requires significant capital to engender the growth, and then earns little or no money. Think airlines. Here a durable competitive advantage has proven elusive ever since the days of the Wright Brothers. Indeed, if a farsighted capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk, he would have done his successors a huge favor by shooting Orville down."
— Warren Buffett, annual letter to Berkshire Hathaway shareholders, February 2008.

"Running an airline is like having a baby: fun to conceive, but hell to deliver."
— C. E. Woolman, principal founder Delta Air Lines

"People who invest in aviation are the biggest suckers in the world."
— David G. Neeleman, after raising a record $128 million to start New Air (the then working name for what became JetBlue Airways), quoted in Business Week, 3 May 1999

"I'm flying high and couldn't be more confident about the future."
— Freddy Laker, Laker Airways, 3 days before the collapse of Laker Airways, 3 February 1982.

"This is a nasty, rotten business."
— Robert L. Crandall, CEO & President of American Airlines.

"The game we are playing her is closest to the old game of 'Christians and lions.'"

and finally,

"I've never invested in any airline. I'm an airline manager. I don't invest in airlines. And I always said to the employees of American, 'This is not an appropriate investment. It's a great place to work and it's a great company that does important work. But airlines are not an investment.'"

Anyway, good luck with that.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by JHIN
AA as the news reports is expected to merge with USAir and it will be named American Airlines with an estimated value of $11B. I'm not an expert around stock values and math but it does seem to me that there is an upside - anyone care to comment?

AA today has 335M shares outstanding & a $462M market cap
Value $1.37/share and currently trading at $1.45

UsAir has $2.3B market cap & 163M shares outstanding which puts it right at $14.37 about where it trades today.

This is an all stock deal so combined the carriers end up with 498M shares outstanding@ $11B which to mean translates into $22.00 per share??? Correct??

A $150,000 investment = 100,000 shares and a Diff $1.50 to $22.00 means a $20.50 per share upside potential putting an initial $150K investment at netting $2,050,000.00 gross profit. Over some period of time.

Of course it may not be instant - looks like United and Delta coming out of bankruptcy took about 3-4 months to hit any double digit numbers and United today is above $20 range, Delta today's worlds largest carrier is in the mid $14 range and if AA tops them as expected as world's largest carrier makes me wonder how fast they hit $22 per share??

I'm still contemplating an investment here.....What is anyone's thoughts?
The problem with your comparison with United and Delta is that you fail to realize that the United and Delta stock values is of the NEW stock that was issued after emerging from bankruptcy. Not sure what the shareholders of the old stock of United and Delta were given but I'd bet it was "NADA"!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by JDiver
"I've never invested in any airline. I'm an airline manager. I don't invest in airlines. And I always said to the employees of American, 'This is not an appropriate investment. It's a great place to work and it's a great company that does important work. But airlines are not an investment.'"
I've always loved that quote--- it's so old school! Could you imagine the CEO of a public company saying something like that today?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Originally Posted by FWAAA
JHIN: Completely incorrect. I don't know where to begin, but here's a shot:

Even if the existing AAMRQ stock is not cancelled and gets to retain some value, the $8 billion hypothetical/assumed value of AMR will be new stock issued to the creditors of AMR (and new stock issued to the existing LCC shareholders). In most Ch 11 cases, the existing AAMRQ would be canceled without any value at the time of reorganization and replaced with all-new stock distributed to the unsecured creditors of AMR. The existing stockholders would see their stock cancelled. Worthless. No value.

In this case, perhaps the existing stockholders will get one share of the new US-AA (let's call it AMRNEW) in exchange for, let's say, perhaps 100 shares of the existing AAMRQ. So maybe each current share would be worth, maybe, a dime. Or a nickel.

Your post doesn't take into account the billions of dollars of new stock that must go to the AMR unsecured creditors - as they will not be paid in cash - but in new stock.
So the value is not in AAMRQ but perhaps more in LCC who is being acquired?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Not sure what the shareholders of the old stock of United and Delta were given but I'd bet it was "NADA"!
I think they actually received "bupkis."
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHIN
So the value is not in AAMRQ but perhaps more in LCC who is being acquired?
Exactly!! LCC has more than tripled since AMR filed its Ch 11 petition because if there's a merger, they're likely the only current stockholders of either company who will get the new stock (along with the AMR creditors). Of course, the time to make a lot of money with LCC was to get in during November/December 2011.

The existing AMR stockholders may get a pittance to buy their cooperation in voting in favor of a merger, as Harvey Miller hinted a few weeks ago. But the existng AMR stockholders (who hold AAMRQ) will for the most part be left out in the cold while LCC stockholders and AMR's unsecured creditors split what might be $10 or $11 billion of new stock. At that time, the existing AAMRQ will be canceled - it will simply cease to exist. That's what happens in most bankruptcy cases.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I like the honesty in it. Any CEO today (say, Horton?) would likely get flogged in public.

This cat doesn't play

Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
I've always loved that quote--- it's so old school! Could you imagine the CEO of a public company saying something like that today?
Originally Posted by JDiver

Anyway, good luck with that.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

My favorite airline riddle:

Q: How do you make a small fortune in the airline business?

A: Start off with a big one.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Ua stock was worthless after the bankruptcy. New shares were issued after the recap. Not sure how a stock merger works in bankruptcy, but if you're just looking now my vote says you're too late. I wouldn't touch a bankrupt stock of any company this far into chapter 11.

Here's a 5 year chart on UAL. Note the $40 starting period. This was the run up to the original CO merge rumor, which Continental rejected. Stock then fall quickly to under $5. It rises, then some idiot picks up the original bankruptcy story as news 6 years later causing it to go under $1 in minutes (stock halts trading as Evryone goes what the &$@@?) Goes back under $5. The the US courtship starts and CO comes in....stock has been flat since.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=UAL&...=on&z=l&q=l&c=

Yes Virginia,you can make money in airline stocks, but remember the other stock saying, buy low, and in the case of airlines, have the your hand firmly on the rip cord and be prepared for a quick exit.

Again, 5 year chart is well after UA came out of bankruptcy. If you bought the stock in the $30s in 2008 and you didn't take a loss you're still waiting.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
AAMRQ is down 11.03% already today.

Make that -17.93%

Last edited by IflyonAA; Feb 12, 2013 at 11:31 am
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Now that the merger has been announced, I've seen that AA stake holders will get 72% of the new company, but has anyone seen any breakdown of this, what % if any will go to AAMRQ stock holders?

A half hour into the trading day, AAMRQ is at $2.43, +86% today, and it's been a tight trading range 2.35 - 2.47.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by swag
Now that the merger has been announced, I've seen that AA stake holders will get 72% of the new company, but has anyone seen any breakdown of this, what % if any will go to AAMRQ stock holders?

A half hour into the trading day, AAMRQ is at $2.43, +86% today, and it's been a tight trading range 2.35 - 2.47.
The WSJ article from yesterday said AAMRQ holders would only receive 3.5% of the new stock plus some complicated ill explained performance payments/distributions. I doubt those performance incentives justify the new stock premium, but the stock is clearly worth something.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Exactly!! LCC has more than tripled since AMR filed its Ch 11 petition because if there's a merger, they're likely the only current stockholders of either company who will get the new stock (along with the AMR creditors). Of course, the time to make a lot of money with LCC was to get in during November/December 2011.
Even so, I can't imagine having bought it. There were points even today, when the stock took a traditional post-merger-announcement-acquierer-dive, where the market cap was less than cash on hand at the end of 2012. Would you invest in a company whose stock was worth less than its cash in the bank? Wall St. is essentially saying that shares are worth less than zero...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
The WSJ article from yesterday said AAMRQ holders would only receive 3.5% of the new stock plus some complicated ill explained performance payments/distributions. I doubt those performance incentives justify the new stock premium, but the stock is clearly worth something.
Well, at the moment AAMRQ is trading just north of $2, and its market cap is about $694m, so one would essentially have to assume the new stock will double in value in order to justify paying that for the current AA stock. I understand the whole "day traders looking for a quick buck" thing, but for someone like me (typically a value, sometimes growth, investor) I just don't see it. As of yesterday, when the shares were about $1.25/1.30 and the market cap was about 440m, then it may have been worth taking a chance on (4% of $11b being traded for a more secure 3.5% of $11b could be compelling, but only as a gamble).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.