Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Elite and non-elite traveling together on separate PNRs - standby allowed for both?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite and non-elite traveling together on separate PNRs - standby allowed for both?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive

My girlfriend and I will be flying DFW-LAS in a couple weeks. Because she has to return a few days before I do, we are on separate PNRs. On the outbound, we'd like to go standby on an earlier flight. I know standby is reserved for elites. Since we are traveling together, will they let her standby with me? Has anyone had experience with this? I would guess it depends on the agent working the flight.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by LucWise
My girlfriend and I will be flying DFW-LAS in a couple weeks. Because she has to return a few days before I do, we are on separate PNRs. On the outbound, we'd like to go standby on an earlier flight. I know standby is reserved for elites. Since we are traveling together, will they let her standby with me? Has anyone had experience with this? I would guess it depends on the agent working the flight.
She will be able to stand by with you, but will not (in theory) inherit your standby priority, even if you are on the same PNR. Of course the GA's discretion plays a big role in these situations.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:28 am

Free standby is reserved for elites, but anybody can go on standby for a fee, right?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You are correct

Originally Posted by pongben
Free standby is reserved for elites, but anybody can go on standby for a fee, right?
Non elites can go standby for a fee.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pongben
Originally Posted by arollins
Are you sure? I thought non-elites could only do a Confirmed Flight Change (for a fee), but not standby.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by gemac
Are you sure? I thought non-elites could only do a Confirmed Flight Change (for a fee), but not standby.
If a non-elite purchases the "Boarding With Flexibility" package, the ability to standby is included.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: AA PLT
While traveling with a non-elite companion recently on separate but linked PNRs I was told by a GA at DFW that we could not both stand by. I'm not sure if this is correct but I didn't press the issue since our scheduled flight was only about 45 minutes later.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, you are incorrect. Elites may standby for free.

Nonelites cannot standby unless paid for as part of a bundle. Otherwise, nonelites may only do a confirmed change for $50.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I have zero success with this.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by gemac
isn't that better than standby? I was going to pay, I rather pay for a confirmed flight change than a standby...

Also, you can standby as a non-elite with a fee (when they confirmed flight change is not available)
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by bbmatt
isn't that better than standby? I was going to pay, I rather pay for a confirmed flight change than a standby...
If it is available, sure! But many times CFC is not even if there are empty seats.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:25 pm

non-elites are SOL

I can tell you from bitter experience that the non-elite companion cannot change flights without paying $50 or more. Call it standby, or confirmed flight change, it costs non-elites money. In our case, it was particularly disappointing because we were on the same PNR and therefore my non-elite companion WAS entitled to Same Day Standby (free) but when we approached the GA to use this benefit, the first thing he did was SPLIT us into two PNRs. The second thing he did? The next thing he did was to inform us that because my companion wasn't on my PNR, he'd have to pay $50.

Yeat another further, different, additional.... learning experience
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by bbmatt

Also, you can standby as a non-elite with a fee (when they confirmed flight change is not available)
CFC is subject to E fare availability. no E fare no change even if there are empty seats, while elites can get free seats as long as they are empty after boarding.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SGH-T959 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Originally Posted by FWAAA
No, you are incorrect. Elites may standby for free.

Nonelites cannot standby unless paid for as part of a bundle. Otherwise, nonelites may only do a confirmed change for $50.
And... Confirmed flight change is now $75
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
When did it go up to $75? That's annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.