Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2012 xxx Flight Cancellation / Delay / Diversion on (date) (consolidated-archival)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 xxx Flight Cancellation / Delay / Diversion on (date) (consolidated-archival)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vail
I don't want a Hotel Voucher, or a meal voucher.
Maybe I was not clear.
The gate agent was asking for volunteers to fly the next day.
But the people were told that there would be no transportation vouchers back to the Hotels or Hotel vouchers for the night.
I have a car and a home so I needed neither.
So I still don't get what you wanted AA to do for you, that they didn't do. Other than post the delay on the video monitor in addition to telling you verbally at the gate, of course, which you've already mentioned.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Where do you think EGE is and why do you think it will take 5 hours to fly a part in when it takes two hours to drive from Den to Ege?
Have you taken into consideration UAX flight schedule from DEN to EGE? I doubt that AA is going to charter a plane to fly the necessary part.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
So I still don't get what you wanted AA to do for you, that they didn't do. Other than post the delay on the video monitor in addition to telling you verbally at the gate, of course, which you've already mentioned.
What they should do firstly is update the website when they know there is a delay.
Flight 2306 finally departed at 2:15pm.
Even now it stills shows the continuation of flight 2306 leaving DFW to MIa before the new scheduled arrival time in DFW.
Now they know---because I know--that the flight cannot leave DFW to MIa before it arrives from EGE--same plane --same gate---already showing delayed---just not the correct delay.

As for the gate agents asking for volunteers for the next day---something should be done for those people--or don't ask for volunteers.

People are used to vouchers if they are asked to volunteer--so of course there was a huge lineup of people expecting something when most were not prepared to stay if nothing was offered.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
What they should do firstly is update the website when they know there is a delay.
Flight 2306 finally departed at 2:15pm.
Even now it stills shows the continuation of flight 2306 leaving DFW to MIa before the new scheduled arrival time in DFW.
Now they know---because I know--that the flight cannot leave DFW to MIa before it arrives from EGE--same plane --same gate---already showing delayed---just not the correct delay.

As for the gate agents asking for volunteers for the next day---something should be done for those people--or don't ask for volunteers.

People are used to vouchers if they are asked to volunteer--so of course there was a huge lineup of people expecting something when most were not prepared to stay if nothing was offered.
Again, generally AA is not going to give hotel vouchers unless the flight is oversold or will be cancelled. If there was availability on the next day's flight possibly the GA was willing to reaccomodate local paxs that would have rather just traveled the next day.

I would agree that AA personnel should have better communicated and offered food vouchers for such a long delay.

Also the DFW/MIA portion of the flight may go with an a/c switch rather than wait for the inbound EGE flight (particularly if there were a sizable number of paxs that would miss connections at MIA).

I agree that long delays are frustrating particularly when proper communication is not used. My suggestion is to point this out in an email to AA.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

2306 from DFW to MIA departed at 1309 and took off at 1323. It landed at 1648 and is currently taxiing to the gate. A 767-300ER was used for that leg instead of the originally scheduled 757-200.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
2306 from DFW to MIA departed at 1309 and took off at 1323. It landed at 1648 and is currently taxiing to the gate. A 767-300ER was used for that leg instead of the originally scheduled 757-200.
Than the website is nonsense--it still shows the flight delayed 4 hours from DFW to Mia
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:21 pm

Than the website is nonsense--it still shows the flight delayed 4 hours from DFW to Mia
I am not sure where you are looking.

I obtained the information that I posted at AA Cargo. AA.com Flight Status page gives consistent information.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
I am not sure where you are looking.

I obtained the information that I posted at AA Cargo. AA.com Flight Status page gives consistent information.
It was finally updated on AA.com--a little after the fact don't you think?
Old incorrect information is worse than no information at all.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
It was finally updated on AA.com--a little after the fact don't you think?
Old incorrect information is worse than no information at all.
Benzodiazepines. AA needs to have a big bowl of these at every counter where flights get delayed or cancelled. One for every three hours of delay.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: UGS, AA CK
AA 554 Diverted to SFO

Flight 554 on July 19 (today) has been turned around to SFO about 50 minutes into flight. Anybody have insight into cause for diversion?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by staren937
Flight 554 on July 19 (today) has been turned around to SFO about 50 minutes into flight. Anybody have insight into cause for diversion?
Expert Flyer Flight Status remarks show reason, but I don't have the right (TOS) to re-post that paid info. (I don't know all the codes anyway....)

EDIT: Purpose of post is to tell you (at least one place) where you can get the info you seek. Also, this post may well end up being merged with the existing post on flight diversions, etc.

Last edited by Madison Guy; Jul 19, 2012 at 6:10 pm
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by brp
Given the lags I've seen between them knowing what's going on and information being updated, I'd say that AA CAN go quite a ways further toward what they SHOULD do than they are currently doing in the area of information.

As many know, I'm a pretty strong advocate for AA, and have reported having very few flight problems (much to the disbelief, chagrin and consternation of some here). But the general area of information is one that I routinely find disappointing.

Cheers.
Amen to that. The website itself always seems to be the last place to be updated.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
AA flt # 2193 delay reason ?

Does anyone know what the delay reason is for AA # 2193 is today?
Weather or mech ? 1.5 hrs late so far

HP
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Jul 22 AA 840 MIA-EWR diverted to RSW for Mechanical

So 20k feet or so in the air, on our way to Newark and captain announces "something wrong with the nose cone, I'm hearing some wind noise, never heard something like this before so we're landing ASAP"

On the ground in RSW and the flight crew is being incredible. Starting a movie, handing out headphones in Coach. Drinks and nuts in 1st. Captain is being incredibly good about letting pax know what's happening, and made a point to say FAs will nt know anything more than what he says on the PA so don't keep asking them.

Update: looks like we might be here a while. Something's wrong with the nose for sure. Waiting on a mechanic and they're making preparations to get us off the plane... Oh oh. Time to ask for rule 80/240 accommodation...

At 8:00pm: back to where I started. So 840 is still on the ground in RSW, appears to have been some significant damage to the nose. Part being flown in and fixed, hopefully, tonight. And will fly out tomorrow at 7:00am. Of course I have to be in NY tonight so...

I thought I did everything right. As soon as they said plane was out of service, I called the ExecPlat desk with my flight options pulled up on EF. They couldn't suggest anything out that night to NY, I suggested a United flight at 5:25 with availability. The agent sees it, books me on it, and I run to the ticketing desk (darn no Admirals Club). I'm in line while the EP agent is going above and beyond to get it ticketed without having to have me wait in line.... Finally about 30 mins later, all done. Walk over to United - "sorry sir, you don't have a confirmed reservation". We never confirmed it....l. Arghhhh!! By which time all options tonight are exhausted. So I check and there's a seat on the 9pm out of Miami and I ask them to hold that for me. Gate agent gets me a boarding card etc and says they'll pay for a taxi back. I suggest a rental car instead - "far cheaper" I assume (2.5 hours to Miami) but "sorry liability won't allow us to pay for a rental".... Oh well... Taxi with another pax to MIA, get here, get switched to the 8:35 to LGA (better for me anyway) which is, of course 35 mins delayed so far....

Ah well... I wonder if I can get mileage credit for MIA-RSW??? And back

At least we're safe, first time I've heard a captain use the words "odd noise and flight control issues that I've never experienced before)...

All in all, many will disagree I'm sure, but the Captain, flight crew and agents on the ground were informative, helpful, sympathetic and efficient. All I could ever expect in this situation.. Kudos to them.

Last edited by CargoHoldFlyer; Jul 22, 2012 at 6:02 pm
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by HighPotter
Does anyone know what the delay reason is for AA # 2193 is today?
Weather or mech ? 1.5 hrs late so far

HP
1. Go to aacargo.com
2. Select the button for "Flight Info"
3. Enter the flight number
4. Result says "Maintenance"

That is for the IAD to DFW leg. It was scheduled for 9:30 and departed at 10:07
That's only 37 minutes
Now, for the DFW to Belize leg that was supposed to leave at 12:30, I don't know. What does the gate agent say?
It looks like that is only 2 hours delayed.

Last edited by mvoight; Jul 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.