Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW requiring gate check for connecting passenger carry-ons?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
They are crazy at SFO over this. There is always someone right out of security making people put their bags in the sizers. I think they are hired by AA.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I don't really care for that, other than it saving me time when I have to claim the baggage later. I would rather have everything with me.
The one time there was an incentive at BOS, it was 1K RDM.
At HKG they also do this, being on a YVR-HKG flt, they let me bring an oversized carryon, but once in HKG to connect to SHA on KA, they made me gate check my bag. I was in F though, so I didn't pay anything.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by dnbglobal
But as I recall the overhead is described as "shared space" - so if someone decides to bring a single small bag on board, is their call on the space any less than someone who brings on a just a rollaboard. Otherwise, if the small bag person wants to keep their under seat space clear, they could instead go to the ridiculous length of taking a rollaboard that has the same contents as a small bag - basically empty!

But whatever the case - let's have consistency of enforcement.
I'm not sure whether each passenger is "entitled" for a space in overhead bins. I feel if I only bring a small item, I've already saved some space for other passengers so I should feel guilty free to put my bag up. while if I bring on a rollerboard I won't put anything else up.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
I had noticed over the past couple of weeks that when boarding, after the GA hands me back the BP, they've been taking a *really* hard look at my bag. I haven't been stopped, though.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:54 am

i flew out of LGA last week and there was an employee who was sizing every bag as people neared the front of the check-in line / approached the counters.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
About 3 years ago, I switched froma 22" bag to a 20" bag. I can carry close to the same amount of stuff and it is not going to be a size issue. Frankly, it makes my life much easier.

That said, I have not figured out how to pack a suit in to a 20" bag, so when I need to take a suit (i.e. most business trips), I check a suit bag, but carry two days of clothes with me in the 20" bag.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I found a brief discussion of the bag in question by searching on "Kirkland". Apparently they can go into the sizer if you angle it slightly to get the wheel in first. Hubby is in a meeting for most of the day today - I'll have to ask him later if he attempted that.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:26 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by PresRDC
About 3 years ago, I switched froma 22" bag to a 20" bag. I can carry close to the same amount of stuff and it is not going to be a size issue. Frankly, it makes my life much easier.

That said, I have not figured out how to pack a suit in to a 20" bag, so when I need to take a suit (i.e. most business trips), I check a suit bag, but carry two days of clothes with me in the 20" bag.
I also switched to 20" to ensure a hassle-free carry-on experience.

When I need a suit at a destination, I wear it on the plane(s). Thankfully, I can leave early enough to get it cleaned/pressed before I need to wear it at my destination, if necessary.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
We had an FA stand at the wall between FC and Y, specifically telling pax where to put their bags. She would point to a purse, for example, and say "under the seat". Also which side of the plane to put the rollaboard.

We got out 15 minutes or so early with no gate checked bags - pretty full flight.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ehallison
I found a brief discussion of the bag in question by searching on "Kirkland". Apparently they can go into the sizer if you angle it slightly to get the wheel in first. Hubby is in a meeting for most of the day today - I'll have to ask him later if he attempted that.
When I've seen them doing the sizer check, they required you to drop it straight in - no force, no angling. The sizer is open ended on one side so even if you angle it to get it in there, once it's in there if it's over the end they aren't going to allow it.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
per Carry-On Allowance at aa.com:
You can carry on one small bag plus one personal item per passenger as long as the carry-on bag fits comfortably in the sizer without being forced and does not exceed overall dimensions of 45 inches (length + width + height).

The maximum dimensions cannot exceed any of the following measurements: 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall or 114cm (56 x 35 x 23 cm). All carry-on items should be stowed in an overhead bin.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
I went through DFW on Monday and didn't see anything unusual. I have noticed in past years that the DFW ground staff gets snarkier with carry-on limits around the holidays. Probably due to increased loads, with people carrying presents as extra baggage.

My bag sounds like yours - 22" high, plus a little bit more due to the wheels and the bumpers on the bottom. It's silly they disqualify them for that. Just in case I run into a situation where they're being draconian about the wheels and the bumpers, I replaced the nuts holding them on in the inside with wingnuts - that would let me remove them and toss them inside the bag if the need arose. Haven't had to do that yet.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I hope they continue enforcing this. It's the people that board with excessive carry ons that cause the loading/unloading process to take so long.

I watched someone spend 2+ minutes trying to force an oversize bag into an overhead last weekend.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Not an exclusive DFW issue. Last week 3 of us had bags allowed in DFW and not on the return out of LGA and had to gate check. Finally starting to see more enforcement. They tried to squeeze it in the sizer but no dice.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
Great to hear that the gate agents are finally taking charge of the over size carry on problem. Returned home last night afer having flown MKE-DFW-SEA-SJC-ORD-MKE. Most of the flights were full, with some being oversold. I was stunned to see the HUGE carry ons some people had. Giant duffel bags that came nowhere close to fitting in the overhead. People trying to stuff bags under seats and sitting with their feet on the bags. What a mess. Thanks to the GA's that are trying to enforce the rules!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.