Wiki Posts
Search

Shift in upgrade priority?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:08 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Shift in upgrade priority?

[N.B. There must have been a lot of blank stares over at the Air Canada forum when I posted this there in error. One of the kind souls there showed me my error. I hope I do better this time.]

I don't know if this has been covered recently, but I had an odd experience yesterday that makes me think my knowledge may be a bit dated. I’ve been under the assumption that the time of request for upgrade (essentially when tickets are purchased) is the determining factor for your place in line, subject to elite status. I purchased a ticket seven months ago for an RIC-SAN itinerary through DFW.

My wife and I are both Platinum. I believe I purchased my ticket before my wife's (separate locator), but I'm not sure. My upgrade for RIC-DFW came in pretty close to the 72 hour period. There were plenty of open F seats, and my wife got her RIC-DFW upgrade the next day or so. I didn't pay much attention about checking in at 24 hours before our flights, but I did do it about 15 hours before, because I wanted to be sure to check the box to be on the "gate list" for the DFW-SAN segment. (The seating chart showed four F seats not reserved.) I had assumed my position would be governed by the same principles that applied before going on the gate list.

Long story short, I may have checked in my wife first (I'm not sure), but when we got to DFW she was #3 and I was #4 on the gate upgrade list which surprised me because I had been upgraded for the first segment before her, and now she was ahead of me in the queue. (She wound up getting the last seat, and I settled for the exit row.) So my question is simply: does the priority from buying 7 months in advance disappear when you're placed on the gate list? I recall that we used to scramble to be the first on the gate list, but I thought that all changed a couple of years ago. From what happened yesterday, I can see that I don't understand the rules.

Anyone up on this? Thanks.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Don't know about your specific question, but I do know that when I was listed for an upgrade with my SO, the GA passed us over and gave the upgrade to someone lower on the list thinking my SO and I wouldn't want to split up (for the flight, that is).

It's possible that when two passengers are tied together on an upgrade that the two appear in alphabetical order. Just a guess and not related to my anecdote.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
When you buy a ticket 7 months in advance, chances are there are schedule changes that will occur prior to departure. These changes may include flight time, flight number, or routing.

When this occurs, despite the fact that sometimes the upgrade box may still say "Requested"--a lot of times the upgrade request is "lost" and you have to call an AAgent to get it reinstated. Obviously, this can be misleading if the check box is still there the whole time.

It is possible that your upgrade request was lost but your wife's was not. So, what could have happened was your wife checked in with the original date of purchase, and your upgrade priority was "newer" because it may have gotten lost.

This is the only thing I can really think of. Any time there's a schedule change regardless of what it shows online I always call in to make sure.

Sorry about that!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by demkr
When you buy a ticket 7 months in advance, chances are there are schedule changes that will occur prior to departure. These changes may include flight time, flight number, or routing.

When this occurs, despite the fact that sometimes the upgrade box may still say "Requested"--a lot of times the upgrade request is "lost" and you have to call an AAgent to get it reinstated. Obviously, this can be misleading if the check box is still there the whole time.

It is possible that your upgrade request was lost but your wife's was not. So, what could have happened was your wife checked in with the original date of purchase, and your upgrade priority was "newer" because it may have gotten lost.

This is the only thing I can really think of. Any time there's a schedule change regardless of what it shows online I always call in to make sure.

Sorry about that!
Just some really great info here. Building on this, I'm curious - could the OP's upgrade priority be reinstated? Not just the status - but their original place on the list - even with what might have been a change in flight number, schedule, etc?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Ritz
Just some really great info here. Building on this, I'm curious - could the OP's upgrade priority be reinstated? Not just the status - but their original place on the list - even with what might have been a change in flight number, schedule, etc?
Yes, normally the date of request should carry over. The system unfortunately does quirk off, so it's a good idea to call AA up and verify.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I disagree with this statement.

Originally Posted by flippy110
It's possible that when two passengers are tied together on an upgrade that the two appear in alphabetical order. Just a guess and not related to my anecdote.
My wife and I are both EXP, I always buy our tickets together under my acct #, yet when we are on the upgrade list, my SO is always ahead of me. She is ROL, D, I'm ROL, A. Go figure that one.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by arollins
My wife and I are both EXP, I always buy our tickets together under my acct #, yet when we are on the upgrade list, my SO is always ahead of me. She is ROL, D, I'm ROL, A. Go figure that one.
It's all very strange. I added myself (at the time - plt) and my hubby (nothing) to a waitlist once (at the airport) - he showed up ahead of me. Think it was because he was added first and then took my status? Not sure.. but was irritating at the time (I even posted about it here). Regardless, we were both up'd so all was good.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:07 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
mrs. brp and I have different last names. We show up in different orders at different times. No rhyme nor reason.

Cheers.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Gold; Club Carlson - Gold; Marriott - Silver; AA - Platinum
I was told that if you didn't get your upgrade in advance of check-in, then the priority list for upgrades is based on check-in time. So it helps if you are connecting to that flight as you have the ability to check-in sooner than somebody just taking that particular flight.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by LotusSooty
I was told that if you didn't get your upgrade in advance of check-in, then the priority list for upgrades is based on check-in time. So it helps if you are connecting to that flight as you have the ability to check-in sooner than somebody just taking that particular flight.
That is only true for SWU upgrades.
For "sticker" (500 mile electronic) upgrades, it's based on original request date within elite tier.

All else being equal, through/connecting passengers trump originating passengers.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
AA knows that in order to keep you flying, they need to keep her happy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.